• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sun Sleeves?

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt?

My concern is whether or not the fit is comfortable - not too tight so as to constrict, yet not too loose where one must push them up frequently.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt?

My concern is whether or not the fit is comfortable - not too tight so as to constrict, yet not too loose where one must push them up frequently.
Forum member @Magwood uses those sleeves on her Caminos. She is a seasoned walker, but is not on the forum often. Maybe she will reply or you could try sending her a PM.

I used these on my camino; not for sun protection, but as an extra for warmth. They were very useful in the spring when the day temperatures wavered considerably and I wanted to avoid having to stop to don or doff clothing. Mine were cyclists’ sleeves, one size, and I had to take in the upper arms a bit to get them snug enough so they didn’t constantly slip down.

I haven’t yet tried the ‘sun’ sleeves which I imagine are slightly thinner and, hopefully cooler. I am particularly interested in the ‘sun gloves’ as it’s the hands that really take a beating when walking with poles in the sun. I’m interested too in what others have to say. Glad you asked this question.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yep wore them last September/October from Leon will take them again this May from SJPP!
Got the idea from Keith H and Walkerooni and thought yeah with two s/s Merino t shirts and the sleeves ; i have two short and two long sleeve tops!
Like two pairs of zip offs and only one pair of bottoms!
Mine come up inside the t shirt sleeve and have a sort of silicone seal that stops them moving also cover the backs of my hand and have a thumb loop. On a couple of cold mornings they were great with my merino liner gloves ( like a double layer till i warmed up) the pair weigh 78grams!

You do need to get a really good fit, though a few tacks to reduce the circumference at the top of the arm works as fine adjustment.

It’s nice because they grip fairly tight around your arm allowing ventilation into the sleeve of your shirt-sleeved shirt.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have worn "recovery" long-sleeved compression tops as a base layer on all my Caminos. I find them helpful in many ways. Buen Camino. 🚶‍♂️

Can anyone suggest a specific brand or type?
Decathlon have very reasonable priced ones that do the job but no fancy features.

Outdoor Research ActiveIce have thumb loops so they protect the back of the hands and “cooling technology”. Not many different sizes though.

MacPac Brrr are the same as the OR but also odour resistant and a better range of sizes - best of the lot IMO.

Merino Country do simple merino ones in a wide range of colours.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I wear light gloves to protect my hands from the sun when it’s sunny especially when using walking poles. Heavy ones when it’s cold for warmth.
I love my Columbia trekking shirt with sleeves that role up and can be secured with a loop and button. Great protection also from bugs and scratches.
Don’t overthink it.
Best
Mark

I learned a valuable lesson on my VDLP walk a few years ago. I started in late October. I thought it may still be warm when I left Sevilla in late October but didn’t want a short sleeve shirt or shorts. So I took two quick dry long sleeve shirts and one pair of very light pants. Turned out it was over 90F and sometimes 95F every day for about 8 days. The truth is the matter was I did not feel any hotter with my short or pants than with shorts and short sleeve shirt. My clothes had UV protection and my Outdoor Research Sun Runner hat that covered my head neck and almost my entire face I was just fine. Except of course I was hot as hell and had to carry 3 liters of water and the only shade I could find was sitting down and leaning against one of the stone walls that lined the route. 😀

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wore sun sleeves and loved them. They were recommended to me by a ranger friend from the Grand Canyon and was so glad that I took her advice. I bought mine at REI (REI brand). As others have said, they were fitted at the top with a grip fabric band and I had no issues with them falling down. I have also heard that they are available in gardening supply stores, though I don’t know that through personal experience.

