Summer 2012: Le Puy or del Norte?

er325

May 3, 2012
I have booked my tickets to Madrid from the US, I will be gone for 6 weeks, but I am still having trouble deciding which Camino to do. At this point I am planning on doing del Norte, but have been reading more about the Le Puy route and feel drawn to that too. Here is what is appealing about Le Puy:
1) More civilized accommodations
2) Seems like it will be more calm (Norte will not be as crowded as Frances but with the beach towns the vibe will be different)
3) Challenging terrain
4) Beautiful scenery

I will be doing the last 100 km into Santiago at the end as my mother is flying in for that. Everything I read says "I don't prefer one over the other (Le Puy over Frances)" but the descriptions of the Le Puy route are more appealing to me.

Any thoughts?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

MichaelB10398

Veteran Member
May 30, 2009
Leesburg, Virginia
Time of past OR future Camino
Suffice it to say I haven't yet stopped walking
I recommend that you run, don't walk, to the door that says Le Puy. However, also know that I am very partial to southern France in every way. When the angels are needing a vacation they all go to there. I think you will find the scenry superior to any other place.

Though I was serious above, follow your heart. A pilgrimage is experienced first by the heart regardless of where the feet are leading us. You will have a great time on either route if you choose to have it so.

No more dithering, pick your chemin and off you go. Let us know how it goes; Bon Chemin.

er325

May 3, 2012
Thank you for the words of encouragement.

I took a few weeks off of dreaming about my Camino (or will it be a Chemin? :)) to study for an exam and now that the stress is gone, I am dreaming about Le Puy again! I had all but talked myself into del Norte due to cost and my belief that it is not going to be as hot on Camino del Norte between June 24-July 27.

So I guess if anyone else has feedback for me, could you comment on how different the cost is on the Le Puy route versus Camino del Norte? And is it really hot on the Le Puy route in July? I'm starting medical school in August, so a couple extra hundred dollars for a nice vacation before I sell my soul to this profession is probably not a big deal in the long run. I think the scenery of the route would be nice, and maybe I will get some time off over the next four years to gradually complete the Spanish part...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thornley

Veteran Member
Aug 30, 2008
Melbourne/Australia
Frances x 2 , Norte x 2 , Le Puy x 3 , Portuguese x 2,
Mont St Michel , Primitivo .
If you only have 6 weeks forget Le Puy as you will not reach Santiago to walk the last 10km with your mother.
We adored Le Puy but also found the Norte very enjoyable .
It will be less expensive and you will have more options with food.
There will also be a wider choice of walking companions if you wish.
Don't worry about the big towns on the water , they are actually very nice.
You have your life ahead mate , do both .
Buen Camino,
David

er325

May 3, 2012
I actually was not intending to get to the last 100 km, I was going to walk to SJPP and then take a bus or something to meet her! So that should not be a concern. And life can get in the way, I may never come back.

Bill Walker

Apr 18, 2011
I have set aside 67 days, and am hoping to do both the Le Puy route and the Camino del Norte. However, that leaves a big question. How does a person get from the Le Puy route to the Camino del Norte. In fact, I'm still trying to figure out where the Camino del Norte begins--Irun?

How does one get there? One person suggested I take the GR 10 (a footpath) from St. Jeans, and that 3 days later I will be near Irun. Others have said I need to take a bus. Or is there some intersection on the Le Puy route where I take a turn to the west to get onto the Camino del Norte?

Thanks, Bill Walker

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

ranthr

Veteran Member
Jul 15, 2008
Finnmark, Norway
C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
You could also walk from St. Jean to Pamplona in 3 days and take the bus to Irun or san Sebastian in the evening.
Ranthr

D

Deleted member 3000

[quoteHow does one get there?][/quote]You can take the train from St. Jean Pied de Port to Bayonne, and then either start walking to Irun or take the bus or train to Irun, then start walking. The Camino del Norte starts in Hendaye/Irun.

Reactions: Tamas

Thornley

Veteran Member
Aug 30, 2008
Melbourne/Australia
Frances x 2 , Norte x 2 , Le Puy x 3 , Portuguese x 2,
Mont St Michel , Primitivo .
I think you are pushing it Bill with the 67 days.
There is some serious towns / cities to enjoy and we believe looking at our records over 75 days are required.
San Sebastian/Bilbao/Santander[surprised us] on Norte
Conques/Figeac/Cahors/ Moissac on le Puy.

The Le Puy route has some serious walking and rests will be required ,
You have selected 2 lovely ways,
Buen Camino Bill,
David

PS The food on the french side will slow you up mate, there is some serious dinners coming up.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Stedds

Dec 5, 2012
Manchester
thebackroom.me
Camino Ingles (2012) Camino Del Norte (2013) Camino Primitivo (2013) Via Podensis (2013)
Bill Walker said:
I have set aside 67 days, and am hoping to do both the Le Puy route and the Camino del Norte. However, that leaves a big question. How does a person get from the Le Puy route to the Camino del Norte. In fact, I'm still trying to figure out where the Camino del Norte begins--Irun?

How does one get there? One person suggested I take the GR 10 (a footpath) from St. Jeans, and that 3 days later I will be near Irun. Others have said I need to take a bus. Or is there some intersection on the Le Puy route where I take a turn to the west to get onto the Camino del Norte?

Thanks, Bill Walker

I'm looking up the same route here. Anyone have any more advice about this??

Cheers,

Stedds

Most read last week in this forum

I am very interested in walking from Le Puy to St. Jean in July. I've completed several other Caminos, so I am afraid I'm a little too casual with my prep for this one. I going to spend the next...
Hi, newish pilgrim here, 20, Irish, I completed the Ingles last year and absolutely loved it, and am now setting off on le Chemin du Puy + el Camino Frances on Wednesday. I need to receive a...
Hi, Can anybody recommend a Gite in Gramat? There seem to be a good number of places to stay, but I would like something near the GR if that's possible. A place oriented toward walkers would be...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides