• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

swiss army knife on planes

lrisvold

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015)
I've read that many pilgrims found their knife/multi use tool to be one of the most valuable things they brought. I would like to bring one but am traveling from the USA and am unsure how I would go about getting something like that through the airlines. I hadn't planned to check any baggage thinking my pack would be a carry-on. Those who have gotten a knife through airlines, how did you do it? Would it be better to purchase one in Madrid and if so exactly where do I find one?
Buen camino,
Lisa

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don't even attempt to try and smuggle a knife in your carry on bag through TSA, you'll only add yourself to the TSA blacklist every time you go through airport security for future travel.
Pack it in a small box along with walking sticks, liquids, and other cabin prohibited items and check it in, you're allowed 1 check in of up to 23KG/50lbs with your ticket.

Last edited:
I've read that many pilgrims found their knife/multi use tool to be one of the most valuable things they brought. I would like to bring one but am traveling from the USA and am unsure how I would go about getting something like that through the airlines. I hadn't planned to check any baggage thinking my pack would be a carry-on. Those who have gotten a knife through airlines, how did you do it? Would it be better to purchase one in Madrid and if so exactly where do I find one?
Buen camino,
Lisa
It is easier to go into any shop when you arrive and buy a small covered kitchenknife. They are cheap and doesn't weigh much. That's all you need.
Randi

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Lisa,

Would totally agree with Randi and Bajaracer. Like you, I was hell-bent on bringing my SAK everywhere. 10 years ago, I ended up in Cuzco and my checked bag did not. I decided then I would never check my bag for as long as I could help it. My 32L pack is usually in reaching distance unless in a bus undercarriage. Especially on the Camino, anything my knife could do is substituted, attained, borrowed so I don't have to bring my own. The only thing I do purchase in my first food/liquid stop is a corkscrew. ;)

Keep a smile,
Simeon

Good points all. Here’s another suggestion, which came to me via another forum member.

Purchase a suitable size box from your post office, FedEx, etc. (in my case, long and narrow) put in the items that you are not permitted to carry on board the airline – poles, pocketknife, nail file, etc. – and check in the box on your flight. When you get to where you are going to start, put the items you don’t need for your Camino into the box and mail it to Ivar in Santiago. Collect it when you get there. On my return flight I checked my pack - at that point, it didn’t matter if it went astray.

Buen Camino :):):)
Charleen

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Are knives in checked baggage a problem? I've travelled with a Swiss Army knife, Opinel knives and a Gerber multi-tool in checked baggage and never had any problems. I flew to Asturias last year with a knife in my checked bag and was not questioned either way.

I'd agree, buy a knife in Spain. It's easier. I get pretty attached to my knives and would hate for one of them to disappear due to an overzealous security inspector. SA's and Opinels are available all over the place, if I remember right I saw newsstands in train and bus stations selling Opinels.

I remember the days when you could buy a flick knife in Charles de Gaulle airport.

Thank you all for the comments! I think I'll just wait and get one when I get to Madrid. Sounds like less hassle.

Thank you all for the comments! I think I'll just wait and get one when I get to Madrid. Sounds like less hassle.
My 30L pack was with me on my flight from Washington DC to MAD last year. This way I know my essentials are never lost/rerouted by the airlines. Can you imagine having to wait in Madrid for your lost pack to catch up with you? Even for a few days? However, since my telescopic hiking poles (also essential to me) were not allowed on board, I duct-taped them together, then duck-taped my SAK to the poles, wrapped some flattened cardboard box around them - and checked them in. Upon arrival at MAD I unwrapped the package and chucked the cardboard in the trash can. Note: 1. I wrapped some extra duct tape around the pole shafts (by the handles). On the return trip I reversed the procedure, using the extra tape so that I didn't have to carry the whole roll or buy a new one in Spain. 2. I also wrapped the package with a few feet of small nylon strings - to serve as handle for the package. More importantly, the string (which takes no room and weighs next to nothing) is used as a clothesline where there are none - or when there's not enough provided lines. If and when TSA allows hiking poles to be carried on, I'll just take the poles with me and buy a knife wherever I land.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you'll be coming through Pamplona, there's a shop in the historic center of the city that sells a wide selection of Swiss Army Knives. It's located on Calle San Miguel, just off Calle San Nicholas.

Calle San Nicholas is one of the main pedestrian streets coming of the Plaza del Castillo, the main square, and it's loaded with fabulous tapas bars. In other words, you'll be there anyway!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.