• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thinking of doing it

Venado

Time of past OR future Camino
2012 Camino Frances 2017 Camino del Norte
Hi,

I'm Paul from Coventry.

I've often thought I'd like to do the Camino one day, having read about it, but I've had no hiking or long walking experience to speak of and I don't know if I could do it. I'm not working at the moment, just going through a bereavement. Once I've sorted myself out I could go travelling for a while.

The CSJ site recommends the Arles route, even for first timers, and I'd like to go to or start in France as I've been trying to learn the language. I'd also like to get the compostella. Is the Arles to Sangiago route to ambitious ? Heck of a long way !! Or could I start in Arles, take the bus part of the way to St Jean then start walking all the time from there ?

(Some great information on the Arles route on this site by the way- sounds daunting though and a bit scary )

softie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola Paul

Welcome to the Forum. Ask any questions you may have and members will try to answer from their own experience. You've got the time and you've got the motivation. All you need to do now is get organised and get started! :D I know what you mean when you say you are wondering if you can do it. I know that feeling. The thought of walking 1000 kms can seem overwhelming. But it isn't like that - it is achieved little by little, a day at a time in manageable chunks. Once you get started it all unfolds.

Good luck with you planning. Let us know how you get on.

John

If you're thinking about it and writing in this forum, then I'm pretty sure you'll do it. Like anyone, you are looking for assurance that you will be able to do it... YOU ARE! And 80-year old man from my walking group will leave for the Camino francès this fall; he started walking with his pack this weekend and he felt good! My colleague and her husband did the Arles route last year and they met maybe 15 people in all. Since this is your first Camino and that you are not confident in your abilities, may I suggest the Camino francès; there are so many villages that it gives you options about where to stay.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Maybe try going for some longer walks close to home to see if it's something you enjoy and can see yourself doing for days on end. Also, like someone above said, CF is a good option because it has lots of shorter segments that do so you can stop if you're tired. Good luck!

Dear all,

Thanks for your good advice and encouragement. Once around our local park is 2.5 km. I walked around it twice yesterday and it took me about and hour.(without backpack of course -as I don't own one). I'll buy so footwear/boots next and if I keep training and preparing and follow the advice on this website I'm sure I'll set out confidently when I'm ready.

Paul

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back