• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Timing - Flight Arrival to Boarding the Alsa Bus at Madrid's T4

TomESD

Time of past OR future Camino
October, 2023, Camino Frances
Hello to all.
Group of 4, 2 of us in mid-70's, planning 1st Camino. Have a question concerning timing. Our Iberia/AA flight from USA is scheduled to arrive at 07:50 in Madrid on 1 June 2024; hoping to then board Alsa bus leaving T4 at 10:00 for Ponferrada. Anyone have experience with the time it takes to clear immigration and customs and move to T4? Traveling with carry-on's only, so no wait for baggage. Appreciate your thoughts and opinions if this is too tight to depend upon, and on-line bus ticketing would be wasted.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello to all.
Group of 4, 2 of us in mid-70's, planning 1st Camino. Have a question concerning timing. Our Iberia/AA flight from USA is scheduled to arrive at 07:50 in Madrid on 1 June 2024; hoping to then board Alsa bus leaving T4 at 10:00 for Ponferrada. Anyone have experience with the time it takes to clear immigration and customs and move to T4? Traveling with carry-on's only, so no wait for baggage. Appreciate your thoughts and opinions if this is too tight to depend upon, and on-line bus ticketing would be wasted.
I think you will have time. Since you are flying in on Iberia/AA, you will arrive in T4. You will arrive in the satellite T4S, which is where immigration is. Unless you are unlucky, the immmigration control will not be crowded at that time. You then have to take a train from the T4S to T4. It runs very frequently and takes about 5 minutes.

Once you are in T4, you will have to get to the new bus station, which is a bit of a schlepp. See this video, which is done IN REVERSE, but it gives you an idea what getting to the new bus station will require.

And one more tip — when you are moving around in T4 and T4S, it’s almost always much quicker to take the elevator, not the escalator.

Hello to all.
You should have plenty of time.
However I don't advise buying ahead of time.
It takes about 10 min to figure out the machine and what ticket to purchase.
And if your plane comes in early, you will likely want to buy an earlier ticket, if there is an earlier train going to Ponferrada.

Last edited:
And one more tip — when you are moving around in T4 and T4S, it’s almost always much quicker to take the elevator, not the escalator.
No way! I always wondered... but then again I am always also stuck behind a sizable contingent of travelers on the escalator. And good luck with people sticking to one side with others walking up or down on the other... I usually end up taking the stairs, especially on that last part after the train... it does give me some perverse pleasure watching as I pass the others by just using the stairs.

For the OP, I think you have time. Not an abundance, but I wouldn't be worried about it. I have arrived many times at MAD with a connection to be made, luggage to be collected (poles), with less time than you have. My heart rate has been raised on occasion, but once you're in the passport control line you'll notice it moves well... Buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think you will have time. Since you are flying in on Iberia/AA, you will arrive in T4. You will arrive in the satellite T4S, which is where immigration is. Unless you are unlucky, the immmigration control will not be crowded at that time. You then have to take a train from the T4S to T4. It runs very frequently and takes about 5 minutes.

Once you are in T4, you will have to get to the new bus station, which is a bit of a schlepp. See this video, which is done IN REVERSE, but it gives you an idea what getting to the new bus station will require.

I recommend this advice.

I think you have time, but I'd also leave to buy tickets on the spot (unless they are so cheap that you don't mind the gamble).
Depending on the day there are also buses in the afternoon that could be a back up plan. You can also go to the Renfe (train) counter and see if there are any connections you can make to get to Ponferrada. There is a train station in T4 terminal.

After watching Peregrina 2000's video above, showing the entire walk from the "new" bus station at Madrid Barajas to Terminal 4, I am of the opinion that taking a train to T4 is the answer for flying out of MAD.

The new walk is absurd, and likely would qualify for a sello and a short segment completed on a Camino (just a broma poco - little joke). But the walk is overly long, If you have luggage, or a bicycle, the distance is onerous.

On the other hand, the RENFE and Cercanias stations are directly underneath T4. I could see the directional signs at the end of the video. Also, the inter-terminal buses stop immediately in front of T4.

I am very glad I watched the video because I have originated travel at MAD in the past, arriving there by bus, or departing from T4 by bus. I will avoid doing so in future. The old bus 'station' was directly in front of T4, on the lower, arrivals level. It was VERY convenient.

The best advice, IMHO, for departing MAD to travel to Ponferrada or Pamplona by ground transport is to take the train downtown to transfer to a train that goes where you want it to. The same goes to returning to MAD from Santiago, or elsewhere. Take the train, connect to the airport. Less hassle. at least IMHO.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Maybe I missed it, but did anyone add in the time it takes (which can be an ever changing number) it takes to get through Customs, collect baggage, etc? We just never plan anything other than excessive time on the first landing site in a foreign country (having landed 7 times in 7 different countries in the last 4 months) with Customs (involved in 4 of our flights) and Baggage claim involved.

Maybe I missed it, but did anyone add in the time it takes (which can be an ever changing number) it takes to get through Customs, collect baggage, etc?
I gave the opinion that they are likely to make the connection, even with the long walk to the bus terminal. They are not checking baggage, so that will speed things up. In my experience it takes a LONG time for the baggage to arrive from the satellite terminal to the main T4 terminal.

