• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Sun block. Which is best

roddy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2010, Camino Portugues 2011,2013.Ingles 2014
Does anyone have any recomendations on sun block ie ease of use, best performance, and most of all safety. I found this on the net. In 2007 the Environmental Working Group (EWG) analyzed 785 sunscreens and its findings suggest that some problems may arise are not due to the avoidance of sunscreen, but the very use of it. The results showed that an alarming 84 per cent provided inadequate protection from the sun or contained ingredients that raised safety concerns. The harmful chemicals identified include allergy-creating PABA, benzophenone-3, homosalate, octyl-methoxycinnamate (OMC) and 4-methyl-benzylidene camphor (4- MBC). These chemical provide excellent sun protection, however experts have indicated that OMC, found in most sunscreen brands, was found to kill mouse cells even at low doses.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have quite a sensitivity to direct sun (polymorphic skin erutions, I think the Dr said). I finally found a sun block called "Vanacream." with active ingredients titanium and zinc dioxide. It really works! More about it here... http://psico.com/

I use Weleda diaper cream because it's gentle and contains zinc to block the sun. I don't like the feel of most commercial sunblocks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum