• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Camino provides

Time of past OR future Camino
please see signature
I am sure we have all read the expression "The Camino provides".

And it is not only in Spain (Europe) that this happens.

The situation:
When I walk I wear a good imitation of a kilt.
A week ago I started a 80 km two to three day walk. Just to keep in practice for 2023.
The first 30 km passed through 3 small towns, with copious cafe to be passed as well.
The next 30 km followed a rail trail that went up, through and down the other side of a hilly (mountain) range: no cafe to be had and so no grazing at meal times.
The last 20 km was to the suburban rail head and so back home.

At the approach to the second village, an equally old gentleman stood before me and started talking with a soft accent from Scotland. He explained he and his wife had seen me an hour or so before and he had some supplies: Dundee Shortbread, Chocolate coated wafer (both from Scotland), some scroggin and some chilled water. We talked about how we each came to be in this part of the world (almost as far from Scotland as you can get and be of firm land). I accepted graciously while privately wondering how to use this great gift.

At the end of the first 30 km was was one long bridge without a footpath or shoulder to walk on. And I had times myself to be at the bus stop in time for a schedule service. On the approach I see the scheduled service has been cancelled and it is 3 hour wait for the next one. While I was testing which thumb to use, a ute stopped and offered me a ride. Not just over the bridge and to the third village but another 10 km to the start of the rail trail. Thus no cafe, no coffee and no meal for the day.

That night, my meal for the day, at the top of the rail trail (only 350 metres above sea level), was Dundee Shortbread, Wafer biscuits and scroggin.

The Camino does indeed provide, even when it is not in Spain.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going as you can)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Scroggin

UrbanDictionary says:
"Sultanas, Chocolate, Raisins and Other Goody-Goodies Including Nuts.
Nuts provide sustainability and protein, the dried fruit provide carbohydrates and the chocolate and other goody-goodies are there for that quick pick-me up when you need the energy to climb a hill."

JacksonOrchard lists the mix they sell locally, as:
"Peanuts, raisins, dried papaya, dried mango, yogurt raisins, choc drops, dried banana, dried coconut & sunflower seed"

One of the our daily rags (NZ Herald) offer this recipe:
"Scroggin mix is great for a snack on the go. The combination of nuts and dried fruit is delicious and this recipe is quick and easy to assemble. Perfect for school lunches or afternoon snacks.

1 cupMixed nuts, such as cashews, pecans, brazil nuts (Main)
½ cupAlmonds
1 cupSunflower seeds
1 cupPretzel, bows (Main)
½ cupRaisins, yoghurt-coated
½ cupDried cranberries, sweetened
½ cupBanana chips
1 cupChocolate bits
  1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C.
  2. Place nuts and almonds in a roasting dish and cook for 10 minutes, stirring halfway.
  3. Add sunflower seeds and continue to cook a further 3 to 5 minutes until nuts are golden.
  4. Set aside and allow to cool.
  5. Once nuts are completely cold, add remaining ingredients.
  6. Store in an airtight container."

In my experience, there are two generic problems with Scroggin:
a) It is very moreish 🤤 1 kg wont last long 😲
b) One days supply is very heavy.

So, to carry enough for 800 km, you have to throw everything else out of your pack

The situation:
A week ago I started a 80 km two to three day walk. Just to keep in practice for 2023.
The first 30 km passed through 3 small towns, with copious cafe to be passed as well.
The next 30 km followed a rail trail that went up, through and down the other side of a hilly (mountain) range: no cafe to be had and so no grazing at meal times.

At the approach to the second village, an equally old gentleman stood before me and started talking with a soft accent from Scotland. He explained he and his wife had seen me an hour or so before and he had some supplies: Dundee Shortbread, Chocolate coated wafer (both from Scotland), some scroggin and some chilled water. We talked about how we each came to be in this part of the world (almost as far from Scotland as you can get and be of firm land). I accepted graciously while privately wondering how to use this great gift.

At the end of the first 30 km was was one long bridge without a footpath or shoulder to walk on. And I had times myself to be at the bus stop in time for a schedule service. On the approach I see the scheduled service has been cancelled and it is 3 hour wait for the next one. While I was testing which thumb to use, a ute stopped and offered me a ride. Not just over the bridge and to the third village but another 10 km to the start of the rail trail. Thus no cafe, no coffee and no meal for the day.

