• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tarte de Santiago

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
One of the most lovely discoveries on the Camino MAY be the Tarte de Santiago however far too often it is a tasteless lump of dough with a sugared cross on the top offered with your coffee or as desert. At its finest this cake can taste like marzipan. Shall we open a thread concerned with cake? Sure!

Tarte de Santiago

225 grams peeled blanched almonds
200 grams sugar
25-50 grams vanilla sugar
5 eggs
Zest from 1 lemon
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons self rising flour
Powdered sugar
Stencil of Santiago cross/sword downloaded from internet
2 tablespoons powdered sugar

Preheat oven 180 degrees. Beat eggs at least five minutes adding a spoonful of the sugars from time to time, should form a ribbon dripping from the beaters after 5 minutes. Add self rising flour and beat another minute. Grind the almonds fine in a food processer and add to mixture. Stir in lemon zest and cinnamon until well mixed. Pour into cake pan 24 centimeters. Bake in pre-heated oven 180 degrees 45 minutes. Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before attempting to remove. When cool place stencil in center of cake hold in place with toothpicks into cake on the edges of the cross to hold straight and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Should be crispy on the crust and soft inside but not too thick. Non-traditionalists may add a tablespoon of rum or amaretto likewise a thin layer of chocolate may grace the top however this is not the classic Tarte de Santiago!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for posting this recipe ! I am allergic to almonds and probably would have tried this, not realizing they were in it. I love anything sweet, but am careful when I am away in a foreign country, because like this recipe, nuts can be ground up and added, so not noticeable.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a rigid, washable St. James Cross template for decorating a Tarta de Santiago? We've made the cake from a recipe found through the forum. It was wonderful!

However, and as many of you may have already found, the most difficult part of the entire experience is cutting out the paper template that comes with the printed recipes. So, I am hoping there is an easier way.

I will finish my next Camino at the end of May at Santiago. Does anyone know if and where in Santiago de Compostela one might find a plastic, aluminum, or tin template? It does seem rather logical that someone would be making and selling them.

I told my mom I would bring her back a template. Cutting out the paper design is beyond her dexterity. Also, the woodworking needed to produce on locally is not an option. So, I am going to scour the Camino Frances for said template.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a rigid, washable St. James Cross template for decorating a Tarta de Santiago? We've made the cake from a recipe found through the forum. It was wonderful!

However, and as many of you may have already found, the most difficult part of the entire experience is cutting out the paper template that comes with the printed recipes. So, I am hoping there is an easier way.

I will finish my next Camino at the end of May at Santiago. Does anyone know if and where in Santiago de Compostela one might find a plastic, aluminum, or tin template? It does seem rather logical that someone would be making and selling them.

I told my mom I would bring her back a template. Cutting out the paper design is beyond her dexterity. Also, the woodworking needed to produce on locally is not an option. So, I am going to scour the Camino Frances for said template.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Yes I bought a set of three in a general gift shop in the old part of town down one of the streets south of the Cathedral ( metal ).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One of the most lovely discoveries on the Camino MAY be the Tarte de Santiago however far too often it is a tasteless lump of dough with a sugared cross on the top offered with your coffee or as desert.
Thank you for the recipe of this delightful tart, which has been corrupted ad nauseam along the Camino.;)

Thank you for the recipe of this delightful tart, which has been corrupted ad nauseam along the Camino.;)

Having sampled many of the Tarta de Santiago offerings along the Camino Frances, and then having had the REAL THING prepared by the best cook in the world - my mother - I think I know the reason for Fraluchi's comment.

I think, and this is my opinion based on repeated and frequent observation and "field tests," that many places replaced the authentic recipe with a simple yellow cake mix, flavored with almond extract.

To the pilgrims and tourists, as long as the top is browned (done with egg white brushed on) and has the St. James Cross shape dusted with confectionary sugar, they think they are having authentic Tarta de Santiago. In any event, I am partial to anything baked.;) So, I liked any and all versions I had. No harm was done... :)

It was not until I obtained this recipe via the forum, and asked mom to make it, did I fully appreciate the difference. See this link: http://www.thevintagemixer.com/2013/03/tarta-de-santiago-recipe-a-spanish-almond-cake-from-spain/

I know that everyone has an option on what the PERFECT Tarta de Santiago would be. But to me, this seems the best. I know it must be good, because my mother, who has been baking all manner of things for 70 years says so..PERIOD. :D

That is why she asked me to find a template for the Cross if possible. She wants to include it in her library of favorite recipes.

I hope this helps someone...:)

Yes I bought a set of three in a general gift shop in the old part of town down one of the streets south of the Cathedral ( metal ).

Thank you very much for the lead on finding the Santiago Cross template.

You don't happen to recall the street the shop was on do you?

Also, was it like a tourist gift shop / souvenir shop OR was it a general merchandise oriental Bazaar type of shop?

Thanks again.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Also, was it like a tourist gift shop / souvenir shop OR was it a general merchandise oriental Bazaar type of shop?

Thanks again.

Hi andreo,

I'm sure it was the latter quite a way down from the Cathedral on your right hand side.................Rua do Franco, Rua do Vilar or Rua Nova.
Although I bed to disagree with Anniesantiago....................You can't beat a good piece of tarte or even tart................Happy hunting.

Hi andreo,

I'm sure it was the latter quite a way down from the Cathedral on your right hand side.................Rua do Franco, Rua do Vilar or Rua Nova.
Although I bed to disagree with Anniesantiago....................You can't beat a good piece of tarte or even tart................Happy hunting.

Personally, in 60 plus years, I never met a baked dessert I did NOT like.:eek: I suppose that is my cross to bear... ;)

So, I will hunt-and-peck in every touristy gift shop starting from the Cathedral on Rua do Vilar, Rua do Franco, and parallel streets - to the extent that any two roads can possibly be parallel in Santiago.

Thank you again for the general area. ;)

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
[...]I will hunt-and-peck in every touristy gift shop starting from the Cathedral on Rua do Vilar, Rua do Franco, and parallel streets [...]
There is a tiny place, not far from the Praterías, which offers freshly baked "tarta". Walk to the end of Rua do Vilar, keep turning left (past the supermarket) and into the beginning of Rua Nova. A small, family run, bread and confectionary shop on the left.:)

Strangely I made Tarte de Santiago years ago, long before I'd even considered walking the Camino. Never even made the connection and promptly forgot about it until I started walking in 2012.

There is an interesting discussion in one of Claudia Roden's books where she theorises that it might actually have been an old Jewish recipe that survived the diaspora.

Thanks again.

There is a cookwares shop on Rua das Orfas which had them. They sold pots, pans, knives, etc., and had a selection of stainless steel St James crosses in the window. If I recall right it was on the left hand side, near the bottom (Plaza Galicia end) assuming you were facing north. This was a couple of years ago so who knows if it is still there with the Spanish economy as it is.

The shop that StuartM mentions was still there this past November. They had the set of St James Crosses in MendiWalker's link. Definitely easier (and less lopsided!) than the paper stencils I used to cut out!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
T2andreo,
You don't have to schlep into every two-bit tourist shop in old Santiago. As StuartM rightly pointed out, the Cruz de Santiago templates are in a housewares shop and I only remember seeing two such shops (I first saw the templates in the window when the shop was closed).

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back