• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Way Back

Time of past OR future Camino
[Camino Francés - June 2013]
[South Downs Way - June 2014]
[Annapurna Circuit - April 2015]
My ticket was just sent to me by mail. On saturday, the 1st of June I will travel by TGV to SJPDP! But this made me think about the following:

How to get back? When travelling by TGV, I heard you had to book a ticket up front. I don't know on which specific date I'm going to return, so I had this idea that I'd ask someone from my family to buy my return ticket online, while I was walking the Camino. But how would I receive the ticket if I'm walking around in Spain? Is there some post office in Fisterre or anything where I could send the ticket to, so I could just pick it up? Or is there another way to solve this problem all together?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. On an unrelated note, The Way Back, aside from being my subject title, is also an amazing movie!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have not walked before but normally if you have a phone or computer then you should be able to at least pull up the conformation for them (hopefully) and they can also look your name up. When you check in they should also be able to print the ticket out for you.

Advance bookings are vital if you want one of the discounted fares. OTOH unless all the seats are some how booked the higher fares should be available.

Start here

http://www.tgv-europe.com/en/train-ticket-withdrawal

You can have a ticket emailed.

1) Make your reservation, select 'e-ticket service' and pay online after entering the full name and date of birth of each passenger. The e-ticket is personal and may not be used by anyone but the person travelling.
2) The e-ticket confirmation can be downloaded at any time before departure. Simply click to print out one ticket per passenger and per journey. You can reprint your e-ticket confirmation if you lose the original.
3) If the terms of your ticket allow, you can cancel your e-ticket directly online at any time before departure. You can also exchange or print your e-ticket confirmation at a ticket counter or a Self-Service Terminal in an SNCF station in France.
4) Finally, board the train with your e-ticket document (printed e-ticket confirmation or e-ticket compatible card). You may be required to present official ID (identity card or passport) to the ticket inspector.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Choweth said:
...if you have a phone or computer...

I'm guessing you're referring to a Smartphone? I still got an old phone and hope to keep that one for a loooong time. :) I only use my phone to call in emergencies, nothing else.

NicoZ said:
You can have a ticket emailed.

That's an idea! I could just print it out in some internet-café at the end of my journey. Thanks, I'll look into it!

Ramon, I haven't booked my way back to Amsterdam yet. Looked into the possibilities and noticed that Vueling offers a reasonable priced flight from Santiago via Barcelona to Amsterdam. About the same price as my TGV/Night train ticket to SJPdP. Will book it once I am in Santiago as only then I will know the exact travel date back.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Forum! Just to reassure those starting now and the next week, but I was in Roncesvalles last night and, though full and busy, I talked to the hospitalero who told me, there were still 27 empty...
Walking the Camino Frances, since the 16th there has been a lot of mud on the trail but doable until today on the way to Pamplona! It got very difficult with the mud on the pass high up beside...
I started out from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on 1 May. It turned out to be an unforgetable day. Above 1,000 m or so it snowed, catching many people unprepared. Later that day "many" walkers were...
I'm flying from the USA to start my Camino this week. I will check my backpack, and to protect it, I will ship it in a plastic storage bin like this one: Rather than shipping the storage bin to...
Hi everyone -- After walking the Frances from SJpdP last October, I'm planning to revisit the bit between Logrono and Burgos this July, following different stages. It's the section where I had...
Just after 9am this morning I turned the last corner of the Camino Frances and stood in front of the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela!! It's been 33 days since I left Saint Jean Pied de Port...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back