• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

The House of the Rising Sun- in Conques

shefollowsshells

Year of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
I know this has been mentioned before, in fact I might have started the thread.
The connection of Le Puy route to the song The House of the Rising Sun.
But a strange coincidence, like so many things Camino...
I, like everyone else here, am licking my wounds with overseas travel halted for 18 months if not more.
A trip to Barcelona with hubby, but mostly a Portugal trip where I was leading 14 hikers, all dear friends to commence in March. I had planned every detail, and the canceling of it has been pretty depressing. A First World Problem I have to keep telling myself, with the guilt of course. I am a frontline worker, in an Emergency Room with four of my six kids just coming out of quarantine with a positive Corona Virus result. So I'm so over this...
So yesterday, amazingly, I was drawn to my blog. I have no social medial, no twitter,instgram, no facebook .( I had facebook for four days when a new dog 20 minutes after arriving to my home, stray-shelter-to my home, ran away, we got him back four days later). But I have my travel blog, which personally I felt is just ramblings and of little interest to anyone. Most entries typed quickly over a coffee break when I had wifi, never proofread, filled with misspellings and fat finger typos. BUT yesterday I found myself reading my Le Puy, GR10 to connect to the Norte blog. I've never read my blog. This is a hike I did with five of my six children, why only five? One has some pretty severe special needs so he stayed home with daddy, who thankfully works from home and allowed us to do this trip. This trip was four years ago, and was a four-month trip, hiking I think exactly three months and sleeping outside about 80 percent of the time. My youngest was 9, with a pack that weighed what mine did (if not more)... I was slightly in awe over this trip re-reading it yesterday, and pretty emotional at times.
I had just read my entry of Conques, where I sat with Jean Michel, another pilgrim, listening to the monk play the organ in the evening. Jean Michel would share he had cancer, with a prognosis that was not good while we sat in that pew. He also complimented my kids in that pew and his words were "they get it", words I have comfort in as I remember him saying it way back when. Then totally unexpected the monk ends with a thunderous version of the House of the Rising Sun!!!
While vacationing in Croatia, with kids, right before covid, I got a text from Jean Michel's number, it was his wife, who I had never met and knew little about, telling me he thought a lot about my family, the kids especially, that he spoke of us often, and she wanted me to know that he had just passed.
So reliving Conques last night was especially emotional.
So within minutes, I get over my newsfeed that Valentine of The Animals had died yesterday.
I am sharing this so other Le Puy lovers might want to ask Alexa to play, "The House of the Rising Sun, by the Animals, Volume Ten".... today...
wishing I was sitting in a pew in Conques...
Much love fellow Camino lovers,
...assured our paths will be there when the World is ready for us...
Neve
my blog is shefollowsshells.blogspot.com, with specific tabs for all things camino

Last edited:
John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I, like everyone else here, am licking my wounds with overseas travel halted for 18 months if not more.
A trip to Barcelona with hubby, but mostly a Portugal trip where I was leading 14 hikers, all dear friends to commence in March. I had planned every detail, and the canceling of it has been pretty depressing. A First World Problem I have to keep telling myself, with the guilt of course. I am a frontline worker, in an Emergency Room with four of my six kids just coming out of quarantine with a positive Corona Virus result. So I'm so over this...
So yesterday, amazingly, I was drawn to my blog. I have no social medial, no twitter,instgram, no facebook .( I had facebook for four days when a new dog 20 minutes after arriving to my home, stray-shelter-to my home, ran away, we got him back four days later). But I have my travel blog, which personally I felt is just ramblings and of little interest to anyone. Most entries typed quickly over a coffee break when I had wifi, never proofread, filled with misspellings and fat finger typos. BUT yesterday I found myself reading my Le Puy, GR10 to connect to the Norte blog. I've never read my blog. This is a hike I did with five of my six children, why only five? One has some pretty severe special needs so he stayed home with daddy, who thankfully works from home and allowed us to do this trip. This trip was four years ago, and was a four-month trip, hiking I think exactly three months and sleeping outside about 80 percent of the time. My youngest was 9, with a pack that weighed what mine did (if not more)... I was slightly in awe over this trip re-reading it yesterday, and pretty emotional at times.
I had just read my entry of Conques, where I sat with Jean Michel, another pilgrim, listening to the monk play the organ in the evening. Jean Michel would share he had cancer, with a prognosis that was not good while we sat in that pew. He also complimented my kids in that pew and his words were "they get it", words I have comfort in as I remember him saying it way back when. Then totally unexpected the monk ends with a thunderous version of the House of the Rising Sun!!!
While vacationing in Croatia, with kids, right before covid, I got a text from Jean Michel's number, it was his wife, who I had never met and knew little about, telling me he thought a lot about my family, the kids especially, that he spoke of us often, and she wanted me to know that he had just passed.
So within minutes, I get over my newsfeed that Valentine of The Animals had died yesterday.
I am sharing this so other Le Puy lovers might want to ask Alexa to play, "The House of the Rising Sun, by the Animals, Volume Ten".... today...
Neve
my blog is shefollowsshells.blogspot.com, with specific tabs for all things camino
I am a Le Puy lover and was in Conques on the Le Puy route in June 2018 and absolutely loved the "House of the Rising Sun" being played loudly in the cathedral on the organ and will never forget the experience. Thank you for the reminder of this special evening and I will listen to it in memory of your camino friend.
I carry a similar disappointment as you as I was to walk the Norte with four others and had all plans in place for April-May 2020 and was also hoping to walk the Le Puy again in the fall. My plans are on hold...but not forgotten.

