• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in middle of april; what to bring? Whats the weather like?

Lindajam

Time of past OR future Camino
My first
Is there anyone that have been walking fram middle of april til middle of may, and know how the weather is like? Im not sure what clothes to bring...
And; should I reserve space at the albergues?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Lindajam welcome to the forum, hope you have a wonderful camino. Where are you starting? If from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port then the weather at the moment is very cold and there is lots of snow. See this thread. The Route Napoleon is closed until the end of March because until then it is deemed too unsafe to walk to Roncesvalles via the higher route, in fact two people had to be rescued by helicopter yesterday.

By mid-April it may be starting to warm up but even though spring is coming to SJPDP, it can still be winter in the mountains above and Roncesvales, which sits at about 900 metres.

Regardless of where you start on the Camino Frances, the weather in April and early May is very unpredictable. No-one can tell with certainly what will be the conditions. It is likely to be rainy, it might be glorious and sunny, snowstorms are possible in the mountains.

Read through the many forum threads on packing lists and that will help you. I take a merino singlet top that I can wear alone when it is hot, and over it layer a long sleeve top (probably also merino, but a technical long sleeve is fine if you prefer) and then something like a jumper or down vest. Over the top I can wear my Altus raincoat which is both windproof and waterproof. Take some leggings or thermal long johns as well as your hiking pants (or skirt). They don't weight much, double as pyjamas, and can be very useful if it is cold.

You need to be able to strip down if it is hot, and then layer up if it is cold, with a good windproof and waterproof shell to go over the top.

In mid April I should not think you need to reserve accommodation except for Orisson if you plan to stop there, and perhaps ring ahead when you get close to Sarria.

Is there anyone that have been walking fram middle of april til middle of may, and know how the weather is like? Im not sure what clothes to bring...
I am walking in the middle of April as well, and my first time. I have done a lot of research on the topic, and at that time, you need to be prepared for marvelous weather. The first week will be cool and variable with +5C mornings, and +15C afternoons. Just kidding, nobody knows what the weather will be!

Be prepared for rain. Walk with your rain gear, in the rain, and get used to it.

Be prepared for possibly walking in +5C temperatures. Layering is the key. I found that a wool short sleeve base layer, a polyester pullover, and a light fleece jacket worn together is good down to 0C. If its windy, I add the rain gear (jacket or poncho) to block the wind. As it warms up, off comes the fleece, and then the long sleeve pullover. Do not take anything cotton....its heavy and takes too long to dry. Stick with merino wool and polyester. Take at least three pairs of wool socks. Take a change of shoes (like sandals) for evening. Take a hat to keep both rain and sun off your face. I have a pair of shorts, and a pair of hiking pants that are very light.

Later in May, I expect some days at +25C, which is shorts 'n T-Shirts weather. Your pullover and your fleece should be very light. You're going to need them, but you're also going to carry them a lot, and weight is important.

You should also decide what you are taking, and walk with all of it both on your back and in your pack, to get used to your clothes before you go, and so you get used to the weight of the pack.

As for the albergues, I booked the first two days of the trip, and after that, its going to be come-by-chance. Maybe I will regret that decision, but the forum pros here think not. See you on the trail!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Welcome. When this question of what the weather will be like is raised, I am reminded of an old saying 'a traveler should pack for the climate and dress for the weather.'

Weather forecasts are pretty good for a couple of days or a week into the future, but I found the easiest thing was to check outside just before I started walking each day. When I walked it was always chilly enough to start the day in a fleece, but if it was raining or really cold I would add put on my rain jacket as well. Life really doesn't get that much more complicated on the Camino.

I started about 11 April last year and was on the Camino for 36 days, starting from SJPDP. Snow on the ground to Roncevalles. Next day was quite warm. My uniform for the Camino in the days following was long sleeve shirt with short sleeve shirt over the LS shirt. Wore bike gloves to keep my hands from getting sun burned.
Usually a little chilly in the morning, but later in the day I would often remove my SS shirt. Had rain two or three days. Trekking through the mud in Spain was miserable. On those days I was on that part of the CF where the government? or whoever had not compacted the soil. I carried about 5 lbs of mud on each foot.
Do not think you need to reserve space in the albergues, at least until you arrive in Sarria. Then the CF gets much more crowded. Full disclosure is that I mostly stayed in hotels. If the albergue in one village is full, take a cab to the next village for the night and then backtrack by cab the next morning and pick up where you left off. Cabs in Spain are not that expensive.
Buen Camino. Wish I were walking with you. It was a great experience. Be Safe.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, last year I started at the 18th of April in Sjpdp. There was still some snow up there but it where nice day's to walk the mountains. Those first day's crossing the Pyrenees where my favorite day's.
You can't predict the weather it is what it is.
Wish you all the best on your journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Welcome. When this question of what the weather will be like is raised, I am reminded of an old saying 'a traveler should pack for the climate and dress for the weather.'

Weather forecasts are pretty good for a couple of days or a week into the future, but I found the easiest thing was to check outside just before I started walking each day. When I walked it was always chilly enough to start the day in a fleece, but if it was raining or really cold I would add put on my rain jacket as well. Life really doesn't get that much more complicated on the Camino.

What type of fleece jacket are you bringing ? The one I have take up a lot of room in my 40 liter backpack.

Let me know, Thanks !

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked during April and May of 2015 and also experienced a mix of weather conditions. Overall, there was only one day with hard rain but many with drizzle and a few windy times. I'm from the Seattle area and it reminded me of home. I will again be walking this spring and intend to pack for chilly but not frigid but expecting rain and hoping for sun.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back