• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tampons

Denice

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug 2023
Hi all!

Do you know if tampons are easy to find along the Camino in pharmacies?

Thanks,
Denice!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You'd fnd them at any corner shop, supermarket and what have you. They'll prob be quite expensive at the pharmacy, but they'll have them too.

Curious about the question? Are they hard to get in the US? That would be good to know.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi thanks for your response. No they are not hard to get in the US, just planning on what I will need. Thanks

I will add that finding the heavier absorbency sizes might be tougher to find. So if you need those I would bring some from home. I needed to buy some tampons along the way and the grocery store I went to only had one or two of the lighter sizes available. I remember thinking if I had needed something more than those I would have needed to get pads, for which they had a lot more options.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One other point - the tampons that are widely available in Spain are those without an applicator (like the o.b. brand in the US/Canada). Those are actually my preference, but I know some fellow peregrinas who have been freaked out when they realized it's hard to get the applicator/playtex style in Spain!

You can find tampons in grocery stores and farmacias. And unless something drastic has changed in the last 60 years, the sewage system can handle the refuse with no problem. In any given establishment I imagine there would be a sign posted if for some reason they don’t want tampons disposed of in that way. I’ve never seen such a notice though.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
One other point - the tampons that are widely available in Spain are those without an applicator (like the o.b. brand in the US/Canada). Those are actually my preference, but I know some fellow peregrinas who have been freaked out when they realized it's hard to get the applicator/playtex style in Spain!
I don't know where people are buying their tampons, but the ones with applicator are widely available.

Hi all!

Thanks,
Denice!
In pharmacies, supermarkets and 'droguerías/perfumerías'. A pharmacy would be my last choice, as their prices will be higher.

Yes. But just know - feminine hygiene products will be different wherever you go (in case you are someone who likes specific brands - you have to be flexible). I usually bring pads/tampons to Europe because I am picky about which products/brands I use. Thankfully that is no longer an issue for me on the Camino (or otherwise). Daughter is like me - she hated the products she bought in Europe.

Hi all!

Thanks,
Denice!
They are pretty easy to find, and in 2018 I had too many left over so I left a bunch in a first aid kit at the Albergue I was staying at. Now I use one of those reusable things. Saalt is a good company to check out. Even saves $$!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't know where people are buying their tampons, but the ones with applicator are widely available.

In pharmacies, supermarkets and 'droguerías/perfumerías'. A pharmacy would be my last choice, as their prices will be higher.
Weird! I never saw any. But then again, I don't like them so maybe I just never noticed! Thanks for the info.

You can find tampons in grocery stores and farmacias. And unless something drastic has changed in the last 60 years, the sewage system can handle the refuse with no problem. In any given establishment I imagine there would be a sign posted if for some reason they don’t want tampons disposed of in that way. I’ve never seen such a notice though.

Tampons should never be thrown in the toilet... The reason there are no signs is because it is regarded common knowledge. In Norway there is a saying to teach kids: only three things should go into the toilet, number one, nuber two and toilet paper.

I can't speak to availability but I have frequently been seeing signs at albergues about things they would prefer not going into the toilet and feminine hygiene products are often on the list.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all!

Thanks,
Denice!
I found that generally in Europe, you find either plain old Tampax, or OB or similar WITHOUT applicators. So if those aren't your preference, you may want to bring some.

Get thee a menstrual cup.
So much less hassle!
Unless you need to change on the trail and have no water supply. Using a pile of wipes rather defeats the purpose.
There are many people for whom such products do not work anyway (due to internal anatomy positioning).
I assume an adult person in search of menstrual products is aware of what she wants to use and would not want to begin experimenting with something new while on an unfamiliar trek.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Change on the trail, at your accommodations or cafe.
Chance of leaking, using a pad or period underwear.
Cleaning, by giving it a wipe with toilet paper and rinsing it later on at accommodations, and when showering.
I purposely trialed out the cup a few months before my first Camino.

A menstrual cup is seriously worth considering, for a minimal camino experience.

Get thee a menstrual cup.
So much less hassle!
Personally, I don't feel a menstrual cup is a good option.
Washing out blood in common area sinks concerns me.
Changing on the trail with unwashed hands concerns me. It's a good opportunity for an infection. Plus where would you pour out the blood? On the ground? Biohazard?
But that's me...

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back