• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting your Camino Ingles in England

NualaOC

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
A few and hopefully lots more.
I noticed an interesting point in the current CSJ e-newsletter: Pilgrims following the Camino Inglés have a problem. If you start at the most historic and best attested starting point pretty well of the whole camino, in the city of La Coruña, there are not enough kilometres to qualify for a Compostela. Pilgrims therefore are encouraged to start at Ferrol and thus walk just over 100km. The Pilgrim Office at Santiago however, has agreed that pilgrims who walk in England as part of their Camino, may count the kilometres towards their 100km. This may be in Cornwall on the St Michael’s Way or Saints’ Way, through southern England on the Pilgrims Way to Canterbury, on the St James Way from Reading to Southampton or Portsmouth. You would need to obtain a stamp or equivalent at your starting point and it would be good to have a stamp at either end of your journey onwards to Spain. If stamps are not available, one suggestion is to cut a logo from a church or council document and stick it on to the Pilgrim Credencial or passport, date it and ask someone to sign it!

Maybe most English pilgrim know this already - but I thought it was worth sharing.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I did it from Ferrol and it was quite a nice quiet walk. Never saw more than 2 other pilgrims in Albergues and only saw about 10 others total over the 4 days.

Starting my walk from Ferrol next week. Hadn't thought about getting a stamp here. I wonder if the shrine at Walsingham would have one?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Starting my walk from Ferrol next week. Hadn't thought about getting a stamp here. I wonder if the shrine at Walsingham would have one?

Walsingham to Santiago via Ferrol. That sounds like an interesting idea. Must put that one on the to-do list :)

Enjoy your camino! I walked the Ingles last year and loved it.

PS: Last time I was in Walsingham it had the Anglican shrine, the RC shrine, the parish church, the RC church, the Methodist church and at least one Orthodox church. You could probably fill half your credencial before you leave Norfolk :)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm really nervous as I've never done anything like this.

The Ingles should be a great introduction. Short enough to have the destination not too far ahead in the mind. The route is well marked. The countryside is beautiful and varied - seashore, forest, hills and farmland. It is not nearly as busy as the Frances but there will be others walking along the way. Local people are used to pilgrims and generally very friendly and helpful. Feeling a little anxious before doing something like this is normal. If you have any specific worries or questions someone on here will probably be able to help. I'm sure that you will find it a great experience. Then probably want to come back for more.

I hope that you have a great experience and a few rain-free days!

A good point there. Unless we have been to the north and west coasts we Brits tend to think of Spain as being a hot and dry country. Don't believe the song from "My Fair Lady". Rex Harrison was a liar: the rain in Spain falls mainly in the top-left corner. Lots of it! Do pack your wet weather gear.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I noticed an interesting point in the current CSJ e-newsletter: Pilgrims following the Camino Inglés have a problem. If you start at the most historic and best attested starting point pretty well of the whole camino, in the city of La Coruña, there are not enough kilometres to qualify for a Compostela. Pilgrims therefore are encouraged to start at Ferrol and thus walk just over 100km. The Pilgrim Office at Santiago however, has agreed that pilgrims who walk in England as part of their Camino, may count the kilometres towards their 100km. This may be in Cornwall on the St Michael’s Way or Saints’ Way, through southern England on the Pilgrims Way to Canterbury, on the St James Way from Reading to Southampton or Portsmouth. You would need to obtain a stamp or equivalent at your starting point and it would be good to have a stamp at either end of your journey onwards to Spain. If stamps are not available, one suggestion is to cut a logo from a church or council document and stick it on to the Pilgrim Credencial or passport, date it and ask someone to sign it!

Maybe most English pilgrim know this already - but I thought it was worth sharing.

If you do need a stamp (sello) in the U.K. I have found that the local Post Office is helpful, if you explain what you need and why. Most U.K. pubs have some sort of a stamp, as do gift shops and "historic monuments" (National Trust and English Heritage). One of my prized ones is that of the Abbot of Buckfast where I stayed on my way from Exeter to take ship in Plymouth! A little bit of imagination can usually find the necessary. :)

Blessings
Tio Tel

credential 2009.JPG

A good point there. Unless we have been to the north and west coasts we Brits tend to think of Spain as being a hot and dry country. Don't believe the song from "My Fair Lady". Rex Harrison was a liar: the rain in Spain falls mainly in the top-left corner. Lots of it! Do pack your wet weather gear.

I had one day of incessant rain on the Ingles, but it didn't dampen my enthusiasm for this route. When I commented on the rain in a text message to my sons, they took great pleasure in reminding me what I used to tell them when they were kids: 'you're not made of sugar, you won't melt' :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back