• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thomas Omen...BOOKED!

Tom Omen

I seem to have hit the wrong button on my laptop with my fat index finger this afternoon and booked my train two weeks early...fat finger or something telling me to get on and get started. I took it as an om...sign.
I arrive in Bayonne by train on the 26th June, night in a hotel and then bus replacement service(how very british) to St Jean next day. I have treated myself to the La Villa Esponda for that night so I can get away fresh Saturday morning.
Three years ago my dad had a painful, messy death. I realised I had not really known him and I also realised what a good man he was. Sadly my family has become estranged completely since. I have struggled these last years. I had led a very interesting life...Ive been everything from an actor, bar owner, scrapyard worker, bamboo cutter. I had and hope I still have a sense of humour and my patience. This journey, with so much unplanned and with no idea of what to expect is frightening. I have become sloth. I have become a coward these last few years. I haven't smoked in five years but I could have eaten a cigarette as I pushed the enter button earlier. I tried a few of my old clothes on and looked like Whitney dressed as Britney. Active wear is so unforgiving.
So I stand on the threshold of my Camino...I can hardly believe those words.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sometimes it just happens - then make the best of it.

Being a bit frightened or apprehensive does not have to be bad, may be it just shows that you're thinking deep down - Going a bit outside your comfort zone? Both of those are good in my book:)

You say you did not know your dad, but you say he was a good man, so you were lucky enough to "see him enough" to understand this. I think we are all multifaceted, and fit a multitude of labels at any given time, we do not necessarily show all aspects to all people at all times. You say you have lived an interesting life, to me that means ups and downs, and that takes strength, may be that strength comes, in part, from the "good" from your dad.

Active wear is unforgiving, as it has nothing to forgive - it only gives a layer of "bodily" protection. Whitney, Britney - it does not matter... Labels - choose to be more than one and let yourself live.

Let yourself have bad days, good days and everything in between. Walk a short day, or a long day... Start early, start late. Laugh a bit, cry a bit.

Some days might be hard, some easier. Listen to your body, be kind to yourself. Doing 5-10km extra on a day in the 1st week might seem like climbing a mountain - so don't, if you need to "catch up" leave it for your last 1-2 weeks, take a train or a bus. Award yourself the kindness that you would award others.

and - Buen Camino:)

So good advice! I will follow that aswell when I start from Pamplona June 23rd
After some real tough ("tuff") years I find those weeks walking with one of my doughters like a reconstruction of my damaged brain :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
After several weeks of walking, you'll regain your Britney form.

"Accidentally" scheduling two weeks earlier than planned suggests to me that St. James has plans for you . . . Be kind and gentle with yourself and trust that you will not walk alone.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
"Accidentally" scheduling two weeks earlier than planned suggests to me that St. James has plans for you . . . "

I walked CF sept 2013 and always avowed that "I was on pilgrimage" I visited any open church and went to any religious service that was available. I said once that Jesus was more likely to be found walking than in the churches. I have more photos of statues of St James in all his guises than would fill two coffee table publications!

Yet it has just struck me as I read your reply that St James was not "real" to me.
And yet it was a small laminated prayer to him that I came across last year in Lourdes that gave me the courage to " go pilgrim, follow your quest. Let nothing stop you"

And he tested me.

I need a locum replacement for my practice and that was the first requirement that needed to be in place before I could plan to go. So that was organised in June and I was all ready and building up to getting ready and fit. Until my locum cancelled! On July 25th; the feast of St James!

I went back to my prayer and vowed "let nothing stop you"
So alternative arrangements were made and I went.

This year I am going back to do the Chemin st Jacques from Le Puy

I must be more mindful this year of the Apostle Saint and Martyr in whose honour I will walk.

AMDG

Most read last week in this forum

One death attributed to a heart attack last week. Two pelegrinos gored, one seriously. One broken leg and many ending in Pamplona due to knee and leg and ankle injuries. Is it possible to confirm...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Is there a list of albergues that also have private rooms on the Camino Frances? Gracias.
Hi everyone -- After walking the Frances from SJpdP last October, I'm planning to revisit the bit between Logrono and Burgos this July, following different stages. It's the section where I had...
I started out from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on 1 May. It turned out to be an unforgetable day. Above 1,000 m or so it snowed, catching many people unprepared. Later that day "many" walkers were...
And another attempt looms, to buy a decent Poncho after trying and failing in the previous two likely towns. Anyone know where an Altos or similar might be bought in Leon, please? 😁

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back