• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Three week Camino del Norte - which part is best?

Ton

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la plata
Next year I would like to walk the Camino del Norte from Irun. My wife would like to walk with me for three weeks. Due to hip problems she does not want to walk more than 15 - 16 kilometers on one day. Can anybody give me an advice which part of the Camino del Norte could suit her best? For instance regarding number of albergues, difficulties of the track, availibility of buses taxi's and so on. The first part I understand to be very beautiful but also very hard, certainly for a start. Walking info Santiago is not important for het.
Thanks in advance
Ton Vaessen

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The shorter distances are possible after Santander which we did for my benefit. Walking from Bareda to Llanes or Ribadasella is a possibility. Take the cercania from Santander to Bareda and walk into Santillana (approx 8kms) then the stages can be made as long/short as you need. We used the CSJ printed guide and also Gronze website which has distances and up to date accommodation lists. The FEVE can be a help on the latter section and we took a taxi into Unquera from the cafe in Pesues (See gronze etapa 14)
A mix of road and track with some amazing scenery and also choice of accommodation etc. Probably possible also to start east of Santander using the same idea, but we have not walked that part and the section between Santander and Bareda is very much road walking through an industrial area.

I would favour starting at Irun, which is practical from the point of view of flying from UK to Biarritz and getting bus to Hendaye. I started from Irun at 1pm and arrived at the delightful albergue at Pasajes de San Juan at 5pm. Hard walking but if you take your time should be ok for your wife. From then on the coastal route is delightful and there is plenty of accommodation. Some sections may be demanding but shorter days are quite practical on this camino. My mistake was to go in July when there were many young people who were using it as a holiday rather than a pilgrimage, resulting in overcrowded and noisy nights.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.