But delays can happen of course - I once missed a connection with a two hour layover in Madrid, but I have also made it from the plane to the café in the Chamartin train station in 40 minutes. And that was when there was still an added step for covid.

My 2022 experience:
I got off the plane at 6:35 and by 7:15 I had been through immigration, taken the train to the main terminal T4, gone through the vaccination check, taken the commuter train to the Chamartin train station, and was drinking my first cafe con leche.

It all depends on the timeliness of the arrival and whether there are lots of othe planes arriving at the same time. No way to predict with certainty, but I think the odds are very good. Especially if they familiarize themselves with the layout of the airport, the train connection, and the walk to the new bus terminal.

Hello to all.
I had the same itinerary in September and had plenty of time. Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Thank you, this is helpful. Do all non-EU carriers arrive in T4S? E.g., British Airways, KLM (flights with stops and lower fares).

Hello to all.
Should be no problem. I think Iberia international flights deplane at T4. Even if it flight does not there is really good transportation between terminals. I made a 50 minute flight connection with time to spare.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Maybe I missed it, but did anyone add in the time it takes (which can be an ever changing number) it takes to get through Customs, collect baggage, etc? We just never plan anything other than excessive time on the first landing site in a foreign country (having landed 7 times in 7 different countries in the last 4 months) with Customs (involved in 4 of our flights) and Baggage claim involved.
I think everyone did.

In my experience, I walk out of T4 and right onto the bus.
Is this new bus station AT the airport?

I gave the opinion that they are likely to make the connection, even with the long walk to the bus terminal. They are not checking baggage, so that will speed things up. In my experience it takes a LONG time for the baggage to arrive from the satellite terminal to the main T4 terminal.

But delays can happen of course - I once missed a connection with a two hour layover in Madrid, but I have also made it from the plane to the café in the Chamartin train station in 40 minutes. And that was when there was still an added step for covid.

My 2022 experience:
I got off the plane at 6:35 and by 7:15 I had been through immigration, taken the train to the main terminal T4, gone through the vaccination check, taken the commuter train to the Chamartin train station, and was drinking my first cafe con leche.

It all depends on the timeliness of the arrival and whether there are lots of othe planes arriving at the same time. No way to predict with certainty, but I think the odds are very good. Especially if they familiarize themselves with the layout of the airport, the train connection, and the walk to the new bus terminal.
It's never taken me more than 45 minutes to an hour.
However, I NEVER check my pack so I don't have to retrieve luggage.
Too many of my clients have arrived in Madrid with no bags and had to buy all new for their Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In my experience, I walk out of T4 and right onto the bus.
Is this new bus station AT the airport?
Hi Annie,
In the video it took the person about 7 or 8 minutes to walk to the "new" bus station. Signage looks pretty good though. In the old days it was just right outside the T4 door, but now looks like an actual bus station with places to sit and wait out of the weather.

So like if you just want to take a bus to Charmartin train station do you have to go to the bus station first? Like @J Willhaus says, it was just outside the door!
I would take the Cercanias train to Chamartin. To Atocha you can choose from Express Bus or Cercanias train. The little bus map I found still shows the Express picking up right outside of T4. Don't know if it is accurate.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes this is a new bus station. No more bus bays outside T4 arrivals.
but the one to Charmartin wasn't a bay. It was parked alongside the second road. You just had to cross the street.I think, peregrina2000, you told me to do that some time back. It used to be yellow, but it's not anymore. More like blue.

Last edited:
Note: One more thing. I have personally found the METRO a little intimidating (the subway/train connecting MAD to the desired location), given my limited knowledge of the layout of the city in Madrid and my OK Spanish skills. Last time I used it was from Charmartin -> Barajas (where I usually spend the last night in Spain before taking my return flight home to USA). I always lack confidence approaching the ticket machine on the subway... I know my destination desired but don't have one of those plastic travel cards and for me the user interface is difficult to navigate. Still tho, I've challenged myself on the last few visits... On the last trip I struggled, but I flagged down a worker there, who are usually staged near the ticket machines... All I said was "Quiero ir a Barajas". He did the work on the machine, and then guided me to the platform required to board a train and he told me where to transfer. It worked! He didn't seem annoyed with my ignorance but rather proud to provide assistance.

I too, found this way more economical and faster.

If budget isn't a consideration and ease of use is desired... the taxis are great. You just walk out of the terminal / station and find the taxi line filled with white cars. By far the easiest option, but it costs more.

€60,-
@Damien Reynolds , as many times as you've been in Spain, you still don't have a metro card?

Shoot. I've had them for about half an hour. But always toss them after the immediate journey.

I didn’t know you could keep them either ??

Note: One more thing. I have personally found the METRO a little intimidating (the subway/train connecting MAD to the desired location),

Same here. Very daunting .

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

I didn’t know you could keep them either ??

Same here. Very daunting .
Last time I spent about 10 days in Madrid before and after my Caminos and I purchased a travel card at the airport on arrival. Very easy at the airport. I got a ten day tourists concession that meant that I didn't have to even think about the actual fare costs and used the metro, busses and local trains extensively.

I find that Google Maps gives me great information including which entrance and exit to take at the station and which platform to board and/or change lines.

I remember back in 2019 it seemed a bit daunting but the second time around and actually using the service daily meant that I quickly got used to it.

I got onto using Google Maps for platform and station exit information when I was in China in 2017. If you think that Madrid is daunting, try Hangzhou!

Last time I spent about 10 days in Madrid before and after my Caminos and I purchased a travel card at the airport on arrival. Very easy at the airport. I got a ten day tourists concession that meant that I didn't have to even think about the actual fare costs and used the metro, busses and local trains extensively.

I find that Google Maps gives me great information including which entrance and exit to take and which platform to board and/or change lines.

I remember back in 2019 it seemed a bit daunting but the second time around and actually using the service daily meant that I quickly got used to it.

I got onto using Google Maps for platform and station exit information when I was in China in 2017. If you think that Madrid is daunting, try Hangzhou!
Like I said before, it's getting easier for me. But for someone just wanting to go to Charmartin on their first trip to Spain. It sucks. Heck, on my 15th trip to Spain it sucked.

"Arriving at Madrid Airport was even more intimidating than the flights, because of the huge crowds and LONG walks to get anywhere. It took half an hour to get through Passport Control, then an underground train shuttle to retrieve bags and then another really long trek to the bus station. I only had 2 hours before the bus departed for Burgos. The worst part of the nightmare was discovering that there was no ticket counter at the bus station. Everything had to be done online. I had no wi fi at this point. What to do? I was desperate. Two young Mexican girls came to my assistance and made the booking for me and I paid them cash. It was €31.5 for seniors. I rounded this up with a big tip for helping me out." This is what I wrote on my blog last April. I had flown in on Emirates from Perth. I wanted to catch the bus from T4 to Burgos (since the bus station in Burgos is in the town centre, while the train station is way out of town). I managed it, in spite of the hassle!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Shoot. I've had them for about half an hour. But always toss them after the immediate journey. I never know if i'm gonna be back in months or years.
The plastic metro card is reloadable. The little paper Renfe tickets you get for the Cercanias train are also reloadable.

As @DoughnutANZ says there is also a Madrid tourist card that you can load for 1 to 10 days that gets you on trains, buses, metro (everything but the Express bus to the airport.) That card reverts to a regular metro card when your days are finished. (I do think you can load it for the "tourist" thing up to 2 times and then it converts to a regular metro card.)

Save your metro cards though. They cost 2.5 euros even before you put the rides on . They are good for 10 years so if you accidently put 20 rides on one (like we did) you can use it every time you go back.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is a great YouTube video by Tony Galvez about the Madrid airport which gives great info about getting to Alsa bus from any terminal. It was really helpful to me. I arrived at 1100, and bus left at 1300-ish. I had time to get luggage, clear customs, and had at least an hour to spare!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Very helpful, thank you. Now arriving on a Saturday at 12:45, but Alsa bus is at 15:35, so more time, hopefully. And will heed advice to hurry to the remote bus terminal.

Sign up for the ALSA app; buy your tickets and if (more than an hour before departure of the bus) you’ve found yourself at the back of the crowd-scene from Ghandi at the airport; cancel them.

Anyone’s experience of a queue yesterday is totally irrelevant today.

Very helpful, thank you. Now arriving on a Saturday at 12:45, but Alsa bus is at 15:35, so more time, hopefully. And will heed advice to hurry to the remote bus terminal.
That looks much less rushed or uncertain. With the age groups you’re travelling with - I’d be much more comfortable with this timings; which allows for possible short delay or unknowns (even bathroom 😂 or coffee if you have spare time. ).

You’ll be later getting in to Ponferrada but hopefully sleep well. Will you enjoy the first day as a rest day ? And check out the castle & Ponferrada ? Or do you have to start walking to meet prearranged bookings ?

Buen camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That looks much less rushed or uncertain. With the age groups you’re travelling with - I’d be much more comfortable with this timings; which allows for possible short delay or unknowns (even bathroom 😂 or coffee if you have spare time. ).

You’ll be later getting in to Ponferrada but hopefully sleep well. Will you enjoy the first day as a rest day ? And check out the castle & Ponferrada ? Or do you have to start walking to meet prearranged bookings ?

Buen camino.
Thank you, OzAnnie... We agree, 3 hours should be enough to navigate T4S, T4, and Bus Terminal.
After 6 restful hours on the Alsa Supra bus, we're scheduled to arrive at 21:00 on Saturday in Ponferrada; only a short 0.8km walk (only Day Pack as luggage) to the booked hotel. Will walk a few km about Ponferrada on Sunday, and tour the Castle Templar and other sites. Fortunately we have two nights in Ponferrada, so we will enjoy the town further, and then taxi 80km to San Cristovo do Real to begin our Camino with a very easy, enjoyable hike, with Monastery tour and overnight in Samos. Should be two very easy days to recover yet enjoy Ponferrada and Samos before more challenging days.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back