• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Universe Looks Out For Me

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
As some of you know, I had a rough season and felt a bit grouchy about walking this year.

After worrying about one pilgrim who left SJPP at 8 am and didn't arrive in Roncesvalles until 9:45 PM, and a few other incidents on the Autumn trip, Joe and I decided we needed to take the year off to decide whether or not it was financial feasible to incorporate and purchase liability insurance. So far, I don't see how we can afford to pass on the cost of insurance and still offer a fair price to our pilgrims. So that has not yet been settled. We cancelled our group walks in both Spring and Autumn, and sent our interested pilgrims to Sylvia Nilsen's Amawalkers.

The LAST time I decided to stay home, I had an ankle injury, and so decided not to walk. That year, I ended up bringing my brother home to die, caring for him until his last breath.

THIS time, my elderly mother has had a heart attack, and so it's best I stay home this year and watch over her.

Funny how that happens.
It all works out for the best.
Seems God and Universe continues to take care of me and make sure I'm where I'm most needed.
For that I'm grateful.

I am, however, getting itchy feet.
I see another Camino on the horizon.
It may be a year away, but I'm dreaming . . .

Happy New Year and Buen Camino to all of you Pilgrims!
Annie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The way you embraced caring for your brother was inspirational. I pray that you will experience blessing out of your next sacrifice, and have some special memories from your final time with your mother to treasure when you walk again.
Shalom.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sometimes it is only when we look back that we can see how God has cared for us and put us in the right place at the right time. Every blessing Annie for 2017

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
According to Webster...

Serendipity - the faculty or phenomenon of finding valuable or agreeable things not sought for; also an instance of this...

Or, consider that,

Serendipity does not come from Latin or Greek, but rather was created by a British nobleman in the mid 1700s from an ancient Persian fairy tale. The meaning of the word, good luck in finding valuable things unintentionally, refers to the fairy tale characters who were always making discoveries through chance. You can thank serendipity if you find a pencil at an empty desk just at you walk into an exam and realize that you forgot yours.

The term was coined by English writer Horace Walpole on January 28, 1754, in a letter written to Horace Mann. He credited it to a "silly fairy tale" he once read called 'The Three Princes of Serendip'.

According to the fairy tale, three Persian princes sailed off to make their fortunes in the "land of silk", an island called Serendip . (Today, the island is known as Sri Lanka.) Along the way, the princes made all types of wondrous and delightful discoveries about the island, and learned things they never expected. One such learning was purported to be the discovery that a mule blind in its right eye had recently traveled the same road. This was discovered when they noticed that the grass had been eaten only on the left side of the road.

The term is also sometimes used to mean "the randomness of fate," as in "whatever happens to cross my desk today."

In conclusion, rejoice in each day. Accept those things you cannot change, change the things you can affect. Let tomorrow take care of itself. Just like when you are walking a Camino, take the present day in turn. The Camino will always be there when you are ready for it. And, we are always there to support you.;)

FYI, I too am dealing with external issues that affect my Camino thoughts. Some 1,000 miles away, my dad is in failing health and my mom is also fading. While I do have a younger sister near them to help, I must be the leader, as the oldest.

Dad's health issues and related tribulations intruded on my volunteer stint this past summer when he had to have emergency surgery, and again cut short my trip to Spain and Belgium this past November - December, as he broke a hip, at nearly 89 years old. As a result, I may have to put walking a Camino this Spring on the back burner. But, I remain committed to serving as a volunteer again this July and August. I value keeping a promise made.

As you deal with the vicissitudes of life just know that you can always turn here for help, advice, and a shoulder, as needs must.

My prayers and very good thoughts go out to you and your family as you deal with these difficult issues.:)

I hope this helps.

Just returned from mom's and got the results from her tests. She has 50% blockages in her neck, heart, and legs on both sides.
She goes on the 18th for angiogram, and the doctor is talking about putting in stents.
I've spoken with several people who have had this procedure done, and it's apparently not too dangerous these days, so I'm actually happy this is happening NOW instead of after a major heart episode.

Thanks to everyone who has sent us good thoughts, and if I might ask a favor, would some of you maybe drop her name into the prayer list at Santiago when you arrive?

Her name is Gloanna Henderson.
She is 83 years old this month.

Here is a photo.
(Good LORD! I'm fat as a house!
It's what happens when I don't walk!?
Yikes!)

unnamed-1.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
She is in my prayers.
And you are both beautiful!

Blessings,
Marcie

Hi Annie, I'm glad your mother is getting the care she needs - it is wonderful what modern medicine achieves.

And I'm quite sure you will be back on the track in the not too distant future. That little voice calls!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.