That night, my meal for the day, at the top of the rail trail (only 350 metres above sea level), was Dundee Shortbread, Wafer biscuits and scroggin.

Thank you for the beautiful story. Made me feel like I was there....both Scotland and Camino.

ute

Wikipedia says"
"an abbreviation for "utility" or "coupé utility", is a term used in Australia and New Zealand to describe vehicles with a tonneau behind the passenger compartment, that can be driven with a regular driver's license." and "would be called a pickup truck in other countries"

The ute I got a ride in last week had a passenger compartment (cab) with a front seats for driver and one passenger (with space between for a small office) and a second row with seating for three passengers.

Dogs seem to love utes. It is not uncommon to see them standing on the drivers side of the tray and looking ahead along the side of the cab. This is so they can assist the driver with anything they might have missed.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

The situation:

Scroggin

UrbanDictionary says:
"Sultanas, Chocolate, Raisins and Other Goody-Goodies Including Nuts.
Nuts provide sustainability and protein, the dried fruit provide carbohydrates and the chocolate and other goody-goodies are there for that quick pick-me up when you need the energy to climb a hill."

JacksonOrchard lists the mix they sell locally, as:
"Peanuts, raisins, dried papaya, dried mango, yogurt raisins, choc drops, dried banana, dried coconut & sunflower seed"

One of the our daily rags (NZ Herald) offer this recipe:
"Scroggin mix is great for a snack on the go. The combination of nuts and dried fruit is delicious and this recipe is quick and easy to assemble. Perfect for school lunches or afternoon snacks.

1 cupMixed nuts, such as cashews, pecans, brazil nuts (Main)
½ cupAlmonds
1 cupSunflower seeds
1 cupPretzel, bows (Main)
½ cupRaisins, yoghurt-coated
½ cupDried cranberries, sweetened
½ cupBanana chips
1 cupChocolate bits
  1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C.
  2. Place nuts and almonds in a roasting dish and cook for 10 minutes, stirring halfway.
  3. Add sunflower seeds and continue to cook a further 3 to 5 minutes until nuts are golden.
  4. Set aside and allow to cool.
  5. Once nuts are completely cold, add remaining ingredients.
  6. Store in an airtight container."

In my experience, there are two generic problems with Scroggin:
a) It is very moreish 🤤 1 kg wont last long 😲
b) One days supply is very heavy.

So, to carry enough for 800 km, you have to throw everything else out of your pack
Here in the PNW, we call it 'trail mix'. 😀 Loved your story!

The situation:

Yes, the camino provides in strange ways and off camino places...
In St James' church in Dublin last Saturday there was a very lovely gathering for volunteers and friends to listen to Sister Katherine and volunteers in the Pilgrim welcome centre upstairs from the Pilgrim office in Santiago. Room 6. Anyone is welcome, you will get space to share if you need/want after your camino, but first, and always, a cup of lovely Irish tea!
The Dublin information centre organised for sandwiches and tea/coffee and superb scones. While everyone had their fill, there was a lot left over. I learned a short while ago that a family who had arranged a memorial mass that evening for their parents were delighted to be offered the leftovers, and they set off home with everything, to the home of their parents for a final gathering there before the house is sold.
Win win. No wasted food, and a simple acceptance of unexpected food offerings.
Here is the website for the welcome centre in Santiago, there are various rooms according to language spoken.
https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/welcome-program-in-several-languages/

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Or do you prefer Cromwell's attitude? Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry. I am starting to get tired of the attitude that it isn't necessary to take reasonable care and thought...
I struggle with social anxiety and I was wandering if anybody with the same issue had a positive experience on the Camino walking alone. I saw lots of posts and videos people talking about forming...
I am currently walking the Camino Frances with my parents and am enjoying every moment. I brought some euros with me and loaded money onto a cash passport as I thought this would be safe...
Hello, I have reserved a night in an Albergue and the confirmation says Fecha de entrada: 2024-06-05. In the UK we would write this as 05-06-2024, is that what this means, 5th June 2024, I am...
I can see where this will help in the eternal search for an open alberque. These "pilgrims" will by-pass many towns and communities during their "walk" leaving many alberques available for...
I'm always a little apprehensive about posting anything approaching humour on this Forum, for fear of upsetting someone. But here goes . . . I heard this a few years ago, and it made me smile...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.