Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestions for Camino in 3rd week January 2019 : Primitivo from Lugo ? or stick on the Frances from Sarria?

taga_cebu

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues Nov 2015, Camino Portugues Costal Sendo Litoral Sept 2017, Camino Ingles (June2018)
Hi again,

I have an 8 day break 3rd week of January next year. I have walked the Portugues Coastal and Ingles, and havent done a Camino ex-Sarria yet. I heard that the Primitivo from Lugo is a nice short walk. Any suggestions and advises? Inputs would be much appreciated , especially from those who have gone on these routes in January before.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Depends on what sort of experience you're after. I've walked various caminos/ parts of caminos in January and it can be cold and wet, with very few pilgrims and lots of closed albergues. For a winter camino, the Frances probably has the best infrastructure, more accommodation options, more pilgrims, and more cafe con leche stops (which will be essential on a freezing Galician winter morning!)

Hi again,

I have an 8 day break 3rd week of January next year. I have walked the Portugues Coastal and Ingles, and havent done a Camino ex-Sarria yet. I heard that the Primitivo from Lugo is a nice short walk. Any suggestions and advises? Inputs would be much appreciated , especially from those who have gone on these routes in January before.
Definitely the F because there are more people and accommodations. The weather could be brutal in J.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you. One quick follow-up: would walking in reverse from Muxia to Finisterre to Santiago be an option or is the route going to be much more of a challenge? I read that you can still get a Compostela from the Pilgrim Center in SdC as the route from Muxia to SdC is a total of 122 kms. But then again, would there be adequate accommodations and pit stops open during that time? Also , would reading the waymarks in reverse be an adequate quide ; if not, what would be the best GPS guide?
I am asking this since I havent walked SdC to Finisterre, and as much as possible I am reserving the walk from Sarria to be included in my planned walk of the full CF in the future.
But if this other option (ex-Muxia) is going to be fraught with safety issues weather- and accommodations-wise, I am open to walk ex-Sarria. By the previous advises, pit stops on the Primitivo ex-Lugo might be wanting in January.

If you walk from Lugo, it's only 2 days of walking before you join up with the Frances! There are pitstops on the Primitivo stretch, but whether they'll all be open is anyone's guess (although you shouldn't have a problem finding accommodation). Only 108 people finished the Primitivo in January this year - so that's about 3 people passing through each stage per day.. But as I said, you join the Frances in Melide (just before Arzua), so you'll only be on the more 'solitary' path for 2 days.

Hi again,

This guy did the Camino Primitivo in february, this is the video from Lugo to As Seixas

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I am starting El Camino Primitivo from Oviedo in 3 days. I will try to follow the normal stages and will attempt to do the Hospital route, if the weather permits it. During my research...
Hello to All !! My wife and I are looking at doing the Camino Primitivo sometime around the beginning of May 2024. We are both retired, in relatively good shape having recently completed a high...
Hey all, I would like to plan a Camino for my Easter holidays. I like the look of the Primitivo but as a complete first timer, I’m a little lost in all of the different options. The community...
I did the Camino Frances from St. Jean in 2022. I wouldn't call it life changing or anything that dramatic, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was so freeing to unburden myself of responsibilities...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back