• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sellos on the Francigena

J.Patrick

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto 2015.
Northern 2017
Francigena Oct 2023
On the Caminos I’ve done I’ve loved the whole process of getting stamps / sellos, marking the places, the passage of time, the walking of miles. I’ve felt at home with it and have made a shrine of them at home.

is there a culture of sellos / stamps on the Francigena? Will anyone know what I’m talking about when I ask for a stamp? Is the correct word foca in Italian (from Google translate)?

What has been your experience with this whole process on the Francigena?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Our experience a few months ago from UK to the Italian border was that there is a very different situation regarding stamps on the Via Francigena compared to the Camino de Santiago routes. It was very rare, certainly on the section through France and Switzerland, to find churches or even cathedrals with stamps. We mainly got them from tourist offices and occasionally from accommodation, although even hotels or gite quite often didn't seem to have them readily available. Perhaps others had a different experience however.

On the Caminos I’ve done I’ve loved the whole process of getting stamps / sellos, marking the places, the passage of time, the walking of miles. I’ve felt at home with it and have made a shrine of them at home.

is there a culture of sellos / stamps on the Francigena? Will anyone know what I’m talking about when I ask for a stamp? Is the correct word foca in Italian (from Google translate)?

Yes there is a passport book on the Frangenia. I have a full one from Florence to Rome. Enjoy.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When I walked from Canterbury to Brienne-le-Château I usually was able to get my stamps at the Tourism Office. But occasionally I had to go farther afield, asking at businesses (a winery, for example) and, once, an elementary school,

In Italian timbro; in French tampon. The stamps are more easy to come by in Italy, but the French are waking up to it as well. Also you can get one at the churches between Canterbury and Dover.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Hello.
This year I have walked from Canterbury to Guines when an accident caused me to have to return home to England. I collected stamps in my credential all along the way. The check in desk at P&O ferries in Dover and both UK and French customs also were happy to stamp credentials.

Foca I believe means seal which actually seems a better translation that stamp.

Finally I suggest this link may be of use to you.

Buen Camino

Vince

My husband and I walked the Francigena between Pavia (near Milan) to Sienna in 2017. Here is a photo of some of the sellos from that walk.PXL_20230818_161627286.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We often got stamps from the police stations in a town. They knew what we were asking for and were quite happy to oblige. In fact, we were sometimes directed there to get the stamp.
Ditto at the mayor's offices/town halls

Just finished the Francigene from Aosta, never had a problem getting a stamp. All accomodation have a stamp, tourist offices like wise, most businesses will give you their business stamp if you ask politely and show them your credential. 🙏

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,

At the door of the Cathedral (Duomo) in Lucca (where you have to pay, as for many major churches in Italy) :
"- Got a reduced rate for pilgrims?
- No, but I can give you a stamp.
- OK..."

Through France Sellos were somewhat difficult to locate, but through Switzerland and Italy they were available everywhere.

Enjoy !

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl
Can't get into the official Via Francigena site. I've used it for years, but today all I get when I try to enter it is 'File not found". For example, if I enter...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.