• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Taramundi Knives and León

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
To avoid any transport issues I use carryon for my backpack thus I cannot carry a pocket knife with me flying to Spain. When doing caminos and outdoor activities I find it helpful having a knife that serves all kinds of functions in this capacity.

I am trying to figure out how to purchase a taramundi folding knife (a great knife with cultural significance to the region and fabulous keepsake to bring home at the end of my camino) to carry on my next camino beginning in May from León. Could I buy this knife from Canada online from one of their artisans in Taramundi and then have them send it to a safe address in León where I could collect it when I get there? Any thoughts, advice? Any “safe” locations in León that would receive and hold this until my arrival?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I bought one in the open air market in SDC. I It's a knife I want to take care of because the finish is so beautiful. My copy has the leaf pattern and red band. if you find a suitable place in Leon to ship to you could buy directly from the manufacturer and have them ship it. Here's link to the firm that made my knife: https://www.cuchilleriataramundi.com/en/

Just be aware that, should your subsequent visit to Spain involve a train ride at any time, you may have challenges carrying a knife on the train. After my 2016 Camino with my teenage son, we travelled around Spain for a while, including a visit to Toledo. I talked down from buying a sword to buying a knife. It was fine taking it on the bus to Valencia. But when we tried to get on the train back to Madrid to catch our plane, it was confiscated. We could have kept it, had we been ready to not get on the train and miss our flight back home. It was heartbreaking to lose it, since it was the main keepsake he had purchased with his own money.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I carry a 3 inch blade Opinal folding knife on every Camino. (Inox, stainless steel). They are made in France but sold in every fereteria in Spain for less than 10 euros. I have a light suitcase for checked baggage -- trekking pole, umbrella, knife, "city clothes". I have carried an Opinal on many trains in Spain, no problema. At the end of our last Camino, in March, my daughter took my Opinal on the train north from Madrid and into France. It is now in some drawer in a French train security checkpoint. It was in her backpack. Last fall I had it in my backpack from Paris to Pau, and from St. Jean back to Paris. No problema. Probably I just look too old to be considered a knife-wielding terrorist. Bon Chemin

I carry a 3 inch blade Opinal folding knife on every Camino. (Inox, stainless steel). They are made in France but sold in every fereteria in Spain for less than 10 euros. I have a light suitcase for checked baggage -- trekking pole, umbrella, knife, "city clothes". I have carried an Opinal on many trains in Spain, no problema. At the end of our last Camino, in March, my daughter took my Opinal on the train north from Madrid and into France. It is now in some drawer in a French train security checkpoint. It was in her backpack. Last fall I had it in my backpack from Paris to Pau, and from St. Jean back to Paris. No problema. Probably I just look too old to be considered a knife-wielding terrorist. Bon Chemin
It’s the ‘3 inch’ that’s the issue. Drop down a size to 60mm and you, and family members, will be fine.

Just be aware that, should your subsequent visit to Spain involve a train ride at any time, you may have challenges carrying a knife on the train. After my 2016 Camino with my teenage son, we travelled around Spain for a while, including a visit to Toledo. I talked down from buying a sword to buying a knife. It was fine taking it on the bus to Valencia. But when we tried to get on the train back to Madrid to catch our plane, it was confiscated. We could have kept it, had we been ready to not get on the train and miss our flight back home. It was heartbreaking to lose it, since it was the main keepsake he had purchased with his own money.
The exception to the 60mm rule is anything with a receipt showing it was purchased that day. You can take your sword (or similar) straight home; but not tour Spain with it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A good heads up and reminder. In 2022 I travelled by train in Spain and my folding knife was not a problem.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

First time posting Live? Left León at 8am. Arrived at Cabanillas 2. The path is very beautiful. 20km total. Followed the River. At first town we went to the lovely Bar and Tienda. I bought cheese...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back