• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting soon

fiona

My name is Fiona. I am from London UK and am hoping to set off soon. My plan is to arrive in Pamplona at the end of February and depending on the weather and the date I have to be back in the Uk either set off towards Santiago, or take the bus to Roncesvalles to start there.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Fiona,
You must be so excited as the end of February is getting closer and closer. Best wishes to you for a wonderful journey.
Arlene

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
starting a little later

Well too much stuff got in the way of a Feb departure but my tickets are now booked, and I leave on Friday 14th March for Roncesvalles via Pamplona. I am very excited

Re: starting a little later

fiona said:
Well too much stuff got in the way of a Feb departure but my tickets are now booked, and I leave on Friday 14th March for Roncesvalles via Pamplona. I am very excited

Dear Fiona,

buen camino!

do be aware, though, that it might be quite busy during Easter, when many Spaniards do the piligrimage too.

Otherwise, enjoy Spain, it is an amazing experience and a gorgeous country.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Fiona,
Best wishes to you as you begin your journey. I'm also starting this month, but a few weeks after you. Hopefully mother nature will be kind to the early spring walkers.
Arlene

Fiona...welcome to the Class of 2008!

Yes the excitement is building as the Class closes in on their Camino. Take a look at the Class of 2008 thread and the Calendar at the bottom of the page to see whom may be starting on or about your kick off.

Buen Camino

Arn

Nobody said it was easy.....

An unexpected update from the road ( or more precisely back in the UK) My passport and bank cards "disappeared" from my bag the day after Burgos. NEVER turn your back on the important bags for a second. My phone case, though not my phone, was also taken. Luckily I keep my cash separately from my cards, so with about 100 euros to see me through and with the help of my partner in the UK I made my way to Bilbao, got an emergency passport from the British Consulate, returned to the UK to get a replacement passport and replacement cards. I am returning to the road as soon as my documentation is in order.

Lessons learned -
1. keep your cash and cards in separate wallets
2. keep an emergency card if you have one, separate from those
3. always have enough cash on you to get you through an emergency
3. know your passport number
4. know your credit card phone numbers and the procedure for reporting lost/stolen
5. password protect your phone so it can't be used if taken
6. be open to ALL the possibilities of human interaction on the camino, most people are wonderful - stay open to that - but remember that some may not be.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
how horrible for you :( I'm glad that you found the support to get home and that you feel you want to return and continue the journey. Good luck with the next stage

Such bad luck!
It is a good idea to scan all your cards, passport, etc and email them to yourself so that you can access them in times of need. We even suggest that you mail your digital camera instructions to yourself - it is so easy to forget how to set it up for group photos or how to take a short video.
I hope you get back walking soon Fiona.
Hugs,

Sorry to hear of your problem Fiona. I had a similar experience last year and was left with only 18 euros and no cards, passport, phone etc! I went to Madrid and applied for a new passport and had cash sent by Western Union. I returned to the camino and finished my walk and only then returned to Madrid to collect my new passport. I made a conscious decision not to dwell on it or discuss it on the camino as I didn't want to think negative thoughts or sound complaining.
Your advice is very sound. Knowing your passport number for example makes applying for a new one SO much easier. (Fortunately I had mine written in my credential - but that was luck rather than foresight)
It is also a good idea to leave credit card details etc with someone at home who can cancel them on your behalf if necessary.
I am so glad you are planning to head back and the experience hasn't spoiled the camino for you.
As they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!
Regards,
Laura

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
fiona: such bad news. The experience of each pilgrim is so different. In 2001 I left my backpack on a refugio bed in a major city and could not get into the refugio later that night, it was locked and no one would come to the door! I got a room in a hotel for the night and went back early in the morning to find that my pack had not been touched. thanks to everyone for the reminders about having your information available in several ways.

Fiona,

Except for the one major hiccup...you appear a strong willed and together person with a eye toward not allowing this set back mar your overall experience.

To ALL...the info on the thread is most useful and can help reduce the negative impact of your Camino.

To the thief that sought to get away
With some stuff I can replace
Just know that God is watching you
And reserved for you a place

For the Euros and the passport
Will buy things that others sell
While your crime against a pilgrim
Buys a lifetime down in Hell

Buen "hot times" Camino

Arn

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.