• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How has the Camino changed you.

mlhhome

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (X3), VDLP, Madrid ‘12-‘22
Greetings,
My apologies to the Moderators if this a duplicate thread…searching through >60,000 questions isn’t an exact science….
please modify as needed.

I have noticed since my Camino experiences (6X), I have developed some new routines, habits and perspective. For example, I quietly slip out of my bed, make coffee and eat my first breakfast (banana) in the complete dark on my tiptoes desperately trying to be completely silent. This is a learned behavior from my pre-dawn routine on the Camino. I have many others (all good), but before I ramble too much; I would like to learned about yours.

Thanks

Mike

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For example, I quietly slip out of my bed, make coffee and eat my first breakfast (banana) in the complete dark on my tiptoes desperately trying to be completely silent.

I had the same experience. ☺️ We lived in a Victorian-era rowhome with old wood floors. The stairs were so creaky...until returning home from the Camino. Then the old staircase never creaked! That's when I realized the Camino had taught me to walk very lightly. Thanks for the fun reminder mlhhome!

I have written before that on the Camino, the small stuff evaporates.

To a certain extent I have been able to carry that into "normal" life, whatever that might mean.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I lived for 4 years in a subsistence culture on a remote island in the Pacific before my first Camino at 72 ... I was actually disappointed that I found the Norte much easier than I was hoping. I did love it, though, and spent more time absorbed in the Spanish culture than in the Pilgrim experience.
Now I'm looking forward to heading back to Ribadesella next week to complete the last 400 km of the Norte at 76 with a whole different perspective.
Buen Camino

Greetings,
My apologies to the Moderators if this a duplicate thread…searching through >60,000 questions isn’t an exact science….
please modify as needed.

I have noticed since my Camino experiences (6X), I have developed some new routines, habits and perspective. For example, I quietly slip out of my bed, make coffee and eat my first breakfast (banana) in the complete dark on my tiptoes desperately trying to be completely silent. This is a learned behavior from my pre-dawn routine on the Camino. I have many others (all good), but before I ramble too much; I would like to learned about yours.

Thanks

Mike
My friends avoid me. All I talk about is my Camino. They are so tired of it

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Camino #1 - Learnt I could do what before had seemed impossible. Grew my courage and sense of self.
Camino #2 - Learnt I am better walking alone and not to ‘go along’ with the ideas of others. I really do know what’s best for me.
Camino #3 - Experienced timeless time - there is only this day, this hour, this moment; moment after moment after moment. Right now I am practicing this in my every day life as best I can - most definitely a work in progress.

I'll be honest, any changes or effect the Camino has had on me are relatively short lived.
You do have that 'Camino glow' when returning home but in time the realities of life at home gradually wears the feeling away.
So periodically one needs to head back for a 'recharge.'
Covid threw a wrench into the recharge schedule, but I am heading out again in late September for another boost.

€149,-
Greetings,
please modify as needed.

Thanks

Mike
I lost 25 pounds and kept 20 off. Oh, and now I dream of walking another camino.

After returning from the Camino, I find that, every morning, I'm craving a cafe con leche. So, I've decided to buy a fancy espresso/frothing machine. There are many on the market, so I'm wondering if any of you have one that you would particularly recommend. A lot of them require pods, but I want to use fresh coffee. I appreciate any info that's out there.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My main change is that I think about the Camino every day and have been drawn to this forum as it has given me something "extra" to fill some time in retirement, and I enjoy planning the next one. Being preoccupied though isn't necessarily a good thing. Also I have met some great people and occasionally see them beyond our virtual chats. I too, talk about the Camino to anyone who who asks about it. I do stop if I notice their eyes have glazed over.😅
Unfortunately I do not think I have become a better person overall. In fact I sometimes think my camino "tunnel vision" has stunted my growth in other areas.

Last edited:
My main change is that I think about the Camino every day and have been drawn to this forum as it has given me something "extra" to fill some time in retirement, and I enjoy planning the next one. Being preoccupied though isn't necessarily a good thing. Also I have met some great people and occasionally see them beyond our virtual chats. I too, talk about the Camino to anyone who who asks about it. I do stop if I notice their eyes have glazed over.😅
Unfortunately I do not think I have become a better person overall. In fact I sometimes think my camino "tunnel vision" has stunted my growth in other areas.
I turned 65 to day and I am now retired. This part of my life I planned on travelling to parts of the world I have never seen before. But since finishing my Camino Francés in June I am obsessed with doing another Camino. Already in my mind I want to do the Portuguese route and than the Norte or Frances again. I hope this obsession doesn't stop me from seeing other parts of Europe or the world. I too now have the tunnel vision focused only on the Caminos. But at this point in my life I always smile when I think about doing another Camino and that's all that counts.

After returning from the Camino, I find that, every morning, I'm craving a cafe con leche. So, I've decided to buy a fancy espresso/frothing machine. There are many on the market, so I'm wondering if any of you have one that you would particularly recommend. A lot of them require pods, but I want to use fresh coffee. I appreciate any info that's out there.
Sage Bambino. Fantastic!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am waking up every morning at 6 o´clock. Between 5:57 and 6:04!! -except today where I slept till 7:45 after 4 coughing and sniffling nights, so I deserved this late one. Very few late mornings...
I usually wake up rested and want "to get on with it". Luckily I still walk to my job only 3 kms away, come rain and shine, walking in my 10th set of boots
I have my hunting grounds where I can find my daily Café Cortado, a most needed ingredient to my life.
And yes the urge to connect everything in daily life to the Camino life, must be kept on the inside, quotes and all, friends get so tired......

Thoroughly agree with you and I don't even have a dog!

The only sincere reply I can make however to the question "How has the Camino changed me? " and I have simply to say : "Forever "

Samarkand.

I am now in awe of many Spanish people and I have a slightly better understanding of their culture and history. I am in love with Valencia however I also enjoy a number of other Spanish cities. I have learnt that having a stretch goal that contributes in some way to others brings energy and fun into my life.

I remarked to myself while walking the 30 minute trip from the London tube station to my AirBnB with my backpack on my back while on my way home that I can't remember when I last felt this good and ruminating on how to keep feeling so good.

When I returned and told a friend he suggested that the feeling of wellbeing was more than just my increased fitness and suppleness but also had a mental content that came from the fabulous Spanish people who I had met.

Hasta la próxima.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I turned 65 to day and I am now retired. This part of my life I planned on travelling to parts of the world I have never seen before. But since finishing my Camino Francés in June I am obsessed with doing another Camino. Already in my mind I want to do the Portuguese route and than the Norte or Frances again. I hope this obsession doesn't stop me from seeing other parts of Europe or the world. I too now have the tunnel vision focused only on the Caminos. But at this point in my life I always smile when I think about doing another Camino and that's all that counts.
same

I am learning that the 800+/- kms to Santiago were but just the beginning of my pilgrimage...Camino-inspired (and maybe somewhat odd) habits include regularly using a hot water coil, feeling utterly out of sorts if I don't start the day by walking, traveling with less, living with less, giving away more and more stuff, listening more and talking less...and spending every waking minute dreaming of Spain...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back