• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The town on CF where you needed the most rest?

lettinggo

Hello from a new member to the forum

The past weeks I have read a lot of the forum to prepare myself for the walk I intend to do in a few weeks.
The information here has given me much new knowledge and thoughts and I feel better prepared for what awaits me.

My walk will start in Pamplona and head west. How long or how far it will be time will show.
I am a male, 45 years, average physical shape, and I want to take a walk or hike to get some fresh air in my head and in my mind.
When I read about the Camino, it felt as if this would be a good place to do this. In so many ways.

Tonight I came to think about a question I would like to ask.
At what town or at what Albergue, (you, how have do the Camino), did you feel the most need for the rest and the comfort and the care of the people living there ?

Obviously it all depends on where one starts.
Sct. Petersburg, Le Puy, St. Jean Pied du Point, Roncevalles, and so on.
Still.
If experienced walkers would tell where their need for rest was most urgent, I would appreciate their experience.

I send you all my best and a bueno camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi and welcome here!
Where to take a rest on the CF?
I personally welcomed the stop in Carrion de los Condes : the lovely albergue of the Sisters of Espiritu Santo ( nu bunkbeds but single ones ) but I think it had more to do with the fact that I was having a bladder infection. I consulted the local doctor there, got some very good help and then again got lovely professional assistance from the pharmacist. So for me Carrion and the combination of all above mentioned factors made it a nice stay.

But I also think that taking a rest somewhere en route is a very personal thing. I had been walking with a companion for nineteen days and then we parted. I remember the first evening " being on my own " in Sahagun : I found the local municipal albergue dark and depressing but that had more to dowith my emotions on that day than with the facilities of the place. Hmm hope I do make myself clear?

I also have fond memories of Hostal El Peregrino in El Burgo Ranero because the owner was so friendly and gave me a simple quiet room at the back of the hotel.

I also needed the rest in Vega de Vallcarce because I was a bit afraid of the walk to O Cebreiro. I wanted to be certain of a good night's sleep. Had a decent night in an hostal and the walk wasn't as hard as I feared... :wink:

Those were the two hostals I took before Sarria. After Sarria I stayed in two other hostales ( all other stops were in albergues ). Palas de Rei and Pedrouzo : at that moment I had met some heavy partygoers in the albergues and I needed some " me " time and contemplation so therefore I chose a hostal.
But also on the last leg was the beautiful albergue of Ribadiso de Baixo , beautifully situated near a river and a good place too for some hard earned rest.

So conclusion for me : it was a story of infrastructure but evenmore of emotions of the day and who you were walking / meeting that day.

I started in SJPDP and the day of rest I needed came near the end of the Meseta in Sahagun. My shoes had been torturing my feet since I had started, then I became feverish on the way out of Carion de los Condes, I knew I had to stop, and did a short section the next day into Sahagun. I stayed at the municipal albergue, the one above the church. I met two people who had taken time out there and we all came away healed. I often read bad reports about the albergue, but for me it was at the right time and place. The peace I found there changed my camino.

The same for you as well, try to listen to your warning signals from your body, heart and mind, wherever you need to stop that will be the right place for you.

Mike

ps Just seen the other post after i had written mine :) , and I have met many people who do not like the municipal in Sahagun, but it was right for me

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Lettinggo.

I think the time for rest is much more important than the place. You're walking for weeks, and you might not be up for it on some days (blisters, illness, or just fed up!). Sometimes you'll push yourself on, and other times give yourself a bit of a break whether that means a day off, a relatively short walk or a stay in a hostal rather than an albergue etc.

Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Where you will need the rest? Your body will tell you. I was lucky enough to be "stuck" 2 days in Léon with a foot injury (heel was cut opened by blisters, ouch!). The town is gorgeous, the cathedral, magnificient. After a full day of rest, I was ready to go. On the other hand, I had to stay a day in Carrion de los Condes due to a problem with my bank card and even if the town is nice, I didn't need the rest so it just irritated me to have to stay there. So, my best advice would be to stop when your body (or spirit) tells you to and not because you have a set place you want to stop. You'll realize soon enough that the stages you have planned before leaving are not the places you will end up staying because on the days you feel good, you'll be able to walk farther than you ever thought you could but on the days you don't feel so well, a 12 km stage will kill you. Don't worry, at the end, everything evens out and you'll get to Santiago in 31-34 days!

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back