• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The culture has changed...sadly

Hi Artic-Alex
I couldn't agree more. I had the same conversation with 2 pilgrims from Austria (not related) I walked with for many days.
They are like a new fashion accessory whilst I was covered in bruises, cuts and beard hadn't seen a trim in over 5 weeks so I looked pretty wild ha ha I also noticed they walked in packs and more or less took over anywhere they stopped and god forbid if you ended up in the same Albergue as them.
This was my 5th and last Camino walking the Frances route, I have felt the changes during the past 8 years some good some not so good, but what has changed more is myself. I lost the excitement I first had back in 2015 setting off for the first time, which lived with me until this year and I knew I wouldn't be walking the Camino Frances again.
Next year I am getting married so it's not possible but god willing I am still healthy enough I'm planning on walking the Camino Via de La PLata in 2025, now I'm excited again. Buen Camino Keith
Bruises and cuts? I've walked the Frances six times and never got covered in bruises and cuts. Did you walk off the path? :D
I probably look like a fashion accessory Sarria pilgrim when I get to Santiago even though I start in SJPdP. I shave almost everyday. If I don't shave my head I get haircuts when I can. Wash my backpack and shoes every chance I get when there's a sunny day that they will dry. I machine launder my clothes every chance I get.
Anyway, yeah the Frances is more popular and there's more tourist pilgrims who can be irritating at times, but its still what you make of it so I return to it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Exactly, there is so much more than the Francés :cool:

I myself originally planned for the VdlP 2024, but I have to cancel that due to preparing a move ... and so I might do it the year after. So maybe see you then :)
A wonderful Camino is the Portugese interior which I believe joins the Vdlp. Very quiet, genuine walkers and lots of interesting towns. We went last October and had some great days walking in but sunshine and heavy rain. Equally as nice.

Attachments

• 20221015_173801.jpg
    20221015_173801.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 20221013_100432.jpg
    20221013_100432.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 9
  • 20221015_074149.jpg
    20221015_074149.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 20221015_141759.jpg
    20221015_141759.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20221018_093300.jpg
    20221018_093300.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 20221018_090623.jpg
    20221018_090623.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 20221018_131324.jpg
    20221018_131324.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 7

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back