• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Crossway by Guy Stagg on BBC Radio

timr

Time of past OR future Camino
Several and counting...
Guy Stagg's book, The Crossway, was published in June 2018. I read it as I was walking the VF myself, having set out on April 1st. He walks from London to Jerusalem.

It is not (in any way) a guide to how to do this. It is a personal account of his own inner journey as much as of his outer journey.

It was broadcast as a book of the week about that time on BBC domestic radio.

It is being re-broadcast this week on BBC R4 Extra which should be freely available worldwide on BBC Sounds. There are only five episodes and I would point out they are extremely abridged. But if you listen to it you would certainly be able to decide whether you wished to read the book (perhaps again).

The remaining three episodes will 'drop' on the remaining days of this week but thereafter they will, I imagine, be available indefinitely.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Tim! I remember hearing the original broadcasts and then finding the book at the time. I downloaded and listened to the complete audiobook again just a couple of weeks ago. It is a very engaging account of an extraordinary journey.
I agree - I enjoyed it enormously at the time of reading. I was 'ahead' of the book for the first part and caught up with him again the following year (in real life, virtually) in Albania and onwards. I intend still (!) to catch up with him again although I would hope my arrival in Istanbul would not be as eventful! :eek:

Listening to it again certainly makes me want to read it again. I am happy to see I still have it on Kindle.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've never been a Camino memoirs reader and luckily did my first Camino Francés before The Way came out but after listening to an interview with Stagg a few years back, I immediately bought his book. I wasn't disappointed. As Tim mentions, it's more about his inner journey (and conflicts) than anything else.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Sorry @timr I'm going to hijack this thread for a moment. Have you read any books by Robert MacFarlane? I just read a book review of The Old Ways (the Dutch translation just came out) and it sounds interesting. Just curious.
Yes! Someone gave me Landmarks a long time ago. It is quite a lot about language - it would be interesting to see how it translated. But after all although it is in English it is talking about dialect words (for landscape features etc) which would be new to most English-speaking people.

He talks about it here:

The Old Ways is the most well known I think. Very beautiful descriptions of walking in the countryside, but very thoughtful, not just describing the scenery. Language is still a feature, and he has a fascination with words.

Then there was Underland. I bought it but have not finished it. They are books to read slowly and dip into.

He is here in this programme also on BBC - climbing and talking.

He writes a bit about other writers on landscape too.

I have enjoyed his writing and enthusiasm.

Guy Stagg's book, The Crossway, was published in June 2018. I read it as I was walking the VF myself, having set out on April 1st. He walks from London to Jerusalem.

It is not (in any way) a guide to how to do this. It is a personal account of his own inner journey as much as of his outer journey.

It was broadcast as a book of the week about that time on BBC domestic radio.

It is being re-broadcast this week on BBC R4 Extra which should be freely available worldwide on BBC Sounds. There are only five episodes and I would point out they are extremely abridged. But if you listen to it you would certainly be able to decide whether you wished to read the book (perhaps again).

The remaining three episodes will 'drop' on the remaining days of this week but thereafter they will, I imagine, be available indefinitely.
Thanks, Tim

Sorry @timr I'm going to hijack this thread for a moment. Have you read any books by Robert MacFarlane? I just read a book review of The Old Ways (the Dutch translation just came out) and it sounds interesting. Just curious.

I read Old Ways in the original version and although the language was sometimes difficult for me I managed. So very easy for you!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I read most of The Crossway and, unfortunately, found it a bit plodding. I didn't get much of a feel for the locations, which is the main reason I seek out travel literature.

I also read The Old Ways and, although beautifully written, I found it wanting in terms of dynamics. I felt it a bit dry and distant. Perhaps pilgrimage books tend to focus too much on the inner renderings of what we usually see as mundane for my tastes.

I read most of The Crossway and, unfortunately, found it a bit plodding. I didn't get much of a feel for the locations, which is the main reason I seek out travel literature.
And maybe that's why I don't read "travel literature" or Camino memoires. I prefer to see and experience it all through my own eyes.

I guess what fascinates me (for want of a better term) is the human condition. We are all so different but yet share the same needs, wants, struggles and hardships. The Camino de Santiago, or VF in the case of The Crossway, is just a backdrop. The real work takes place inside.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back