Surgical Spirit - The Elixir of Life

Frank66

Mar 15, 2015
Nottinghamshire England
Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2016 Camino Frances
September (2017) First stage of Camino Portugués
Ok, I admit the title was a bit random to generate some interest. ;)
My Camino is in May this year so most of my thoughts are to do with all things feet-related! One of my work colleagues treks quite regularly and has advised me to 'treat" the soles of my feet and in-between toes with surgical spirit nightly, for about a fortnight before my adventure begins. This will harden them up for the pleasures that lie ahead. Any thoughts/experiences with this??
Ps I've already bought it, so if its no good for feet it could be the basis of a fairly interesting cocktail!

Thanks in advance,
Frank :rolleyes:

A selection of Camino Jewellery

wayfarer

Veteran Member
Aug 24, 2008
Co. Clare. Ireland
2012, 2013, 2014.
I have heard of this before, it was very popular in my parents time but I have also heard that it can make you feet hard and prone to cracking of the skin. I do not know the real answers to this but I would recommend a product called "Gloves in a Bottle", available from Boots, and I have found this to be excellent for preventing blisters, for those coming from Australia, a similar, and in my opinion a better product, is SILIC15.
I have also been told that ordinary Vicks is as good as anything.
Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Peterk

Nov 17, 2015
April 2016
2017, April 2019
My daughter, who is a podiatrist, advised me to use moisturising cream on my feet nightly but in between toes use surgical spirit. It has worked a treat on many levels, preventing ailments and ensuring healthy, happy toes!

Reactions: Frank66
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

annakappa

RIP 2024
Jan 6, 2009
Costa Rica
Part frances jun 07/rest frances may- jun 2008/Frances sept-oct 2009/ Sanabres Oct 2010/Frances sept-oct 2011/Aragones Sept-Oct 2012. Hospitalero Sept 2010, Amiga in Pilgrim's Office Oct 2013. Part Primitivo Oct 2013. Portugues from Porto June 2015.
I've also heard to soak your feet in tea every evening and they'll toughen up. I've tried neither.
That's what I do. It certainly toughens up the feet. I've never had dry, cracked feet, but could be because I always use Vaseline on the feet each morning before starting out walking.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Robo

Veteran Member
Oct 12, 2013
Sydney / Bangkok
robscamino.com
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Many moons ago in my previous life in the military we used to do this.

And I seem to recall always getting blisters :eek:. But maybe it was due to the awful boots ?

I thought about it for pre Camino preparation but didn't. I was fine. No blisters. Used lots of Vaseline.....double socks etc etc

Current thinking seems to lean more toward keeping the feet soft, rather than hard...

Reactions: wayfarer

Wokabaut_Meri

somewhere along the Way
Jan 1, 2015
South Australia
Camino Francés 2015
Pilgrims Way 2018
Via Francigena #1 Canterbury-Dover 2018
Hi Frank
Welcome to the Black Arts of Caring for your Feet... there are many potions and remedies available and they work differently on various people in varied situations. Over the years I've both seen and tried many methods and a few times used the tea and betadine skin toughener favoured by ultra marathon runners. It worked a treat.

One of my experiences with surgical spirit was watching a doctor pour it over a mate's horrendously blistered and macerated feet. Once the screaming and threats of litigation stopped, and with a day's rest, he was able to complete his walk. Effective but not recommended! Surgical spirit or any other astringent solution - witch hazel/tea/wine (leftover)/tincture of benzoin/vinegar - will all have a similar drying effect. If this works for you, do it. You have quite a bit of time to experiment before you go.

My bible is a book called Fixing Your Feet by Jon Vonhof now in its 5th edition.

Recommend it both for those interested and serious about foot care. It contains such gems as:
We are each an experiment of one and
What works for you may not work for the next person and what works for you now may to work for you next time.

That's the best advice that I can give you.

Wishing you happy and healthy feet and a Buen Camino.

Reactions: dougfitz
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Jan 18, 2015
Too many and too often!
Not convinced. I'd try to make a couple of practice walks of roughly the daily distance you are aiming for on the camino - wearing the boots and socks you plan to use. That should show up any problem areas. If there is only minor irritation you will probably form callouses over the hotspots very quickly. If there are big problems consider changing your socks/shoes/boots. Drying out your skin with neat alcohol sounds like a recipe for hard but brittle skin and deep nasty cracks at some stage along the way.

CathyJ

Jun 17, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
Camino Frances - April 2016
SJPP to SDC
One of my experiences with surgical spirit was watching a doctor pour it over a mate's horrendously blistered and macerated feet. Once the screaming and threats of litigation stopped, and with a day's rest, he was able to complete his walk. Effective but not recommended!
My son spent many years rowing and methylated spirits was used on their hands for blister prevention. And, they also poured it onto their open blisters! Arrrgh!!
I'm with @jppreston, Trail Toes for me

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides