• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting the Via de la Plata April 23rd

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'll be on the French way in May/July and am going to do the Via de la Plata starting in September.

Buen Camino Lynne!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On the way into Merida, you will find the biggest Roman bridge outside Italy ever built, some 2.000 years ago. The city was a pension site for retired Roman legion soldiers, with a theatre (still standing) etc. Impressive place. Reflections, my friend: Reflections.

puente_romano_merida_t0600247.jpg_1306973099.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi. We are from Vancouver, Canada. We plan to leave Seville on the 23rd.
You w
Hi. We are from Vancouver, Canada. We plan to leave Seville on the 23rd.
You will love the VDLP I did it two years ago in August, was hot so very few other pilgrims, however I enjoyed the solitude and empty albergues!!!
I leave Sevilla on the 18th so will be ahead of you, please enjoy Buen Camino :) Colin Scotland

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You w

You will love the VDLP I did it two years ago in August, was hot so very few other pilgrims, however I enjoyed the solitude and empty albergues!!!
I leave Sevilla on the 18th so will be ahead of you, please enjoy Buen Camino :) Colin Scotland
Thank you. Do you have any advice for newcomers?

Hi Lynn
I'm arriving in Sevilla om 19 april 2015 and will start 21-22th of april . Have a good trip and when I'm very tired or enjoying a village... I will see you on the way :))

Karola ( the Netherlands)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Lynn:
I'm also from the Vancouver area (Burnaby) and will be walking from Cadiz starting about April 10th or 11th. Should be a few days ahead of you going through Sevilla on the 17th or 18th. Perhaps we will cross paths somewhere. If not, I wish you a great adventure and a ¡Buen Camino!
As an aside you might be interested in the Victoria Chapter of the Canadian Company of Pilgrims upcoming seminar on the camino. It will be on March 28th and lasts all day. Here are the particulars: http://victoriacamino.ca/spring-gathering-2015/ . If I can be of any help please let me know. Cheers, John

Hi Lynn:
I'm also from the Vancouver area (Burnaby) and will be walking from Cadiz starting about April 10th or 11th. Should be a few days ahead of you going through Sevilla on the 17th or 18th. Perhaps we will cross paths somewhere. If not, I wish you a great adventure and a ¡Buen Camino!
As an aside you might be interested in the Victoria Chapter of the Canadian Company of Pilgrims upcoming seminar on the camino. It will be on March 28th and lasts all day. Here are the particulars: http://victoriacamino.ca/spring-gathering-2015/ . If I can be of any help please let me know. Cheers, John
Thank you. I am a retired Burnaby teacher. We are both very excited about our first Camino. Any last minute advice from a veteran?

Thank you. I am a retired Burnaby teacher. We are both very excited about our first Camino. Any last minute advice from a veteran?

I know quite a bit about the Camino Frances but this will be my first time on the Via de la Plata. If you are in the Vancouver area at the moment I would be happy to meet you somewhere for coffee and have a bit of a chat. If you can get to Victoria the pilgrim gathering is quite an event with lots and lots of pilgrims. Here are a couple of things I would suggest - they are all pretty standard though so sorry if they are too basic:

1. Do what you can to get your feet conditioned before you leave. Good footwear system and well broken in. It will really improve the quality of your experience. There is no one "right" system. Many different things can work. You still have time if you haven't started already. Ideally you should be able to walk 20+km for two days back to back with your full pack weight and no problems before you go. Start your training slowly. Injuries on the Camino Frances seem to follow the pattern of blisters for the first week or so then more serious "overuse" injuries including joint, ligament, tendon problems after 2 - 3 weeks of pounding. Best way to avoid this is to strengthen the body before you go or to start out easily and gradually (as best you can) when you do get to Spain. As far as blister prevention goes I have had good luck with a product called "Glide" which is sold in running stores and comes in what looks like a deodorant stick. You apply it to your bare feet and it provides a layer of lubrication which helps dramatically with friction hot spots. I am also a big advocate of taking boots and socks off at almost every break and allowing feet, boots and socks to dry a bit while you are resting.

2. Be careful about having too ambitious a schedule. Many people have a fairly rigid timeline and that can lead to problems that are often solved by taking a bus 50 to 100 km ahead.

3. Keep the pack weight down.

4. How's your Spanish? A little knowledge will certainly help and I understand it is almost essential on the VdlP.

5. Hiking with a partner is a bit challenging. I hiked with a friend on my 2nd Camino and it worked out quite well for us but I have seen problems with others. I suppose it's all about reasonable accommodation for each other. You don't have to walk together all the time. You can decide to walk independently for a bit and meet up later in the day for lunch or a particular scenic event.

6. Some references:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1484079841/?tag=casaivar02-20 (Daphne is from BC);
there is an iPhone app called Via de la Plata which was done by Melanie and is available from the iTunes store - supposed to be pretty good but I haven't had a look at it yet;
I enjoyed this book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QPHPSRW/?tag=casaivar02-20

7. If you are like many thousands before you your greatest experience will be the people you meet.

8. You may come home with a bit of a "vino tinto" problem :)

9. Don't forget to prep your feet. You can show up in Sevilla with nothing, buy what you need there and be good to go if your feet are good.

¡Buen camino!
John

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you John, for all the great advice. The "vino tinto" will be a welcome relief for sure at the end of the day. Jean-Luc and I would love to meet with you and chat over coffee. We live downtown. Let us know a time and place.

Thank you John, for all the great advice. The "vino tinto" will be a welcome relief for sure at the end of the day. Jean-Luc and I would love to meet with you and chat over coffee. We live downtown. Let us know a time and place.

Sorry for the long delay in replying. Would next week sometime work for you? I am having coffee with some friends at the Starbucks in City Square across Cambie from City Hall on Monday at about 1000. If you would like to meet there at about 1100 that would work for me. If another time/place would work better please let me know. John

Hi John. Unfortunately I have an appointment tomorrow at that time. Tuesday is not a good day either. Wednesday? Thursday? We could meet in Burnaby or Vancouver.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi John. Unfortunately I have an appointment tomorrow at that time. Tuesday is not a good day either. Wednesday? Thursday? We could meet in Burnaby or Vancouver.
Lynne: I have "started a conversation" with you. So there should be some sort of alert or message for you.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.