• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in September

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Take the river route into Burgos. There are a couple of threads on this forum that explain how to find the lovely path along the river. I had been worried that it would be a lonely walk, so I waited for some pilgrims to catch up to me and then we walked together. I shouldn't have worried as I walked on the first warm day in May, and the entire city took the day off to walk in the park. Have a great camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Out of Leon and through La Virgen del Camino (you can take a bus to La Virgen del Camino to miss city walking if you like), there's a good green alternative through Fresno and Oncina. It's pleasant (maybe a little isolated at some times of year) and there are several bell towers with stork's nests.

Take 2-3 days off from walking for a bus from Burgos to Santo Domingo de Silos to catch vespers as the monks practice their Gregorian Chants. One day there (One hour ride), quick check-in to hotel, dash to vespers.The cloisters are also open, but on my visit years ago the bus back to Burgos left too early for us to visit. It is a very impressive side trip and one only a few pilgrims do!! And the monks 1994 album 'Chant' is available everywhere if you want to check out the music. Buen camino.

Take the river route into Burgos. There are a couple of threads on this forum that explain how to find the lovely path along the river. I had been worried that it would be a lonely walk, so I waited for some pilgrims to catch up to me and then we walked together. I shouldn't have worried as I walked on the first warm day in May, and the entire city took the day off to walk in the park. Have a great camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for your suggestion - I have looked it up and I believe it starts in Castanares and you go through Parque Fluvial. It sounds like a great option as I don't really want to walk along the highways if I can help it.

Out of Leon and through La Virgen del Camino (you can take a bus to La Virgen del Camino to miss city walking if you like), there's a good green alternative through Fresno and Oncina. It's pleasant (maybe a little isolated at some times of year) and there are several bell towers with stork's nests.
Thank you so much for your suggestion - I look forward to spotting the stork's nests in the bell towers if they are still in residence!
Burn Camino for your Primitivo in June!

Take 2-3 days off from walking for a bus from Burgos to Santo Domingo de Silos to catch vespers as the monks practice their Gregorian Chants. One day there (One hour ride), quick check-in to hotel, dash to vespers.The cloisters are also open, but on my visit years ago the bus back to Burgos left too early for us to visit. It is a very impressive side trip and one only a few pilgrims do!! And the monks 1994 album 'Chant' is available everywhere if you want to check out the music. Buen camino.
Wow this sounds really interesting and I have allowed a couple of days so if these kinds of opportunities arise I can indulge myself! I will do some further research - thank you so much!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Here's the thread with the link to a PDF document with pictures illustrating the route: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/burgos-river-way-pdf.39726/

Yes, the river route into Burgos is the only way to go. It's lovely. I'm one of those silly pilgrims who did the Camino with no guide other than apps on my phone, and I missed a lot. Brierly tells you about all those little detours that are so worth your while and I caught some of them, but not all. I'm sure that other guides do the same. Do your research and take as many alternative routes as possible. My fondest memories are of the times that I did. Just think of the parallel paths that are so close but that see very few pilgrims. Imagine the welcome that you get on those routes and the tranquility of breaking away, if for just a brief time.

Yes, the river route into Burgos is the only way to go. It's lovely. I'm one of those silly pilgrims who did the Camino with no guide other than apps on my phone, and I missed a lot. Brierly tells you about all those little detours that are so worth your while and I caught some of them, but not all. I'm sure that other guides do the same. Do your research and take as many alternative routes as possible. My fondest memories are of the times that I did. Just think of the parallel paths that are so close but that see very few pilgrims. Imagine the welcome that you get on those routes and the tranquility of breaking away, if for just a brief time.
I also walked without a guidebook, but don't feel like I missed anything. In fact one of the reasons that I didn't want to read too much about the Camino ahead of time was because I was worried that I would be disappointed if I wasn't able to see some of the things I read about.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here's the thread with the link to a PDF document with pictures illustrating the route: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/burgos-river-way-pdf.39726/
Thank you
Thank you so much! Excellent pictorial directions - not sure if I would have figured out all those turns! A good download to my phone!

I also walked without a guidebook, but don't feel like I missed anything. In fact one of the reasons that I didn't want to read too much about the Camino ahead of time was because I was worried that I would be disappointed if I wasn't able to see some of the things I read about.
I am torn about reading up on everything! On the one hand I have this need to know and be prepared and what to expect - I guess it gives me the confidence to do this on my own. On the other hand I want to experience just making spur of the moment decisions and the adventure that brings. I have backpacked many times in the backcountry and so I have no problems with what gear I should take and I am keeping my pack at 15lbs or under including water and snacks/lunch. Some days I say "enough" and stop reading and researching for a week but then while on my practice walks I think about the trip and get back into the researching. I have FOMO - fear of missing out!! Either way I look at it - planning to some degree is all part of the adventure and better than no planning or researching at all.

Peg and I took the regular route TOWARDS Burgos but stopped at Hostel Buenos Aires in Villafria to stay two nights. This was right after passing the airport. We took the street bus that stopped right at the hotel to get into the city and back. We were awfully glad not to have walked the industrial stretch into the city. Then when we were ready to continue with the camino we backtracked past the airport and took the river route.

@minaleigh produced the 15 mb file showing the way. That can be downloaded directly from https://www.docdroid.net/file/download/h1osXOV/burgosriverway.pdf

@NualaOC edited that file down to 1.5 mb but the pictures are not as clear. That version can be downloaded from the forum site via https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/attachments/burgosriverway-pdf.25247/

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back