Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Staying in lower priced Hotels

rudyfiebiger

I am starting my walk from Pamplona. Since I have a C-PAP with me (keeps my sleep apnea and snoring in check) and therefore require easy access to an electrical outlet, the hostels along the way are probably not suitable for me. I will have to seek out inexpensive places e.g. B&B's, cheap hotels etc. What kind of experiences do you travelers have had with such accommodation and how much will I have to pay? I can't afford to stay in 'regular' hotels as they all charge around E60 and up.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Rudy

I've had good experiences, sticking with the recommendations in the CSJ guide & Brierley. In Pamplona, btw, you can stay at the Hotel Eslava for about 35 Euro. I'm sure there are others that are less costly, but I've actually stayed there & can recommend it. :) Most of the towns have pensiones & albergues, but some do not. Always ask at the albergue in the major cities if they can accomodate you; perhaps they'll let you sleep in the "clinic" if they have one. Some have small private rooms as well. Always ask; the worst they can tell you is "No." :)

The private albergue in Atapuerca has electrical outlets by each bed; most albergues have outlets in the rooms, but not so many. As I said, let the hospitalero/a know what you need & if they can accomodate you, they will. :)

Kelly

rudyfiebiger

WolverineDG said:
I've had good experiences, sticking with the recommendations in the CSJ guide & Brierley. In Pamplona, btw, you can stay at the Hotel Eslava for about 35 Euro. I'm sure there are others that are less costly, but I've actually stayed there & can recommend it. :) Most of the towns have pensiones & albergues, but some do not. Always ask at the albergue in the major cities if they can accomodate you; perhaps they'll let you sleep in the "clinic" if they have one. Some have small private rooms as well. Always ask; the worst they can tell you is "No." :)

The private albergue in Atapuerca has electrical outlets by each bed; most albergues have outlets in the rooms, but not so many. As I said, let the hospitalero/a know what you need & if they can accomodate you, they will. :)

Kelly

Thanks so much for the info Kelly; very informative and helpful

30daystosantiago

Camino(s) past & future
2002 solo and 2013 with wife and toddler
I stayed in a mix of refugios and also inexpensive hotels. One suggestion is to check in with the tourist agency in the towns and villages you stay in...and ask them for a list of pensiones. These are usually cheaper than hotels - you get a private room but often have to share bathroom facilities.

When I walked the Camino back in 2001, most cheap hotels and pensiones were 30-40 euros per night...probably more these days but would think 60 per night is a safe assumption.

Buen Camino!

Advertisement

Booking.com