• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Swimming pool in april/may?

irrie

Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Camino Portugues 2024 Via Francigena
We are starting the Camino Frances on 21 of april. I wonder if it makes sense to bring my bathing suit. There are some places that have a swimming pool, but the water would be too cold this time of year? Ofcourse I don’t want to carry the extra weight of a bikini if I wouldn’t use it anyway. Every gram counts 😀😀

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This summer I am taking a tank top with a built in bra from Duluth Trading Post and a board skort from Lands End with me. I can walk in these as well as swim. I am not a slim girl anymore so a bikini just won't work for me. Both pieces are fast drying.

Walked the CF mid-April through early June and saw numerous swimming pools that were ALMOST open 😂. However, I did swim at the ocean afterwards wearing my lightest pair of hiking shorts! I’d skip the swimsuit and do similar if you are lucky enough to find one open.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have taken the bikini out of my backpack. minus 130 grams😉
Good decision 🙂.
If you DO get a chance to swim, just wear undies and a t-shirt.
On 28 JUNE 2014 I intentionally stayed at Hontanas, as there is a municipal swimming pool there.
However, it was SO cold that day, that I sat by the pool all afternoon, in all the clothes I owned, and read a book.
In the photo, on the far side, is the pool attendant, fast asleep wrapped up in his sleeping bag!

20140628_143421 Hontanas2.jpg

This past summer it was too cold to swim in June/July! Haha. When we did have a pool - we sat by it completely dressed (for most of us anyway). Getting to Finisterre - I only walked in the water with shorts and a tank top. Could have swam in them but chose not too. Water was pretty cold. If it does get warm enough to swim - I will use my Nike style running shorts that have an attached pantie and a sports bra (with or without a tank top). The running shorts dry VERY quickly. Sports bra might take a little longer but also quick drying - and I have a 2nd one to change into anyway.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We are starting the Camino Frances on 21 of april. I wonder if it makes sense to bring my bathing suit. There are some places that have a swimming pool, but the water would be too cold this time of year? Ofcourse I don’t want to carry the extra weight of a bikini if I wouldn’t use it anyway. Every gram counts 😀😀
I started my pilgrimage on May 1 and purposely stayed at places that had a pool. It was always too cold to use. I would still bring a suit because soaking your feet will reduce inflammation and you can get some sun!

Depends on your love of swimming- I always carry swimmers and you may have the opportunity to swim indoors as well if you want to eg Najera Pamplona. I often jumped in when others thought it too cold. I love a bit of hydrotherapy after a long day on the camino!

I swam in the river at Estella in late May, water was cool but the sun was shining ☺️

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you are in Astorga there is - or was - a Spa at the Hotel via de la Plata Spa that you could use without staying at the hotel and it was worth every penny of the $25. Swim suit required - the pool and all the “showers, heated benches, massaging showers and more” were amazing.

Some pools have rules that you are not allowed to swim in underwear as they are afraid some people will do it in the same underwear they had on while walking and sweating.
I did swim on my May-June Camino, the water was bitterly cold but I'm from the North, I managed. Upside is that I had the pool all to myself.

Walked the CF mid-April through early June and saw numerous swimming pools that were ALMOST open 😂. However, I did swim at the ocean afterwards wearing my lightest pair of hiking shorts! I’d skip the swimsuit and do similar if you are lucky enough to find one open.
I’m about to walk in that same period, late April to mid june.

I know each year if different but in general how much rain did you encounter?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you are in Astorga there is - or was - a Spa at the Hotel via de la Plata Spa that you could use without staying at the hotel and it was worth every penny of the $25. Swim suit required - the pool and all the “showers, heated benches, massaging showers and more” were amazing.
Look at that face! 💗

I’m about to walk in that same period, late April to mid june.

I know each year if different but in general how much rain did you encounter?
I walked late May into early June and we had some lovely warm and sunny days and a few rainy days. By and large it was sunnier than it was rainy. Not so sure about April though

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back