• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poles on the Plane and Security

NebraskaKate

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances & Finisterre '22
Primitivo June '23
We just returned from our Camino and went through 7 different security check-points in the US and Spain with no checked luggage (carried our bags on board). My husband had poles. Five out of seven times they cleared security-that means twice they were denied on board (FYI)
They did not clear in Madrid- so we ran back and checked the bag- then we were nervous it would not make the flight as it was a tight connection, but it did.
We initially cleared the security in Chicago, but then after a series of delays left for a hotel and came back. The next day in Chicago, the poles did not clear security.
(I am posting for planning purposes for others....be prepared to check your bag or ditch your poles- I am fine with security decisions, just letting you know it isn't a guarantee the poles come on board).
*Cascade brand pole folding three ways

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks.

It’s the Chicago experience which is the most telling. Same airport; same written rules; presumably different staff.

To help confirm - or not - other earlier feedback; were your poles the conventional ‘three tubes which slide into each other’ type; or the folding ‘z-pole’ variety? Treatment of the two types does seem to vary.

Thanks.

It’s the Chicago experience which is the most telling. Same airport; same written rules; presumably different staff.

To help confirm - or not - other earlier feedback; were your poles the conventional ‘three tubes which slide into each other’ type; or the folding ‘z-pole’ variety? Treatment of the two types does seem to vary.
It is a Cascade brand pole that folds three ways- Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
that may put ‘El gato entre las palomas’
I'm not sure why. @NebraskaKate's experience seems entirely consistent with the information in this thread. In other words, you can often take folding poles through security, but there is no guarantee, so you must be prepared to check or abandon them.

I'm not sure why. @NebraskaKate's experience seems entirely consistent with the information in this thread. In other words, you can often take folding poles through security, but there is no guarantee, so you must be prepared to check or abandon them.
You’re quite right C; as usual. As many years of rehearsing the same arguments have taught us, there is nothing quite so certain as ‘the interpretation of the rules may vary’.

Kate’s recital is unusually helpful as it compares the same poles at the same airport twice within 24 hours.

QE, as they say, D.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We just returned from our Camino and went through 7 different security check-points in the US and Spain with no checked luggage (carried our bags on board). My husband had poles. Five out of seven times they cleared security-that means twice they were denied on board (FYI)
They did not clear in Madrid- so we ran back and checked the bag- then we were nervous it would not make the flight as it was a tight connection, but it did.
We initially cleared the security in Chicago, but then after a series of delays left for a hotel and came back. The next day in Chicago, the poles did not clear security.
(I am posting for planning purposes for others....be prepared to check your bag or ditch your poles- I am fine with security decisions, just letting you know it isn't a guarantee the poles come on board).
I also had to check my z poles in Madrid in April — they were folded into their carrying sack. Made it through everywhere else—Albuquerque, Dallas (twice). Many others places over years without problem. Fortunately we allowed plenty of time — and needed it.

After a knee injury ended my Camino last month, I caught a flight to Barcelona. I had read that people are able to take their poles on the plane, if they need them for mobility. In this case, not so. I was turned back at security and had to check my poles. I then had to use their wheelchair service.

Last year I bought some weird and beautiful poles in France just before my camino. I didn't want to risk having an over eager plane security toss them in the garbage, so I posted them home from Santiago. The lady in the post-office in Santiago was incredibly helpful. I've got some photos of her boxing up my weird and beautiful wooden sticks with patience and dedication. Its worth considering posting some of your stuff home if you are worried about it getting lost or damaged on the plane.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Buy poles on arrival and donate at Pilgrim House in Santiago.

We bought poles on arrival in Spain, then put them in our checked packs for the trip home. But they were low-cost poles, so we could have easily donated somewhere.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Decathlon has a good selection of poles, and I’ll pick up a pair when I land.
Is Decathlon the name of a store? I'm planning to fly either to Barcelona or Madrid. Would you recommend buying poles in those cities or waiting until I can go to SJPP? Are poles very expensive in Spain?

Even if you can’t find a hiking/sporting goods store you can almost always find a China Bazaar with an assortment of no-name walking sticks, folding or telescoping. I found mine while I was walking up the main shopping street in Ferrol. It served me well through the daily uphills of the Inglés.

Best regards,
Paul

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Even if you can’t find a hiking/sporting goods store you can almost always find a China Bazaar with an assortment of no-name walking sticks, folding or telescoping. I found mine while I was walking up the main shopping street in Ferrol. It served me well through the daily uphills of the Inglés.

Best regards,
Paul
I'm glad someone had a good experience buying from these stores. I bought a pair of poles there, and they failed within two days. My only comment would be not to buy sprung poles, but to buy just a straightforward unsprung pole if you do take this approach. They have fewer parts to fail.

I'm glad someone had a good experience buying from these stores. I bought a pair of poles there, and they failed within two days. My only comment would be not to buy sprung poles, but to buy just a straightforward unsprung pole if you do take this approach. They have fewer parts to fail.
@dougfitz,
Yes it’s true. The quality might not always be there, but for a no-frills telescoping and locking stick it did the trick for about €6.00.
I’m done bringing my sticks with me.

All the best,
Paul

@dougfitz,
Yes it’s true. The quality might not always be there, but for a no-frills telescoping and locking stick it did the trick for about €6.00.
I’m done bringing my sticks with me.

All the best,
Paul
I was stressing about bringing my poles but now with the reassurance from all who buy them once you get to Spain, that's what I'm going to do.

Regarding poles and donating them in Santiago, is there a way to have someone pick up the donated poles in Santiago and bring them to the albergues? We had to send several people to the Chinese shop from the albergue in Grado, since it was open later in the day than the sports shop. We had plenty of other stuff pilgrims had left to give to people in need, but never any poles...

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.