I used them in Sept/Oct last year and wouldn’t do another camino without! I bought the ones that go across the shoulders. They were super light and hardly took up any space in my pack. They are very comfortable and helpful for warmth and sun protection and were a real blessing in the heat when I wet them. I didn’t even bring a long sleeved shirt - used these with my short sleeve shirt for warmth. I would put them on when I set out at 6:30am and didn’t even have to stop to remove them when I got hot 30 minutes later. I simply pulled them off and wrapped them around my waist without having to take off my pack. I brought a white pair and a black pair but ended up only keeping the black as the white got, and showed, dirt easily. I highly recommend them. Not that you asked, but I also swore by my chargeable neck fan - the kind that look like headphones but just go around the neck. They acted as white noise during an all night festival in Torres del Rio and I slept like a baby that night. These two items helped me keep cool, and were a Godsend as I trekked along in the Spanish sun with my hot flashes! Got my sleeves from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091QGLLSD?tag=casaivar02-20

Last edited:

Is there a difference ? Wouldn't they be the same as long sleeves, at least you can roll them up?

€149,-
I don't typically use them as sun-sleeves, but use them for cool mornings, pulling them off as the day warms up. Available at most running or cycling shops, available in different sizes and different weights/thicknesses. Likely many brands available, but I get the MEC sleeves in Canada. The US equivalent would be REI.

Yes. Last August - September. Worked well. Took off in the evening and if it was a cool morning
Will use again this year. Porto to Santiago. July

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@MARSKA

I wear mine to protect my arms from UV light, from the sun through the window, when I’m driving.

I bought them from Amazon uk.
At the moment they are about 2.5 times what I paid last summer, but they now come from Amazon US, so maybe they’ll be cheaper there.

Here’s the UK link, I have the cooling, compression, UV protection ones, 4 pairs in black.

I keep some in the car, some in my pack.

Can anyone suggest a specific brand or type?
I have used them on all my caminos. Initially I bought them from a golfing shop and paired them with fingerless SunSmart gloves but this year I bought them from Uniqlo for about half the price - they are very cool, fit snuggly but not uncomfortable and have thumb holes so keep the sun off my hands when I am using my poles and I don’t have to use the fingerless gloves .

Yes, I love mine. I started wearing them on a fall Camino a few years ago, more for warmth on cool days but even when the sun was warming up they did not feel hot. Worn with a short sleeved T-shirt they provided a bit of warmth on the arms without adding to the heat around my torso due to the backpack, and they allowed air circulation around the armpits. Also, they are so easy to take off or put on without removing the backpack or breaking your stride. Easy to carry in a pocket or side pouch. I never hike without them now. Mine are Nike but I’ve had them a few years so not sure if they still make them.

€46,-

I used them last year as I walked in summer. They were excellent. Buy the ones used by golfers. They are a thin Lycra, very comfortable and cooling.
Easy to wash and light weight.

Yes. I’ve worn them for many hikes before for Sun protection. The Pearl IZumi Sun Sleeves from REI work great!

I love mine. Got them at REI, also available at their website. They have a thumb hole to keep them in place and go up past the biceps/triceps. They stay in place, no problem. Not too hot. The palms got discolored, mainly from gripping my trekking poles, but no effect on function. I washed them every few days and hung dry.

€46,-
I'm taking some next month. They are very light (made out of a hosiery type material) and cover backs of the hands up to mid arm. My reasoning is if the sun starts biting I will have some protection when wearing short sleeves, and they will also provide a layer of protection against cold winds. Very easy to take off/put on, and extremely light, so they're in!

I have been shopping for sun sleeves this evening, as so many of you have recommended adding them to my kit. OMG it is overwhelming how many are out there!!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have a pair but rarely use them as they always slip down my arm within the first few hours.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Is there a difference ? Wouldn't they be the same as long sleeves, at least you can roll them up?
I use Smartwool merino removable sleeves frequently. I wear them hiking, mostly for warmth needed in the AM, and I wear them while wilderness canoeing. I also use them for road biking trips.

The beauty is that when you want to remove them you just pull them off from the wrist. No slowing down. No need to remove your pack. They will fit in any accessory pocket in pants, belt, or on the side of your pack. When canoeing, no momentum lost to the wind or current, and no bow partner having to wait.

