• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Camino is well signposted but are the Albergues?

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018, (2019)
Hola todo el mundo (no pretention, just practicing).

My understanding is that the Camino is well signposted which makes it hard to get lost. I am less sure about how well signposted the Albergues are when you enter medium abnd larger sized towns. I know there are lists of albergues but would I be advised to research addresses before I go?

Muchas gracias.

SheffieldJames

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
At one time the yellow arrows took you to the albergue in town as a matter of regional policy. As new albergues were opened, the competition could get nasty with contradictory sets of arrows. So today, there is no uniformity. In most cases the yellow arrows will take you to the principal or municipal albergue, and signs will direct you to other options. In villages it will be hard to get lost, but having an address in towns and cities will be useful. The Brierley guide gives good information in almost all cases.

Thanks falcon269. I am trying to take your advice to let the Camino control me but it may take just a little while longer to show up in my posts. I am aware of the Brierely book and may try to get it thru the library as I have already invested in the Alison Raju (Ciccero) and Village to Village guide by SJ Raza (2nd edition). I like the first - compact and authorative - but not the second - dated to the extent it still talks about costs in pesetas.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
James, you do not need to belong the Confraternity of St James, London, to obtain their guide to the Camino Francés 2013. It is considerably lighter than Brierley and tells you all you need to know about accomodation, including telephone numbers. It also clearly lists the municipals. It is printed annually and was revised in November 2012. http://www.csj.org.uk

It is the only guide book I carry. It is worth its weight in gold IMHO.

In the past I have thrown away the pages which are no longer relevent. Or you can write on the pages and post them home if you want them to help write up your story after the Camino.

Parts of Alisons book is now well out of date as improvemnets to the Camino have continually been made since the book was published.

Methodist Pilgrim 98, I suppose any printed publication is out of date not longer after it hits the bookstands, but if the CSF guide is updated annually then it should be quite current and worth a look. Thanks for the link...with helpful support like I've been getting on this forum to so far, I have to resist the temptation to go further and ask will someone care to walk the 500 miles for me. Only joking, although I've read that this did occur in medieval times.

and ask will someone care to walk the 500 miles for me. Only joking, although I've read that this did occur in medieval times.

true and if you have a spare £700 I'm up for it. :wink:

Brierley updates yearly but a library copy is likely to be older. Go for the CSJ guide and look at what else CSJ offers. I have belonged since 1997.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I too am a big fan of the guide from the Confraternity of St. James in the UK. I ordered a copy to be sent to Nova Scotia, Canada with no problem. It has just enough info for you to feel comfortable but not enough to ruin the surprise around the corner. I was able to note which establishments I stayed in and had a nice record of my trip to complement my journals. Buen Camino!!

I also have the CSJ guide. I ordered it online. CSJ posted it from London on March 27th, and it arrived in Prescott, Arizona in the USA on April 5th. It has a weather-resistant cover :lol: Julie

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back