• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

T4 To atocha

gville pelagreno

Time of past OR future Camino
frances 10/01/2014
I land at 7:50 am dec 27th madrid t4 there's a us to pamplona at 10:45 at t4. This is is what I'll catch most likely but there's a 9:40 train leaving from attoacha. My question is is there any chance of making the earlier train? I'll have a checked bag and no idea how long to get it clear passport control and out the door at madrid. It's pretty tight but any advice would be appreciated thanks Gary

A selection of Camino Jewellery
How to get by train to / from Madrid airport - Train to / from terminal T4
The Spanish railway company RENFE, connects Madrid with the Madrid Barajas T4 airport terminal through the local train network service "Cercanías".

The metro station at the terminal T4 P1, is also the end of the line. From there, you have to take the shuttle bus service, which connects with the rest of the installations.

The price for a simple ticket is 2,55 € (corresponding to a trip to the B2 area). Passengers with an AVE ticket, who have to get on a flight, do not need to pay additionally.

The duration of the connecting routes with the new line C-1 to the airport is as follows:

Príncipe Pío train station - Airport T4: 38 minutes.
Chamartín train station - Airport T4: 11 minutes.
Nuevos Ministerios train station - Airport T4: 18 minutes.
Atocha train station - Airport T4: 25 minutes.
Puerta del Sol train station - Airport T4: 22 minutes.

The C-1 service starts at 5.15 a.m. (the airport being the terminal station) and at 5,59 a.m. in the opposite direction. The last train from the Príncipe Pío train station departs at 23.32 p.m. and the last service from the airport departs at 00.15 a.m. Trains leave every 30 minutes from 05.15 a.m. in the morning.

Hi, Gary,
It's a half hour between T4 and Atocha on the RENFE Cercanias trains. Trains leave the airport at 28 and 58 past every hour. If you were going to go for the train, I'd recommend that you buy the ticket at the RENFE office at the airport before you board the Cercanias train. That way, when you got to Atocha, you wouldn't have to stand in a long ticket line.

You'd have to get the 8:58 am Cercanias in order to make it to the 9:40 train, and that would be a close but do-able connection. You'll know by the time you get through customs and get your bag whether it makes any sense to go for it, but if the stars aligned right you might make it. Good luck, buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In my experience with travel during the 12 days of Christmas, I would recommend you plan on catching the 1505 train ... a few flakes of snow somewhere anywhere always send Christmas period traffic into havoc.

It normally take a half hour from time of deboarding to time of getting your bags. I would allow at least another half hour for passport control, however if all the customs agent do is stamp your passport with a visa then it probably will go faster.

The Metro will take 45 minutes ... too tight.

The bus takes 40 minutes ... depending on traffic ... too tight.

The Cercanias will take 25 minutes and leaves at 0858. The next leaves at 0928 and will arrive too late.

So the time appreciation is:

- 0750 land.
- 0820 collect bags
- 0850 clear customs
- 0858 catch Cercanias
- 0940 catch train

Its tight. You will need to know where to go to catch the Cercanias train. I would suggest that you don't buy a ticket in advance ... any delay will mean you miss the train. Murphy's law applies.

If you try it and get to Atocha Renfe station too late then take the Metro to Avenida de America to catch the ALSA bus to Pamplona.

2006 Madrid Airport to train station Puerto de Atocha

a. Puerto de Atocha is reached by Metro. Take line 8 from airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Nuevos Ministerios; line 10 to Tribunal; and, line 1 to Renfe Atocha.

b. Puerto de Atocha is reached by Renfe Cercanias direct from Madrid Airport T4

c. Puerto de Atocha is reached by EMT Madrid Aeropuerto Express direct from Madrid Airport.

2011 Madrid Airport to bus station Avenida de America

Intercambiador de Avenida de America (Madrid) is co-located with the Metro. Take line 8 from Barajas airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Colombia; and, line 9 to Avenida de America.

Madrid Metro
http://www.metromadrid.es/en/index.html

Madrid Metro Map
http://www.metromadrid.es/export/sites/metro/comun/documentos/planos/Planomayo2013.pdf

Madrid Cercanias (operated by Renfe)
http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/index.html

EMT Madrid provides Madrid transit bus services
http://www.emtmadrid.es/

EMT Madrid Aeropuerto Express
http://www.emtmadrid.es/lineaAeropuerto/index.html

Intercambiador de Avenida de America
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercambiador_de_Avenida_de_América

I land at 7:50 am dec 27th madrid t4 there's a us to pamplona at 10:45 at t4. This is is what I'll catch most likely but there's a 9:40 train leaving from attoacha. My question is is there any chance of making the earlier train? I'll have a checked bag and no idea how long to get it clear passport control and out the door at madrid. It's pretty tight but any advice would be appreciated thanks Gary

Gary:

Play it safe and take a cab 15 minutes and 30 euro's. It could be a good idea, as Laurie suggested, to purchase your train ticket in the airport. There is rarely a line;

Ultreia,
Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Gary:

Play it safe and take a cab 15 minutes and 30 euro's. It could be a good idea, as Laurie suggested, to purchase your train ticket in the airport. There is rarely a line;

Ultreia,
Joe

I am not sure that taking a cab would always be playing it safe. T4 is about 20 km from Atocha. It would just depend on time of day and traffic, and you will be arriving in morning rush hour if it's a weekday.

And if it's not too late for this, you should check about buying a multi-city plane ticket, arriving into Pamplona, leaving from Santiago. There are several flights a day to Pamplona and if you missed a tight morning connection (I once did), they will rebook you onto the next flight. You may find that it only adds a small amount to the cost of your round trip ticket in and out of Madrid and saves a whole lot of time and hassle. Good luck. Buen camino, Laurie

It is a Saturday, early morning on the Christmas weekend, so still, "Playing it safe" would be more likely to take the train from T4 to Atocha. I have done both and train is faster and much, much cheaper. The taxi option only makes sense if you were carrying loads of luggage (unlikely, right?). However, it also likely that you will find yourself in the midst of travelers heading back home after after the Christmas break, so have a Plan B, C, and D in case train tickets are sold out. I really think, that all things considered, that 0945 hrs train from Atocha is definitely tight and if I were you I would not add that pressure after flying transatlantic overnight. BTW, flying into Pamplona should be part of your options....

IF I were you, I would actually take the bus (ALSA.es or SAMAR.es). A bus departs for Pamplona every four hours from T4 so your dilemma as to how to get to Madrid goes away, the buses are very comfortable, clean, and reliable (ALSA is about $70). If you miss one, there comes in the next. Samar leaves from Estacion Avenida Americas, which I have used 2-3 times, very easy to get to from Barajas and again, there are about 3 SAMAR buses that leave from Estacion Avenida Americas for Pamplona (cheaper: $40-45). I like to use the bus when heading out to Pamplona because the main station is very close to the Camino, very accesible. Hope you have a wonderful Camino!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would personally opt for the bus from T4 to Pamplona.

There is no accounting for how long it will take to clear 'formalities' on leaving the airport. Also, if you are coming in on an overseas flight, it has not been unheard of that there may have been delays in take-off and landing times. - In addition, being it is the holiday season, it would not be unlikely that check-out facilities in Barajas could be slightly undermanned.

When negotiating Atocha myself, it did take me some time to get my bearings the first time I was there. So don't underestimate the time required - especially if you are also a bit jetlagged.

Buen camino, annelise

I would personally opt for the bus from T4 to Pamplona.

I think you will make the bus without a problem, however, it may be full. There is an ALSA ticket sales office at the exit of T4 - make sure you get to it as soon as possible to secure a seat. If you miss the first bus , there will be another. I last used the bus this October - some of the trips are now 'Premium' where one pays more for luxury and popularity. To my mind , getting to the train station is too much hassel ............ unless you are in no hurry and want to spend a night in Madrid central then the train can be a smooth option - buying your train ticket at T4 is sound advice - the queues at the station can be crazy.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back