I love them. I have bigger arms and wish they were slightly larger, but nothing is ever perfect. Smartwool also has the line of plastic/rubber type stuff (maybe silicone) on the upper harm part. Not cheap but I hate having poly on my skin because it makes me sweat right away.

Yep wore them last September/October from Leon will take them again this May from SJPP!
Got the idea from Keith H and Walkerooni and thought yeah with two s/s Merino t shirts and the sleeves ; i have two short and two long sleeve tops!
Like two pairs of zip offs and only one pair of bottoms!
Mine come up inside the t shirt sleeve and have a sort of silicone seal that stops them moving also cover the backs of my hand and have a thumb loop. On a couple of cold mornings they were great with my merino liner gloves ( like a double layer till i warmed up) the pair weigh 78grams!
I also brought two tops and on set of bottoms. Worked well. Brought two short sleeve merino t-shirts and a set of sleeves from Outdoor Research which had a thumb hole and covered my knuckles. Worked well other than that they slipped down. In part the issue is that I am slight of build and they only came in one size but the elastic at the top does not compare with that on my biking sleeves. My solution was elastic bands I picked up along the way. For my upcoming Camino I've gone to OR's light weight sun shirt which comes with a sun protecting hood to reduce skin damage on the sides of your face. Have been happy with how light this shirt is and how it has worked in my training hikes

I'm loving the 'sun hoodie' I bought for this purpose, lightweight (292 grams), with thumb holes to cover hands and hood to cover head, ears back of neck - all UPF50+. There's several big brands, I went cheap & got Uniqlo (AUD$50). I wear it for all my training walks & love it! eg: EgZjaHJvbWUqDAgBECMYJxiABBiKBTIJCAAQRRg5GIAEMgwIARAjGCcYgAQYigUyBggCECMYJzIHCAMQABiABDIHCAQQABiABDIHCAUQABiABDIHCAYQABiABDIHCAcQABiABDIHCAgQABiABDIHCAkQABiABNIBCDM3NjNqMGo3qAIIsAIB

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm loving the 'sun hoodie' I bought for this purpose, lightweight (292 grams), with thumb holes to cover hands and hood to cover head, ears back of neck - all UPF50+. There's several big brands, I went cheap & got Uniqlo (AUD$50). I wear it for all my training walks & love it! eg: EgZjaHJvbWUqDAgBECMYJxiABBiKBTIJCAAQRRg5GIAEMgwIARAjGCcYgAQYigUyBggCECMYJzIHCAMQABiABDIHCAQQABiABDIHCAUQABiABDIHCAYQABiABDIHCAcQABiABDIHCAgQABiABDIHCAkQABiABNIBCDM3NjNqMGo3qAIIsAIB
Can you check your link and edit your post? It is not clickable at all.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi TassietoVP,
I'm thinking of getting one for my next camino. Have you worn it with your backpack just looking at comfort. Might grab one so many colours to choose from? Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I understand that being tighter won't facilitate the fabric breathing.
I don’t see why. A lot of hiking gear that’s trying to optimise wicking advertises a snug fit for exactly that reason.

Anyway, my experience with them so far is it’s not an issue and the much improved ventilation of the arm pits is a definite bonus.

How are they better than rolling your sleeves up or down if you are wearing a tech fabric shirt? Wouldn’t it just be one more thing to carry and keep track of? Not trying to be snarky, I just want to understand.

How are they better than rolling your sleeves up or down if you are wearing a tech fabric shirt? Wouldn’t it just be one more thing to carry and keep track of? Not trying to be snarky, I just want to understand.
Disadvantage- they can slip down.

Advantages - you don’t have a bulky roll when rolled up
- better ventilation into the short sleeves of the shirt (armpit area)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi TassietoVP,
I'm thinking of getting one for my next camino. Have you worn it with your backpack just looking at comfort. Might grab one so many colours to choose from? Thanks
works fine under my pack

Sorry if this has already been suggested. THis is what I wear - very comfortable and no ban around the arm.

I wore them for a season of tennis in Australia's harsh sun. I found they stretched dramatically so were useless re the sun. It's long sleeved for me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Disadvantage- they can slip down.

Advantages - you don’t have a bulky roll when rolled up
- better ventilation into the short sleeves of the shirt (armpit area)
Ok. Thanks for the response.
I don’t think they sound like a big enough advantage for me to use instead of just rolling up/down my sleeves. I’ll stick with my UV 50 tech fabric shirt.
The fewer things I have to carry or worry about losing, the happier I am.
Have you read about the time my pants were “stolen” in an albergue? Yep, fewer things to keep track of.

Ok. Thanks for the response.
I don’t think they sound like a big enough advantage for me to use instead of just rolling up/down my sleeves. I’ll stick with my UV 50 tech fabric shirt.
The fewer things I have to carry or worry about losing, the happier I am.
Have you read about the time my pants were “stolen” in an albergue? Yep, fewer things to keep track of.
That did occur to me as another disadvantage, but only after I posted my response.

I used these on my camino; not for sun protection, but as an extra for warmth. They were very useful in the spring when the day temperatures wavered considerably and I wanted to avoid having to stop to don or doff clothing. Mine were cyclists’ sleeves, one size, and I had to take in the upper arms a bit to get them snug enough so they didn’t constantly slip down.

I haven’t yet tried the ‘sun’ sleeves which I imagine are slightly thinner and, hopefully cooler. I am particularly interested in the ‘sun gloves’ as it’s the hands that really take a beating when walking with poles in the sun. I’m interested too in what others have to say. Glad you asked this question.
This is both a great question AND a great response! I’m currently at the tail end of my first Camino and I have also found that “sun gloves” have been a game changer. What happened to me is/was very unusual and is unlikely to happen to many people, but I think it’s worth sharing nonetheless:

I’ve lived in Florida for 35yrs (currently 38yrs old) and have had hundreds of sunburns without any complications, even a few severe ones. Despite this fact, after receiving a very mild sunburn on my hands around my hiking poles in the first week of the trail, I had a crazy reaction that turned into a major burn with severe swelling up to both wrists and very large blisters across both knuckles. I ended up in the ER and had to take a few zero days until the blisters opened and the swelling went down. I was blessed with a saintly member of my trail family who brought me an old pair of “sun gloves” that he wasn’t using (had never even heard of them!), which has been a lifesaver. Although they’re healing beautifully, my morning ritual continues to include applying Vaseline across my hands, dressing them with gauze, and then putting on the gloves. They’re light enough that they didn’t bother me when it was hot, and they provide a little warmth for the current cold, rainy weather.

I apologize for the length of the story, but use me as a precautionary tale when it comes to hiking long distances in the sun, particularly when using poles!

For me they are because I use them with merino short sleeve t-shirts ( I have tried, but don’t like, the tech fabric shirts) The sleeves just roll down when I stop for a break or am walking in the shade . They don’t slip down - I do get a new pair each Camino.
——-
As an Australian who was oblivious to sun protection in my youth I am astonished to see how blasé many pilgrims from the Northern hemisphere still seem to be about the sun- no hats, no sunglasses, shorts without sunscreen on the backs of their legs , assume that cloud cover protects against UV - all mistakes I made and now rue in my seventies.

Buen Camino .

I am going in my first Camino, but hike extensively. I tend to really like featherweight sun shirts with thumb loops and hoods. I wear them over long line sports bras.

Very cool, sweat wicking and cover very well.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am going in my first Camino, but hike extensively. I tend to really like featherweight sun shirts with thumb loops and hoods. I wear them over long line sports bras.

Very cool, sweat wicking and cover very well.
Agree , would rather have a sun shirt , sleeves too fiddly, or wear long sleeve merino

I take 2 pairs of sun sleeves and 2 leg warmers in place of long sleeve tops and trousers. I buy mine from soxfootwear.co.za. but 15 years ago I bought leg warmers in Spain. Photo: left 2011. Right 2022 on the Primitivo

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240115_125340_Android System.jpg
    Screenshot_20240115_125340_Android System.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 9
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.