• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting on July 15 2020 CF or CN

Lirsy

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo, Norte, Francés, Volunteer Hospitalero.
I am planning to start the Camino on July 15. What I'm not sure is whether to start in SJPdP (Camino Frances) or to start in Irún (Camino del Norte). Considering the weather, the logical option would be to start in Irún, but on the other hand, the opportunity to walk the CF during the summer and without it being crowded is quite attractive.

Also, I'm not sure if there would be enough pilgrims in the CN (by enough I mean a minimum of 10-15 per day). I don't like the Camino being too crowded, but I also don't want it to be too lonely.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Lirsy, one thing than might determine this for you is looking at what accommodation will be open and available within a reasonable walking distance each day. July 15th is very early, given that Spain is only opening up to foreign travellers on July 1st. Many places of accommodation might not be open to Pilgrims at that point.

There is a daily update from a guy called Stewart on you tube. This morning, I listened to Day 92 (Spain crisis update day 92). It is about 10 minutes long, certainly very informative if you are planning on going to Spain soon. Link below. He updates every day or every second day, so check out future posts also.

Buen Camino
Dave

Lirsy, one thing than might determine this for you is looking at what accommodation will be open and available within a reasonable walking distance each day

Murray, thanks so much for the link, I didn´t know about it.

The opening of the albergues is, of course, a key issue.

I am very confident in the Camino Frances. The fact that the Roncesvalles albergue will open on July 1 is great news. Anyhow, Iwill check, at least for the first stages, which albergues are open.

I'm not so sure, still optimistic but not sure, about the Camino del Norte. The lack of pilgrims may force many albergues to remain closed.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you very much @Ianinam !!

That is exactly what I was looking for!!

From what I can see, it seems like no problem! 😁 😁 😁

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you walk the way do keep a running account of your steps here in forum.

Je je ... I will!!

Following the information in the link posted by @Ianinam, it seems that most albergues are open or will open in July ... I guess I will not find any problem ... and I will have the opportunity to enjoy the CF in July without having to wake up 4 AM and run to the next albergue! 🤣

If the USA will let me out and both France and Spain will let me in, I too will begin walking the Camino Frances on July 15 from Saint Jean Pied de Port. Still seems like such a long shot, but my flight has not been canceled yet, and there is still almost a month for my dream to still be realized!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Je je ... I will!!

Following the information in the link posted by @Ianinam, it seems that most albergues are open or will open in July ... I guess I will not find any problem ... and I will have the opportunity to enjoy the CF in July without having to wake up 4 AM and run to the next albergue! 🤣
I wish you all the best, but it is really doubtful that most of the albergues will be open, but do keep us all posted.

There will be enough, I expect. Might need to use hotels sometimes.

Due to some official documents that I am trying to obtain, not anything related to covid or the trip, I have to postpone the start of the Camino a bit. Hopefully the delay will not last more than a week. I will start the Camino two days after I can get the documents. For now, I have set a tentative start date of July 22. I am not yet decided if I will start the Camino del Norte or the Camino Frances.

On the positive side, all the information I have shows that the number of pilgrims is more than enough, especially on the Camino Frances, and there seems to be no problem at all finding albergues.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
i’m starting on the 21st and have wanted to walk the CN but seeing all these answers it seems the CF makes more sense. maybe i’ll see you around!

I hope so!!;)

I wrote 21st ustas a tentative date ... it depends on when I am able to obtain the documents, I hope it is a little sooner!! ... We will see ...

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.