• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting my walk 27 April 2008

clare england

hi I'm Clare from England and planning to start walking from Roncesvalles on 27 April 2008. Good to hear from anyone else leaving around then.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Clare...and Welcome to the Class of 2008!

There is a significant number of fellow pilgrims beginning the Camino in April and early May. May I suggest you scan thru the Class of 2008 thread and see who you'll be walking with. Also, check some of the MISC threads that cover a wide variety of interesting people, places and things you'll come across as you make you Way!

Hope to see you on the Milky Way!

Buen Camino!
Arn

Hello Clare,

What part of England are you from...I've spent some time hiking in the Lake District...very nice if a little wet of course...

I leave Nova Scotia on April 26th and will be arriving in Roncesvalles on April 28th to begin my Camino. My plans are to walk short distances the first few days to help get over any jet-lag. It looks like I may be a few paces behind you....

Would love to stay in touch....as I'm sure we will overlap at some point...are you planning to make it all the way to Santiago?

Buen camino,
Marilyn

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Clare

I kick off from St Jean on 25 April (leave Sydney on 20th and get over jet lag, get to start of walk etc). I'll be staying in Orrision that night then probably Roncesvalles on 26th (though may push on a little further if I'm up to it). No doubt will see you at some point. Look out for me - very short dark hair, glasses, bright green backpack with an Australian/NZ pin on it and a Santiago today forum button most likely.

buen camino
Megan

Hi Megan,

I will be departing SJPDP on about the 19th of April...unless I get caught up in a bodega, I will be a few days ahead. If you do happen to see me...give me a shove along!

Buen Camino,

Arn

Arn said:
I will be departing SJPDP on about the 19th of April...unless I get caught up in a bodega, I will be a few days ahead. If you do happen to see me...give me a shove along!

happily Arn - will I recognise you from the cassock you are pictured in here?

hopefully we'll bump into each other in Santiago

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Cyd wrote: Arn - will I recognise you from the cassock you are pictured in here?

Sadly, the cassock is Templar and the Catholic Church still hasn't rescinded the Papal Bull denouncing the Order. I suspect I'd have a problem explaining it. Though I do have a cassock, but it weighs to much to bring along.

Look instead for a very happy fellow, most likely in black and grey...with a military three-day pack and...yes Vinotinto a bright international orange chair.

Buen Lenten Camino,

Arn

Arn said:
yes Vinotinto a bright international orange chair.

Well, I suppose if nothing else you can wave it around for a distress signal...especially if you light it on fire first... :wink: :mrgreen:

You can wear your robe with pride Arn.
In October last year, a Vatican archivists announced the discovery of a document called the "Parchment of Chinon", misfiled in the secret archives in the 17th century, that show that Pope Clement V exonerated the Templars of heresy (but found them guilty of other lesser infractions of Church law) in 1308. The document contains the absolution Pope Clement V gave to the Grand Master of the Temple and other heads of the Order. As we all know, King Philip later pressured the Pontiff to reverse the decision, the order was suppressed and members slaughtered in 1312 - on Friday 13th.
Don't forget to attend the Templarios ceremony at Manjarin with Tomas the Templar.
(PS: They are a bit short of chairs so your's will be most useful!)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sil wrote:Don't forget to attend the Templarios ceremony at Manjarin with Tomas the Templar.

Meeting Knight Tomas is very High on my list of 2 do's.

I especially appreciate you info on the Papal Bull. I need to research it a bit more. I know that Chev. Jerry of the SMOTJ works closely with his local Diocese. So more to come.

Gracias,

Arn

Hi Megan and Marilyn, at least I know there'll be some other english speakers around! Have just picked up 'basic Spanish for beginners' but who knows whether I'll get around to starting it!

I live in Canterbury and plan to leave here as soon after the 25th. as i can. Have thought about walking the camino for a long time, but this is the first opportunity I've had to take that amount of time off. I'm slightly restricted as I have to be back for a work commitment on June 4th. but hope i'll be able to do it. that's why I decided to start in Spain. Am trying out the new 1000 mile socks which are gauranteed to prevent blisters. We'll see. Hope to meet you along the way. Clare.

Clare

Had you thought about getting a Pilgrim Blessing at the Cathedral in Canterbury before you leave. If you contact the visitors office there and ask for Canon Clare I think (it's not you is it?) they can help.

Buen Camino
William

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Clare

You probably do not remember blessing me before I started on my way to Rome on the Via Francigena in 2005. I made it to Rome last summer.

I was in Canterbury with the RAI walkers last year.

The best bit of advice anyone gave me is not to start too fast. It is easy to get carried away the first few days and give yourself an injury. If you start slowly and build up to longer distances as you go you will probably get the in much the same time with less chance of any problems.

Buen Camino.
William

Hola Clare,

I shall be a few days behind you, Megan and Marilyn. I'm planning to leave Roncesvalles on 2 May after a trip from Sydney. Perhaps we shall meet although I suspect that at my likely rate of progress it may be in Santiago!

You write:

clare england said:
Am trying out the new 1000 mile socks which are gauranteed to prevent blisters. We'll see. Hope to meet you along the way.

Would it be an imposition to ask for further and better particulars of these magic socks? Thanks in anticipation.

Buon camino.

Paul

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Gabriel said:
I suspect that at my likely rate of progress it may be in Santiago!
clare england said:
Am trying out the new 1000 mile socks which are gauranteed to prevent blisters. We'll see. Hope to meet you along the way.
Would it be an imposition to ask for further and better particulars of these magic socks? Thanks in anticipation.

Hi Paul

I'm hanging around Santiago when I finish, perhaps a side trip here or there but am flying out of Santiago on 2 June then from London to Sydney on 4 June.

Hopefully we'll get to share a beer and Camino tales while watching other pilgrims limp into town
:D

I think the socks referred to might be Wigwam Gobi Liner socks - the pack says "blister free feet". I've just bought myself a pair today to try. I already have some Bridgedale liner socks which are meant to wick moister away - pretty good at it. The idea is to wear liner socks with another pair of socks over the top. My regime is liners + a pair of thin wool (bought from Target) - so far so good, but I have just bought a new pair of mid-cut boots (Keen Targhee ll) as my Aku Ultralite gortex were just too over the top for the Camino, so will have to see if the sock regime still works.

cheers
Megan

Hi Clare,
Welcome to the Forum :) . I live in the north of uk and having some experience of the pilgrimage will be happy to help any way I can.
Re the 1000 mile socks - I used them in 2005 but for me they didn't last a 1000 miles. They did prevent blisters, even with new boots in France, but the outer woollen layer (at the toe, poss due to the way I walked) began to wear out after approx 300 miles - but the inner cotton layer lasted from Amsterdam to St. Jean PdeP.
Buen Camino,
Brendan

Megan wrote:a pair of thin wool (bought from Target)

Megan, IMHO, does it make any sense to buy great boots and then treat your feet to Target socks?

Give another look at the Bridgedale, or better yet the Smartwool. They will last longer and provide great cushion especially when worn with a good liner.

For what it's worth.

Buen non blister Camino,

Arn

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Arn said:
Megan wrote:a pair of thin wool (bought from Target)

Megan, IMHO, does it make any sense to buy great boots and then treat your feet to Target socks?

Give another look at the Bridgedale, or better yet the Smartwool. They will last longer and provide great cushion especially when worn with a good liner.

I hear you Arn - but the Target wool socks are actually very good quality and quite well cushioned. I've got a couple of pairs of Smartwool (or similar) socks too, will be rotating and testing best combos

Socks are one thing I am not going to ration or skimp on.

thanks for the advice
M

Didn't mean to preach...just an old dog that's stuck in a world that sez it just doesn't seem right to buy quality lamb at Walmart and top of the line socks at Target.

I will go into target and have a look though, but I draw the line at purchasing lamb.

Buen non blisters Camino,
Arn

I am planning to be at Roncesvalles or Pamplona on April 23, latest 24. Probably start the walk after 1 day of familiarization, if possible, as I do not speak Spanish. How many kilometres are you targetting per day?

Maria

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
clare england said:
Yes William, it's me!! I thought after several years of blessing people on their way, I must certainly get underway myself! Clare.

Hi Clare,

I'm also from Canterbury and in fact used to teach at the Archbishop's School, so I remember the dedication service for our school that you took one year in the cathedral. I mentioned your trip just now to Jenny H. (reader) who you must know (Head of RE at the school) and she says I should meet up with you and help you with your planning if you'd like that? Let me know.

I'm now in the selection process for ministry with the other lot (Southwark Archdiocese) and while I'm waiting for that, I'm hoping to walk from Canterbury in May through to July all the way to Santiago. You won't be able to give me a pilgrim blessing in Canterbury in May because you'll still be on the Camino I suppose. Look forward to hearing from you.

Gareth

sillydoll said:
Pope Clement V exonerated the Templars of heresy (but found them guilty of other lesser infractions of Church law

Interesting. Were they buying their lamb in Walmart? :D

Hi Clare

My name is Tony and I live in Lancashire, I will be starting my walk on the 30 April from SJPDP my target is 25 klw per day with a few rest days. I am flying back to liverpool on the 5 June and I hope to meet you some time during our camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Tony, In fact have changed my plans as i couldn't be so close to, but not walk over the Pyrenees. so leaving SJPDP on 27th. and have booked my flight from Santiago for 4 June, so we could well meet somewhere. I plan to take a rest day every 6 or so, or perhaps 5 whole days and then 2 half days, depending on how I go. The date is getting close and I've just not had time for practisewalking, so I shall follow the advice of those who say don't go too fast too soon. Buen Camino. Clare.

Hello Tony, Gabriel, Meagan and Clare,

I will be arriving in Roncesvalles on April 28th and if the weather is ok I will make my way to SJPP and start from there...if the weather is not so good I will start walking from Roncesvalles on the 29th April.

It looks like we will be very close on our days....my plan is to walk short daily distances at the start...likely 10 to 15 klms the first three or four days ...this will help me to get over the jet lag...and also will break-in my body slowly...I also will take a few rest days along the way!

My "plan" is to arrive in Santiago on Friday June 6th ...spend the weekend there....I would like to take the bus out to Finisterre ....my flight is booked to fly out on Monday June 9th.

Hope to see you along the Way,
Beun Camino,
Marilyn

Hi Tony, and Clare, I'm from Cheshire (next to Lancashire) and start from SJPP on 29th. I have a flight booked for 29th May so may not have a full days rest. Like everyone else, the nerves are setting in. Looking forward to meeting you both as well as lots of others. Can't wait.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just wondering whether any of you have already booked your accomodation for SJPDP. I haven't and was assuming I just found somewhere on arrival. Then I read someone else's entry which implied you should book first. Do we need to? Clare.

socks
just back from 550km on camino.i wore bridgedale women's liner socks only,and got no blisters.i'm very fair skinned,and my feet just get too hot walking for long periods in anything heavier.
i would say,listen to all the advice,then listen to your feet,and you'll find what works for you.my boots were 12 years old meindls.
its like life,there is no ideal solution,my boots were gortex lined,which gave me a heat rash in Leon,but were toasty,warm and dry in the snow over easter up at 1300m,and the endless rain in Galacia,
buen camino,
liz

clare england said:
Just wondering whether any of you have already booked your accomodation for SJPDP. I haven't and was assuming I just found somewhere on arrival. Then I read someone else's entry which implied you should book first. Do we need to? Clare.

Hi Clare,

I've reserved a spot for April 26/28th (I'm flying for the Canadian prairies and wanted an extra day to reset the my body's clock) and at the L'Esprit du Chemin. The cost is very reasonable and for a small charge even pack you a lunch for your first day. It looks very nice. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, all,
I can confirm that the Esprit du chemin is a fantastic albergue. Run by a Dutch couple that walked the Camino Frances. I walked with my Dutch friends, and we had a room with three beds. I think the biggest room has 6 beds, and the total number is around 16 I think. Great bathroom facilities. Everything is spotlessly clean. We ate our evening meal there, as did nearly everyone staying there and it was very nice. We had breakfast there as well. I can+t say enough good things about it. And the location is superb -- it´s right across the street from the pilgrims´office. You will all love it, I'm sure. Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Apparently SJPDP is really busy on the night of 26th. April. When I tried to book at Esprit du chemin on 8th. April they said they had already said no to another 30 people. They thought everyhwere else would be full too and suggested I changed my dates, but I've already booked my flight. So if you've got a place enjoy, it looks and sounds really good. I guess I won't be the only person still looking so will hopefully find space somewhere. Clare.

Fridays and Saturdays are very busy in traditional starting points. I started on a Sunday from SJPP and space was available with no problems. I was told that 2 nights earlier, Friday, people were sleeping on the ground outdoors. Also these crowds travel in crowds. 2 to 4 days behind (or ahead) keeps you away from the them.
Lillian

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back