• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"The Jerusalem Way" network of paths

Mony Dojeiji

Pilgrim. Rome to Jerusalem.
Time of past OR future Camino
To those pilgrims interested in exploring beyond the Camino, there is a concerted effort to link and mark trails from various points in Europe to Jerusalem. This map is the first version of it, and will continue to evolve.

Buen camino!
Mony

Attachments

• Jerusalem Way.jpg
    Jerusalem Way.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,204
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Would this be feasible for anyone who does not have EU citizenship? I don't think I'd be able to make it from Santiago to Jerusalem in the 90 days that my tourist visa allows :)

Hello spacebar,

I guess it depends on the country you're from, and how long it takes you to walk. :)

Some countries allow 6 months, not just 90 days... I guess once you decide that you want to go, and the route you want to take, then it's a matter of finding those answers. I can tell you that I walked from Rome to Jerusalem on a Canadian passport. My Spanish partner walked on a Spanish passport. If we needed a visa, we bought it at the border of the country we were about to walk into. Only in Turkey did our 3-month visas expire, and we needed to leave the country (to nearby Cyprus) and then come back. Syria was more challenging, but we did manage to get a visa at the border. It's best to get it beforehand, but I imagine no one is walking that route that route these days.

Best of luck in your planning, should you decide to do this! :)
Mony

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
No, I imagine no one is walking the Syrian path these days, although a friend of a friend biked into Georgia to cover the war with Russia a few years ago. He said the locals knew not to shoot him because his Russian was so poor . . .

I'm not actively planning anything right now, but I'm dreaming of a round-the-world/trekking/holy sites trip, so this is good information to have! Thank you!

Hi Mony!

I can't remember if I've asked this before, but do you know how easy it is to walk from Bethlehem to Jerusalem these days, given the wall etc.? It would just be a day's walking, but would it be more difficult/depressing than it was worth? Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Tyrrek,

That's a really hard call to make. I wish I could advise you. We happened to arrive in Jerusalem on Dec. 24 (quite unplanned, I assure you!) and decided to take a taxi to Bethlehem. We were told that the city was normally closed, but was open only that day and Dec. 25 for Christian pilgrims wishing to celebrate there. That was the only way we were able to enter.

I don't know what the situation is like now, but I do know that other pilgrims have recently arrived there. If you're on Facebook, there's a great group called "Confraternity of Pilgrims to Jerusalem", and I'm sure they can advise. If not, I can ask for you, and let you know.

Buen camino! :)
Mony

Thanks Mony. The reason I ask is because a couple of years ago I met a Brazilian pilgrim on the Camino who was flying to Israel to finish his pilgrimage in Jerusalem. He'd only have had a few days there, but it might have been a good final day's walk for him. At that time the West Bank was open, but just a bit tricky to get to/from (you had to change bus/taxi at the wall). I didn't do it when I was there, but I would if I went back and it was possible. Buen Camino!

The situation is so fluid there. You just have to see what conditions are like when you decide to walk.

In all cases, buen camino!
Mony

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Does this tie in at all with Abraham's path?

As I understand it, the Abraham Path goes from Ur (or Sanliurfa, Turkey) to Jerusalem, and what they are trying to do is build a path to promote local economies and tourism. The Jerusalem Way is trying to stick with the original paths that pilgrims traditionally walked, which did not necessarily go through towns or villages.

I'm sure there are points of intersection, though. And so long as the goal is to help the pilgrim in their journey, no matter which path they choose, I think it's great. I'm looking into where/if these paths physically intersect on the ground, and will let you know! :)

Buen camino!
Mony

Hi im going to add this website to this thread. The pilgrim walked from Mont St Michel to Mont Sant' Angelo in Gargano, Italy, he went via Sacra di San Michele near Turin and also via Rome. He continued his walk to Jeursalem. He did not do it in one go but over several visits, he is quite detailed with his information. www.camminacammini.com/en/

Mike

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
a concetrated effort is being made in italy and slovenia to mark the existing st james way (jakobova pot) from trieste (in italy) via ljubljana to zagreb (in croatia) with jerusalem way stickers and waymarks (that is, in the opposite direction of santiago arrows).
an alternative along a former roman road might also be planned in the future.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.581528928562205.1073741833.148998058481963&type=3

in 2013 I met a french pilgrim in pamplona, going to jerusalem. that was in may.

To those pilgrims interested in exploring beyond the Camino, there is a concerted effort to link and mark trails from various points in Europe to Jerusalem. This map is the first version of it, and will continue to evolve.

Buen camino!
Mony
I am very interested and think this is Great!!

this is a map of waymarked st james ways in slovenia.

dark red is the main way, called jakobova pot. in italy it connects with via grado aquiliense that leads from trieste to venezia and has just been waymarked in the direction of jerusalem as well. on the other side, research is being made in croatia and serbia to extend the route via zagreb and beograd.

a useful connection with austria is light red, called 'višarska pot' or 'višarska veja' because it goes via monte lussari/višarje in italy. is't waymarked only S-N so far, and can connect with österreichische pilgerweg along the drava river (at villach), or a more direct variant from south tirol (innsbruck-bruneck-innichen-maria luggau-marienpilgerweg).

for those coming from eastern europe via hungary, there is green 'ogrska veja', waymarked E-W so far.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...94697920.50792.100001629838077&type=1&theater

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Inspirational. I'd quite like to start in the Balkans, say, Croatia, head down to Turkey, where I've been many times. Then ferry to Cyprus where I lived as a boy but I'm not sure there's a ferry anymore to Haifa. The ferry from Turkey goes to North Cyprus but it's easy to cross to the South and the port of Limassol. It would be the sensible route in order to avoid Syria. There may be a ferry to Beirut from North Cyprus but crossing from Lebanon to Israel is probably not possible, and certainly travelling in south Lebanon is risky. Flying is possible of course but not very, er, exciting.

Buen camino!
Mony

This is a very good thing. I personally would love to do this. Your map gives me an idea of possibilities. Thanks for your post.
Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,<p>Bethlehem - Jerusalem is currently no problem. (as of March 2014) Just bring your passport.
Thanks Mony. The reason I ask is because a couple of years ago I met a Brazilian pilgrim on the Camino who was flying to Israel to finish his pilgrimage in Jerusalem. He'd only have had a few days there, but it might have been a good final day's walk for him. At that time the West Bank was open, but just a bit tricky to get to/from (you had to change bus/taxi at the wall). I didn't do it when I was there, but I would if I went back and it was possible. Buen Camino!

Does this tie in at all with Abraham's path?
Currently the Jerusalem Way Project is centered around some historical routes coming from the west. On my own pilgrimage to Jerusalem I chose a more exotic route (as I´m going there and back again) and passed through Harran and Urfa (Oct. 2013) but I saw no trace of an actually existing Abraham path even in Turkey - though I have read that it is waymarked now. Cheers, Fr. Johannes, www.4kmh.com

Buen camino!
Mony
I was hoping someone would see my post and send me a link... a jpeg that has clear and distinct trail marks from Roma to Istanbul? Also... Mony... you took the ferry... How much did it cost and were they very 'thorough' with your passport? I am also a Canadian... and have overstayed... In any event.. would you say it was hard to make out the way from albania to turkey? Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions... most appreciated.
Buen Camino.
stevenhunter-freddiwoomba.tumblr.com
Steve

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@steve I'm on my way home from Jerusalem so I went the reverse direction from Istanbul to Rome. I did not always take the shortest route but I have gps tracks for the whole way some of which could be helpful. See www.4kmh.com for details and pictures of the roads and paths each day. I crossed between Bari and Dubrovnik because I wanted to visit beautiful Montenegro too. Ferry was 54 € for a seat on deck.

@steve I'm on my way home from Jerusalem so I went the reverse direction from Istanbul to Rome. I did not always take the shortest route but I have gps tracks for the whole way some of which could be helpful. See www.4kmh.com for details and pictures of the roads and paths each day. I crossed between Bari and Dubrovnik because I wanted to visit beautiful Montenegro too. Ferry was 54 € for a seat on deck.
Hey... Thanks a lot for your reply! I did already have a look at your site. There was nowhere I found to correspond with you via that site either... I was hoping to find a JPEG upload from your site but there was nothing... So you are saying that there are GPS status updates on your site?? I didn't notice that... looks like I will have to look a little deeper... Did you find you needed the GPS? Or do you think you could just go it with the help of locals and possibly the knowledge of the 'next ' town? I know this is a hard question to ask... anyhow. cheers for the quick reply!
buen camino.
And I think... with your little influence I am going to have to make a detour to Montanegro as well... (does that require missing Albania? or did you take the coast south?) Millions of questions!!! lol

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back