• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

La Tuna in Santiago

jefferyonthecamino

http://www.barrerabooks.com/ - Guidebooks
Time of past OR future Camino
I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there two nights ago. I'm guessing as of 10pm onwards. They are always good fun for a sing along and a dance. Not sure if they are all students though.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Glad to know they are still filling the night air with musical magic.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For a moment there I thought you were getting excited about the marvellous tuna that's put into Ensalada mixta . 😁
That's exactly what I thought. Presumed someone was going to have a moan about substandard tuna in Santiago compared to what they get back home.
My 'best ensalada ever' story will have to wait. . 🤣

Originally, and stil in major university towns, a Tuna was comprised of students. But, for those of us who are fans of the Santiago tuna that performs almost nightly under the arches of the Raxoi Palace on Plaza Obradoiro, we might all agree that it has evolved into something like a social club. Most of the members appear to be in their 30s and older.

Check this excerpt from a Google search - with AI assist urned on -

"The Tuna de Derecho de Santiago de Compostela is a university musical group from Santiago de Compostela, Spain that performs serenades in the evenings at Plaza de Obradoiro. The group is known for their traditional instruments and for dressing in the style of 16th century university students. Some say they are a fun group to watch and sing along with."

Enjoy the music and the general fun.

Hope this helps.

Tom

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Originally, and stil in major university towns, a Tuna was comprised of students. But, for those of us who are fans of the Santiago tuna that performs almost nightly under the arches of the Raxoi Palace on Plaza Obradoiro, we might all agree that it has evolved into something like a social club. Most of the members appear to be in their 30s and older.

"The Tuna de Derecho de Santiago de Compostela is a university musical group from Santiago de Compostela, Spain that performs serenades in the evenings at Plaza de Obradoiro. The group is known for their traditional instruments and for dressing in the style of 16th century university students. Some say they are a fun group to watch and sing along with."

Hope this helps.

Tom
It's a brilliant addition to the atmosphere of the plaza, I always make a point of catching them.
They could be a mixture of students straight from high school and mature students I suppose.🤔 They create a great vibe either way

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oohh!
Ahhh!
I’m sooo looking forward to this! Where I grew up, we also had Tunas, which typically were very active during the Christmas season. They would release new songs each year that we would sing in our “Parrandas”.This is something I strongly associate with Spain and Hispanic cultures, although I don’t know how many other countries keep that tradition. Interestingly, ours in PR were Co-Ed but apparently not so in Spain. Also, the official Spanish word for the fish is “atún”, but I suspect that if you order “tuna” at a restaurant it will be understood.
I honestly can’t wait to do my first Camino! (In August).

When I was in high school a Tuna came to perform at one of our assemblies. All of us teenage girls were excited because we heard that all the young Spanish men were very handsome, and might give us a kiss on the cheek. We weren't disappointed - at least in their looks, I don't remember any kissing. 😊

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Or maybe faculty as well? These guys sure didn't look like students!
View attachment 168680
They probably aren't, but could be . . .
Depends how you think a student should look I guess. It's not unheard of in the uk for mature students to be in their 70's.
As long as the Atún (😉) continue to make great music, we're all happy🙂🎸

Hope this helps.

Tom
Thanks Tom. I have seen and enjoyed them for many years, especially on a Saturday night before flying home on Sunday. They're as much a part of the Camino for me as walking x

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, so my plans have slightly changed after completing the Coastal Portuguese and Finisterre/Muxia caminos on June 13. I now have 2 extra days in Santiago and was wondering where I should head...
The Santiago pilgrim office issued 3,171 Compostelas today. The second time so far this year when the total has been over 3,000. The first was on Good Friday when 3,193 Compostelas were handed out.
Hi my name is Bren I have started a daily AA English speaking meeting At 3Rua da Porta da Pena Casa Anglicana 6-7pm daily. Spread the word

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.