• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sunglasses

auburnfive

Veteran Member
Looking for recommendations for decent quality sunglasses. Because I tend to leave them behind, don’t want to spend a lot, but I’m guessing that dollar store glasses offer very little eye protection. Thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Depending on where you are located, Goodr Sunglasses are great and come in around $25-$35. Lightweight and polarized, and lots of colors to match your backpack. Non-Reflective, UV400 Lenses and scratch free coating. Available at REI and the like.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
I wear RX sunglasses. I keep them in a croakies brand case on a carabiner attached to my backpack strap. The case holds my regular glasses when I am wearing my shades and they actually can both fit in there at night so I don't lose or break either pair. I can switch them quickly when needed since they are right up by my face and hands on my backpack.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have pretty sensitive eyes so sunglasses are important to me but I never felt the need for a UV polarized lens because I was always wearing a hat when it was super sunny. So if you plan on wearing a hat I think cheap sunglasses will be fine. I have a prescription so I took a pair I alway had from Warby Parker which were like $100 off prescription so if I lost them, yes, it would be a bummer but not a huge loss.

I bought 2 pairs of Native sunglasses a couple of years ago for Camino and daily life during their 50% off Black Friday sale. I like them for the thick arms that block out the sun from the side and they are extremely lightweight.

Your average pharmacy at home should carry decent sunglasses at a reasonable price.

Not sure if you wear glasses normally, but for those that do, I wear prescription 'transition' lenses.
Inside they are clear.
Outside they go darker depending on the strength of the sun.
Never lose them, because I rarely take them off.......

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Look for a podcast called ‘sliced bread’ which has an episode on sunglasses. It’s less than 30 minutes. It tells you precisely which markings to look for on the glasses and why (it may refer specifically to European standards)

Looking for recommendations for decent quality sunglasses. Because I tend to leave them behind, don’t want to spend a lot, but I’m guessing that dollar store glasses offer very little eye protection. Thanks
Don't forget to bring a hard case for glasses. In an Albergue there isn't always a safe place for them.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not sure if you wear glasses normally, but for those that do, I wear prescription 'transition' lenses.
Inside they are clear.
Outside they go darker depending on the strength of the sun.
Never lose them, because I rarely take them off.......
I too wear Transitions lenses in my prescription eyewear. If you are walking a route - like the Frances, where the sun is mostly over your left shoulder to the rear - to the East as you walk West, this should be all the protection you need.

However, if you are either walking a Camino route that faces South or East, or you are walking during summer, in any direction, full protection sunglasses are recommended. I have used both expensive prescription eyewear, as well as Foster Grants from my local pharmacy or supermarket.

I have noticed that, if you can obtain a new pair that have not been scratched while on display, they should serve you very well. In fact, after I had both my cataracts fixed in Florida, five-years ago, I often wear non-prescription sunglasses, and I keep an extra pair in my car, just in case I get caught driving west, into the sun, but without my prescription sunglasses.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Decathlon and Home Depot.
I know the pain of losing sunglasses. Decathlon carries a basic ( semi stylish 😎) black plastic sunglasses for years at a very reasonable €9 (last time). They are very sturdy.

If you are in the states, Home Depot carries safety sunglasses for $5. Surprisingly, the Home Depot sunglasses are sturdy but not as tough as the decathlon glasses. Both seem not to scratch easily.

When they break or I lose them, I marvel at how they lasted so long for the investment.

A friend gifted me some Chums eyeglass lanyard (around the neck kind) and the glasses are not hitting the ground like they used to.

I'm like you, forever loosing my sunglasses, I use a sunhat, Outdoor Research makes a good waterproof hat that REI carries, I picked mine up in Leon last spring.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Another recommendation for GoodR. Also, agree with comments re: having wide brim hat. I found that with the sunglasses I missed too much of the colors of the scenery, so relied more on the hat.

Couple of thoughts from US optometrist association.

Mirror the sun safe recommendations in Oz.

Contrary to other comments, blocking UV is the biggest consideration.

Buen camino

If you are walking the CF then the sun is generally behind you, or nearly. I brought sun glasses on my first Camino and rarely used them.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wear prescription transition glasses with lanyard..lot less chance of losing. Whatever cheap glasses you buy, be sure to keep return receipt and try them out. I found the under-$20 tend to distort the field of view and may fade in areas. For me sunglasses are a must (7 CF's) as the sun is definitely in my face late in the day.

I buy dark safety glasses from a safety store. €10 or less, works for hiking and biking and don't matter when I sit on them or leave them behind

Try on some Maui Jim’s or Oakley’s or go to REI-after all what are your eyes worth?! UV protection and glare management is NOT remotely comparable for $35-70.00. UV protection in cheap sunglasses is quite questionable. Ask an eye doctor. The good ones come WITH a hard case. Next add carabiner to attach to pack for easy access and loss prevention. Take your $5 sunglasses to the Maui Jim store or REI and compare. There is no comparison. Max UV and glare prevention and vivid illuminated colors. ALL plastic inherently blocks some uv- there is a difference with optics. Even a little uv damage can lead to macular degeneration later in life. Overseas mfr no name brands and knock offs standards are quite suspect in spite of labelling. Ask an optician.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Cheap sunglasses must pass the same UV standards as expensive sunglasses. I might not trust sunglasses from a street vendor, but I usually buy sunglasses from reputable retailers for less than $20. In the US at least, even toy sunglasses must block UV rays.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.