josephmcclain

Neve
Thanks so much for posting this. Thanks for writing without your ego sticking our around the edges!!.....assured all our paths will cross when the World is ready for us! thanks!!

Camino Frances (2011), Camino Frances (2015), Camino Ingles (2017), Camino Muxia (2017), LePuy(2019)
I too was surprised and delighted to hear The House of the Rising Sun as the finale to the organ concert in Conques. I recently learned that soon after the Animals recorded their version, the French star Johnny Hallyday recorded his version called Le Pénitencier. The French lyrics tell a completely different story from the English lyrics. So now I wonder if the organist was playing the french or English version!!! Either rendition, it was still a memorable experience.

John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Felice

SJPP to Santiago Sept 2014
Conques Abbey, May 2019. A wonderful unforgettable start to the second part of my Le Puy pilgrimage.
Some music takes me immediately to a point in time sometimes long past. The House of the Rising Sun is now one of those pieces. So when I saw that Hilton Valentine had died, I played it at full volume at least twice in tribute.
Thank you taiji for telling me about Jonny Hallyday's recording of the track. Further along the Le Puy route in May 2019, I stayed at a farmhouse in the Célé valley, above the caves. During supper, my host had music on, and the track came up, by The Animals. Later, he told me all about Jonny Halliday, the most famous singer that most English people had never heard of. How true that is. So I've just listened to Jonny's version, and the song has gone full circle!

Camino Frances (2011), Camino Frances (2015), Camino Ingles (2017), Camino Muxia (2017), LePuy(2019)
Conques Abbey, May 2019. A wonderful unforgettable start to the second part of my Le Puy pilgrimage.
Some music takes me immediately to a point in time sometimes long past. The House of the Rising Sun is now one of those pieces. So when I saw that Hilton Valentine had died, I played it at full volume at least twice in tribute.
Thank you taiji for telling me about Jonny Hallyday's recording of the track. Further along the Le Puy route in May 2019, I stayed at a farmhouse in the Célé valley, above the caves. During supper, my host had music on, and the track came up, by The Animals. Later, he told me all about Jonny Halliday, the most famous singer that most English people had never heard of. How true that is. So I've just listened to Jonny's version, and the song has gone full circle!
Felice, I too walked on the LePuy in May 2019, and I wonder if you are the Englishwoman we walked with for about 3 days?

shefollowsshells

Several alone and with children
I too was surprised and delighted to hear The House of the Rising Sun as the finale to the organ concert in Conques. I recently learned that soon after the Animals recorded their version, the French star Johnny Hallyday recorded his version called Le Pénitencier. The French lyrics tell a completely different story from the English lyrics. So now I wonder if the organist was playing the french or English version!!! Either rendition, it was still a memorable experience.
WOW!!!!
I had no idea, thank you guys for sharing.
Here are the lyrics...in link
I too am wondering if this is what the organist was referencing now...

Last edited: