• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting my Camino from SJPDP on 3 Sep

jimsantiago

I wan to thank all of you for the discussions and great info on this forum, which have been very helpful during my Camino prep. I'm flying into Madrid on 1 Sep, RENFE to Pamplona same day, then ALSA bus to SJPDP on 2 Sep. As I want to start off slowly, I will be breaking up the walk to Roncesvalles, staying at gite Kayola near Orisson on the first day.

My pack is down to just under 20lbs without water. I've spent the last month or so trying out various sock arrangements and breaking in my boots. I have not done 24km back to back in my training walks, but I seem to be able to do 7 miles with no difficulty whatsoever on contiguous days. I'm planning to start off slowly, leave early in the morning and walk at a relaxed pace.

My take on some of the recurring discussions on this forum

Sleeping bag:
I decided to take a lightweight (~550g) down sleeping bag as well as a silk liner. That combination seems to offer a great deal of flexibility. You can use just the silk liner on warm nights, the liner with the down bag unzipped as a duvet, or the liner inside the bag for cold environments.

Boots/socks:
As I have wide feet, I chose Keen Gypsums 1/2 size larger than usual with Smartwool toe sock liners and Smartwool medium weight hiking socks. So far, not even a hint of a blister, but we'll see on the Camino. The Gold Bond foot powder (blue bottle) also seems to be a big help.

Poncho vs shell/rain cover:
I figured that I'd need some sort of jacket when not on the trail for both warmth and protection from rain and wind, even when not carrying my pack. So, I went with one of the lightweight Arcteryx shells and a waterproof pack cover rather than a poncho.

Hope to see some of you on the Way.

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was worried about the long first stage and realized that I was probably too late to reserve Orisson. But then I got an email from them saying that, although Orisson is full, Kayola is available. It seems the Camino has already begun to provide.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was worried about the long first stage and realized that I was probably too late to reserve Orisson. But then I got an email from them saying that, although Orisson is full, Kayola is available. It seems the Camino has already begun to provide.
Check with Orisson the day before and the day you get there if there are any cancelations, some get there early and decide to walk ahead to Roncesvalles.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Jim leaving for Cape Town Int airport now.Flying to Barcelona to visit family.Will be starting my Camino on the 4 Sept.Sure we will meet along the way.Cant wait to start walking.

Thanks for the nice wishes, everyone. fynbos: I'm breaking up the first stage into two days, so will be staying at gite Kayola on the 3rd. If you go all the way to Roncesvalles, we may meet up. I can't wait to get walking either. To be honest, despite the training I've done here at home the last few months, I'm a but apprehensive about 15mi/day for 5 weeks!

Buen Camino friends.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
To be honest, despite the training I've done here at home the last few months, I'm a but apprehensive about 15mi/day for 5 weeks!
Buen Camino friends.
We all were Jim, but after the first few days it becomes the norm so you don't even think about it. You can also do some shorter days and the odd longer one.
Have a great camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi jim n pamplona now and I can say tbe first two days are tough for everybody. For me it was the down portions. That hammered my toes and knees. Knees have recovered today but goi g to take a rest day here. My pack was 19 lbs. I thought that was ok but I plan on dropping a few lbs. Somehow. Not old at all but was a little chilly the first 2 days. After many worried days I bought a throw away fleese type liner from walmart. Crazy I know but it weights nothing

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Well friends, some bad news. My flight leaves at 9:30am and I awoke at 3:30am to terrible pain in an old crown. It goes away completely when I sit up, but returns when I lie down. I just called the airline to postpone. The online dental sites say it needs to be treated urgently. When this kind of thing happens, I believe someone's looking out for me as I'm not meant to leave today.

Ok, I have clearance from the doc and have rescheduled my flight for 7 Sep. That's a 1 week delay, but on the positive side, it gives me a little extra time to get things done before leaving home. Delta Airlines were really helpful. Highly recommended.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
good luck with your walk - we may meet on the waY !! im starting on the 5thsept from st jean
beun camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Nice recovery from the unexpected delay, Jim. Keep rolling with the punches (changes) and you'll have a great trip with memories for life.

Start by losing 5 lbs. in that pack! I'm at 14 1/2 with water and still trying to chuck!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
After a week delay, I'm finally on the plane to Madrid. SJPDP on the 9th and Pamplona by the 12th or 13th, depending in whether I stop for a break at Orisson.

Buen Camino, friends!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back