• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The fast train from Oriente station (in Lisbon) to Sao Bento in Porto

Anniespar

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm doing the Camino in April 2024
Hi everyone!

Is the fast train from Oriente to Sao Bento in Porto a direct train ride or do I need to transfer to another train before arriving at the Sao Bento train station?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you check the Comboios de Portugal website you get the following route. There is no need to change *except* at Porto itself.Oriente.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Generally speaking, yes. You can check the train times and train types here. Transit times range from 3 - 6 hours but the fast trains are all about 3 hours 21 mins. You can pay on the train if you are tight for time. I used cash and didn't see anyone using a card so have cash just in case.

Thank-you! How can I tell which one is the "fast train"? Would that be the Alfa Pendular?
There is an explanation here of the different train types in Portugal. Both AP and IC are fast train services, with the AP service just under 30 minutes quicker on the ~3 hour journey from Oriente to Campanha. A regional service would be around 5 hours.

Looking back over this thread, every service between Lisboa-Oriente and Porto-Sao Bento appears to require just one change, at Porto-Campanha. The services that come up in a simple search of the CP site for the leg from Oriente to Campanha are either AP (Alpha Pendular) or IC (Intercidades). The trains from Campanha to Sao Bento are almost all U (Urbano) although I did see one IR (InterRegional) on the day that I looked at.

My recollection is that both Alpha Pendular and Intercidades are booked seat services. I know that I was able to get a ticket on the train for InterRegional trains that don't have booked seating. I'm not sure how you would go about doing that for AP and IC services. It is easy enough to use the CP website or smartphone app, which would avoid any issues.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Generally speaking, yes. You can check the train times and train types here. Transit times range from 3 - 6 hours but the fast trains are all about 3 hours 21 mins. You can pay on the train if you are tight for time. I used cash and didn't see anyone using a card so have cash just in case.

Oh that's great to know! I was nervous about not getting a ticket in April bc they would all be booked but now, I will wait and pay once I'm on it. I don't think they will ALL be full on April 30th!!!! My anxiety gets the best of me at times!

There is an explanation here of the different train types in Portugal. Both AP and IC are fast train services, with the AP service just under 30 minutes quicker on the ~3 hour journey from Oriente to Campanha. A regional service would be around 5 hours.

Looking back over this thread, every service between Lisboa-Oriente and Porto-Sao Bento appears to require just one change, at Porto-Campanha. The services that come up in a simple search of the CP site for the leg from Oriente to Campanha are either AP (Alpha Pendular) or IC (Intercidades). The trains from Campanha to Sao Bento are almost all U (Urbano) although I did see one IR (InterRegional) on the day that I looked at.

My recollection is that both Alpha Pendular and Intercidades are booked seat services. I know that I was able to get a ticket on the train for InterRegional trains that don't have booked seating. I'm not sure how you would go about doing that for AP and IC services. It is easy enough to use the CP website or smartphone app, which would avoid any issues.
Perfect, thanks for the information! I can also pay once I'm on the train so no need to book a ticket ahead of time, unless I want a specific seat I guess or want to travel in business class!

Perfect, thanks for the information! I can also pay once I'm on the train so no need to book a ticket ahead of time, unless I want a specific seat I guess or want to travel in business class!
Buy the ticket beforehand.
You can get a fine for not having a valid ticket.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't think so. You need to book to get a seat allocated. These are not express services, and a vacant seat at the start of the journey where you get on might well be allocated from a station further on. You cannot just wander up to any vacant seat at Oriente (or elsewhere) and expect it to be vacant for the whole trip to Campanha.

I have been in the situation where my wife and I got the last two vacant seats departing from Oriente. The train was packed because of a train strike seeing many other services cancelled, included the one we had originally booked on. I don't wish that on you.

I don't think so. You need to book to get a seat allocated. These are not express services, and a vacant seat at the start of the journey where you get on might well be allocated from a station further on. You cannot just wander up to any vacant seat at Oriente (or elsewhere) and expect it to be vacant for the whole trip to Campanha.

I have been in the situation where my wife and I got the last two vacant seats departing from Oriente. The train was packed because of a train strike seeing many other services cancelled, included the one we had originally booked on. I don't wish that on you.
Oh OK, I'll book it beforehand. I'll book it this week!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Certainly if one boards an AP or IC from a station without a ticket office, this would apply. The discussion centres around leaving from Lisboa-Oriente, which does have one. @Anniespar could buy online or at the ticket station when she gets to Oriente. There might be some exceptions, but I don't think suggesting that she just gets on an AP or IC service at Oriente and takes pot luck on finding a vacant seat is the best advice on this matter.

Last edited:
Certainly if one boards an AP or IC from a station without a ticket office, this would apply. The discussion centres around leaving from Lisboa-Oriente, which does have one. @Anniespar could buy online or at the ticket station when she gets to Oriente. There might be some exceptions, but I don't think suggesting that she just get on and AP or IC service at Oriente and take pot luck on finding a vacant seat is the best advice on this matter.
Yes, I've decided to book and pay for my ticket in advance!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.