• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Struggling to continue

I think many of us struggle with these feelings at some point. But you also sound exhausted. Get a private room for a night and catch up on some sleep. Even better if you can get a room with a tub where you can soak your aches and pains. I feel like most of us push through and things do get better. A few never get past those feelings. Also - this is something I struggle with - but I get up too early and walk too fast and don't take enough rest breaks. I get to my destination too early - then it is hard to fill those hours. Slow down, stop at the bars, take longer rest breaks, socialize at the bars. Then get into town a little later than you have been, take a shower/do chores/take a nap, then walk around and get dinner in the evening. I am doing the VF this summer and I am going to try very hard not to leave my accommodations until at least 7 or maybe even 8 unless it is going to be very hot.
That's what I started doing and I'm in awe everyday at how much I love walking slowly, stopping to listen to the birds, taking breaks at all the points. It was really hard at first to break my habits, but I've found this mindful presense in going slow that I am just smitten with at the moment.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello,

I am currently about 12 days into my journey on the Camino Frances. The begining week was amazing, full of adrenaline, adventure, new people, beautiful places and i thought, this is the best thing I've ever done. Week 2 has been a struggle for me to even answer why am I doing this? I don't sleep well in the Albergues, then everyday feels like a push to the next destination only to get there and be bored until bedtime and then a poor night's sleep only to do it all again. Everyone says this is the most amazing experience and I just feel like I'm struggling or missing something. It feels more like work. Has anyone had a similar experience that can offer any guidance, suggestions or insight? Thank you.
I am currently 10 days in… Taking a rest day in Logroño. I could have written this post myself! I feel exactly the same way. I am the slowest snail on the trail, consequently, everyone rushes by me, and I rarely see the same faces two days in a row. If you find the inspiration to continue, please do share!

That's what I started doing and I'm in awe everyday at how much I love walking slowly, stopping to listen to the birds, taking breaks at all the points. It was really hard at first to break my habits, but I've found this mindful presense in going slow that I am just smitten with at the moment.
It sounds like you’ve got something wonderful out of the Camino already!Hope it’s ’s still going well….

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It sounds as if you may be very tired. Have you considered booking a night in a private room somewhere? A chance to catch up on your sleep. I don't like to take a whole day off walking myself but perhaps a rest day somewhere? By now you should have a clearer idea of the distance you are comfortable walking each day. I do not like stopping at lunchtime which seems to be the norm these days. On average I walk about 30km per day and I prefer to stop walking in late afternoon. If you book a bed for the night the previous day or early in the morning you can reduce the "bored until bedtime" experience by walking for longer without the fear of finding yourself without a bed.
It could be a symptom of age but I too walk long days, get somewhere, wash clothes and my stinky body, get a bite to eat and fall fast asleep. Not everyone can push through to long days but I'm never bored when I get there and I enjoy the company on the trail.

I am currently 10 days in… Taking a rest day in Logroño. I could have written this post myself! I feel exactly the same way. I am the slowest snail on the trail, consequently, everyone rushes by me, and I rarely see the same faces two days in a row. If you find the inspiration to continue, please do share!
I love Lagroño. Been there twice. The tapas street is fantastic - especially the place that sells just the garlic mushroom heads.

Thanks for the suggestions! Walking later into the day has been a good idea that i've been implementing.
The other side of the coin, for you to consider as you will, is that we (DH and I) have generally walked until about 1 or 2 and then started looking for a place. I remember on the Frances, when we got to the village of the "frogs" on the meseta, we found that all 4 of their albergues (at 3:30 pm) were full. We got a room over one of the bars and were fine. So that's why we try to think about it at around 2 pm. Also we learned that Santiago watches over his pilgrims, and eventually we learned to trust. There will be a place we can lay our heads.
BC

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back