• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Camino is calling....

Jean & Claude

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 CF & Fisterra, 2018 VdlP, 2023 CP, 2024 VdiF
My husband and I did our first Camino, Frances in Jun/Jul 2016, including Fisterra and Muxía ... and are hooked.
We are planning our second Camino for May/June 2018 and, while I would like to do Frances again (which we will), I am seriously considering 3 options: Camino Norté, Le Puy Route (but will I be content to stop in SJPP?) or the Via Francigena (from San Bernard Pass). My husband will go along with whatever I plan....
Any advice or words of wisdom.... Thank you

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
How many weeks do you have, JC? Firstly, you have the perfect traveling companion who will go along with whatever your plan!
Secondly, if you have the time and desire, why not continue on from SJPP (if you began in Le Puy en Velay?). May/June is indeed a magnificent time to walk with fields of spring flowers...

Thank you for your replies.... no, not looking for shorter than CF, I think I am looking for preferences on the Camino itself.... as I am in the planning stages. We have all the time in the world, being retired and really time is not an option. I would love to continue on from SJPP, but that's where my travelling partner and I differ... (some day I/we will do it again) so, we are looking at 800 - 900 kms. (5-6weeks). As doing the CF only, am I nieve to be looking for the same feelings, same experiences .....so I think what I am looking for is opinions on those of experience..... thank you.

Norte or Le Puy. Equally beautiful, but no road walking (or very little) on the Le Puy. But the Norte finishes in Santiago. And I do love the last part of the Norte, in Galicia.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Le Puy route with the Célé variant

If you want a different experience, you must walk a different road. The Le Puy route is quite different from the Frances. Also, you could start further east, in Switzerland or Germany. Or further north, in Amsterdam or Cologne. Marked routes to Santiago cover the entirety of Europe like a spiderweb, and the world is your oyster! (NB: This post is an entry in the "How Many Metaphors can You Mix?" contest . :) )

Thank you all.... I follow the 'forum' regularly and you inspire me.... I will ponder over this over the winter and something will 'tell' me which road I (we) are supposed to take next.... Hugs and buen Camino to you all!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you want a different experience, you must walk a different road.
I don't think that's entirely true. I just completed my second Camino Frances, and while the geography was the same the experience was different. Firstly, while I came to Spain alone last year, this time a friend joined me on the Camino for the first ten days. I was so excited to share the Camino that I love with a friend.
I walked during a slightly different season - July/August as opposed to August/September, which meant that I was able to enjoy field upon field of sunflowers in full bloom whose season I had just missed last year. I also mostly stayed in different towns than on my first Camino and was able to discover the delights of Viana, Santo Domingo de la Calzada and others. But most importantly, I made many new friends, who helped shape my Camino experience.
That said, I'm ready for a new path next year, abd I think that it will be the Norte.

Well, after much pondering (and research) our flights are booked! We will be walking the Via de la Plata/ Camino Sanabrés starting from Seville April 20, 2018. I have already started in my mind, now let’s get walking .... Thank you all for your input - I do enjoy this forum ....

Well, after much pondering (and research) our flights are booked! We will be walking the Via de la Plata/ Camino Sanabrés starting from Seville April 20, 2018. I have already started in my mind, now let’s get walking .... Thank you all for your input - I do enjoy this forum ....
Hello, I just read through this thread and noticed your original question was asking for advise/opinions on walking either the Norte, LePuy or Via Francigena. You have now posted that after your research you are planning to walk the Via de la Plata. I am curious about this route myself and would appreciate hearing why you have "changed direction" so to speak.
I haved walked the Frances twice, the Norte/Primitivo, and will walk the LePuy this coming June, so will be contemplating a different route for 2019.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Glad you made a decision :cool: Exciting, now the fun starts!
I notice no-one said a word about the Via Francigena (from GdSt Bernard)... It's a wonderful walk. Much harder (imo) than the camino francés - more mountains, more mosquitoes for instance - but well worth it. Altogether a different experience but of course it isn't Spain!
I'm pondering myself whether to to it again or choose a new (to me) Camino, like the Vezelay route.
Decisions decisions ;)

@domigee, several people who have done the Via Francigena mention mosquitos, making me shy away from considering this walk in the future. What month did you walk?

@ Camino Chris.... good question! Well .... I wanted to do something long ... and when I do walk the Le Puy Route (which I will), I want to keep going and redo the CF. At this point my husband says there are too many routes too do the same one twice in a row. I would do the CF again in a minute - and I willI someday..... The VDLP sounds challenging (mentally/physically) and a completely different experience than the CF, so I think that was the biggest reason. I would like to keep the Via Francegina for my 60th in 2020... and keeping del Norte for another time.... If it was up to me, I would be going back enery year....maybe more... Make sense?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@domigee, several people who have done the Via Francigena mention mosquitos, making me shy away from considering this walk in the future. What month did you walk?
I walked in July/August. The mosquitoes are in the area of the rice fields (around Vercelli) and it takes five or six days to walk through it. I used mosquito repellent but there are so numerous you can't even stop for a minute....
It hasn't put me off though... (Yes, I am that stupid! ;))

Sounds like part of the challenge! I’m hoping to do the Via Francigena in three years once I get a few more caminos under my belt.

My husband and I did our first Camino, Frances in Jun/Jul 2016, including Fisterra and Muxía ... and are hooked.
We are planning our second Camino for May/June 2018 and, while I would like to do Frances again (which we will), I am seriously considering 3 options: Camino Norté, Le Puy Route (but will I be content to stop in SJPP?) or the Via Francigena (from San Bernard Pass). My husband will go along with whatever I plan....
Any advice or words of wisdom.... Thank you

I'm not sure where you live, but if it's in Europe you really should consider walking from home, or even more ideally from your home parish.

If time is in the most absolute sense not a problem, then you could of course do the same from wherever it is you live -- grab a cargo ship for whichever surface water crossings -- else, why not walk to whichever airport you take off from and walk from whichever airport you land in ?

Whether you know well or ill the broader area around your home hiking-wise, the slow transition from the familiar to the strange and into the unknown of the Camino remains an unknown for most pilgrims, which IMO is sad.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you all for your input into my musings.... as it ended up, we started our Via de la Plata from Seville April 21, walking via the Camino Sanabres and arrived in Santiago May 23. It was a tough walk (mostly because I struggled with a plantar fasciitis issue most of the way), but so well worth every kilometre, especially completing it with my partner in life... Now, once my foot heals completely ... on to planning our next Camino.... It really never ends, does it ....

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back