• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tips for dividing long days on a walk from Florence to Assisi?

kmccue

Time of past OR future Camino
Three friends and I will be walking from Florence to Assissi. I'm struggling to divide some of the LONG days, most especially Citta to Pietralunga and then to Gubbio. Any ideas?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi @kmccue. The Rifugio Candeggio is about 14 kilometers from Città di Castello and after a healthy climb! The Pieve de' Saddi monastery is about 18km from Città. Since the stage is long at 29 km to Pietralunga, you could divide it into two, especially since the climbing in the first half is quite strenuous, then up/down from there into Pietralunga.

Pietralunga is a sweet little town, but there is not a whole lot ot see outside of the center. You could maybe extend the day past Pietralunga, if you went all the way to the monastery, however there is not much accommodation after Pietralunga. There is the Agriturismo Borgo San Benedetto after about 3.2 kilometers, but it is a full 3/4 kilometers off-route. That would stretch the 2nd day from the rifugio to only about 14-15 kilometers, with a remainder of 23 km to Gubbio.

Otherwise, From Pietralunga to Gubbio, the next accommodation is about halfway, at 15 kilometers, the B&B Di Valle after a long, strenuous climb to the Alto di Chiascio. It may make the most sense just to chop this stage into two as well, because you do NOT want to miss Gubbio. There is so much and to see and do there! There is not much else between Pietralunga and Gubbio that is appropriate for pilgrims.

For 3 stages, maybe, Città di Castello to the Pieve de' Saddi monastery, 18 km, Pieve de' Saddi monastery, thru Pietralunga to the Agriturismo Borgo San Benedetto, 15 km, then the Agriturismo to Gubbio for 23 km.

Or just do 4 stages, with each long one cut into two.

I have included links to my website, with contact info for the accommodations, and other great info for you. Hopefully you can figure this out! FYI, the Pieve de' Saddi monastery looks very, very basic, so if you plan to stay there, you may want to contact them and make sure all is still well there. Happy planning! You will love this walk! ~ Elle

Last edited:
Hi @kmccue. The Rifugio Candeggio is about 14 kilometers from Città di Castello and after a healthy climb! The Pieve de' Saddi monastery is about 18km from Città. Since the stage is long at 29 km to Pietralunga, you could divide it into two, especially since the climbing in the first half is quite strenuous, then up/down from there into Pietralunga.

Pietralunga is a sweet little town, but there is not a whole lot ot see outside of the center. You could maybe extend the day past Pietralunga, if you went all the way to the monastery, however there is not much accommodation after Pietralunga. There is the Agriturismo Borgo San Benedetto after about 3.2 kilometers, but it is a full 3/4 kilometers off-route. That would stretch the 2nd day from the rifugio to only about 14-15 kilometers, with a remainder of 23 km to Gubbio.

Otherwise, From Pietralunga to Gubbio, the next accommodation is about halfway, at 15 kilometers, the B&B Di Valle after a long, strenuous climb to the Alto di Chiascio. It may make the most sense just to chop this stage into two as well, because you do NOT want to miss Gubbio. There is so much and to see and do there! There is not much else between Pietralunga and Gubbio that is appropriate for pilgrims.

For 3 stages, maybe, Città di Castello to the Pieve de' Saddi monastery, 18 km, Pieve de' Saddi monastery, thru Pietralunga to the Agriturismo Borgo San Benedetto, 15 km, then the Agriturismo to Gubbio for 23 km.

Or just do 4 stages, with each long one cut into two.

I have included links to my website, with contact info for the accommodations, and other great info for you. Hopefully you can figure this out! FYI, the Pieve de' Saddi monastery looks very, very basic, so you plan to stay there, you may want to contact them and make sure all is still well there. Happy planning! You will love this walk! ~ Elle

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am so impressed with your info on Assisi!😇🙏 And you are from Colorado. Me too
I just returned from my 3rd small Camino. Going to Crestone for a few days this week… another lovely area❤️ At one time there was hope to do a camino in Crestone area…
Thanks for sharing you info… I’m now looking into German hikes…

Maureen

Hi @kmuccue, you could split the Città di Castello/Pietralunga stage, stopping in Pieve dei Saddi, where there is pilgrim's hostel at the parish. The stage Pietralunga/Gubbio, however, you could stop at Mocaiana .
Here you will find all the details of the stages, with distances and contact information for accommodations.

I stopped in Pieve de Saddi as well between Citta di Castello and Pietralunga. It is a very peacefull place. I didn't stop between Pietralunga and Gubbio. I walked straight from Pieve de Saddi to Gubbio.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If you have time in Gubbio, you can get a Compostela there after following the stations of interest related to the story of the wolf.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Good morning. After having walked, 3 (Frances, VdlP, CP and Fisterra) Camino to Santiago, we thought that this year we should ‘experience’ another Way. So in a few short days we fly off to Italy...
Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.