• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Way of St. Francis from La Verna to Rieti through Assisi

Kunter

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2022, The Way of St. Francis 2023
Last April - May, my wife and I hiked the Way of St. Francis in Italy from La Verna to Rieti through Assisi. From the USA, we flew into Rome, took a train to Florence for a two-day stop and took a bus to La Verna. From Rieti, we took a train to Rome to fly back home. We covered about 330 km in 21 walking days. We used three different guide books to customize our course. It was a different experience than the Camino Frances which we walked in 2022. Maybe due to our age (67 and 71) and some knee problems, the hills were challenging for us, especially the downhill. Hiking sticks were very useful. We did not see many people on the trail. There were not many towns or villages along our daily routes so we had to make sure we had enough food and water in our backpacks. Many sections of the trail were rocky and narrow which made it difficult when it was wet. It rained frequently during our trip. Some portions of the trail were not well marked and it was confusing at times due to multiple markings by different organizations. GPX files were very helpful. We mostly stayed in private rooms offered by B&Bs or local hotels. We reserved rooms in advance due to lack of alternative towns along the trail and the places we stayed were also visited by the tourists. Some portions of the trail were on very busy and narrow highways. We avoided these sections by taking a taxi to another spot and walking from there. We also took a taxi at times when the hills were steep and long and/or rain was forecasted for the day.

We found the cost for room and food to be about 20-25% higher than the Camino Frances. Our very limited Italian was not an issue. Google translate was very handy but also most people spoke enough English to communicate. People were extremely helpful and friendly. The food was amazingly delicious. The scenery was breathtaking. Overall, the whole experience was wonderful and memorable. We would like to do more hikes in Italy. We will try to plan it in a way where we only walk 10-12 km a day, avoid portions of the trail with steep and long hills, and maybe stay longer at the overnight stops to enjoy more of the local culture, people and food.

If you are interested, I can provide more information on our particular course, places we stayed, and the guide books we used. Grazie mille.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last April - May, my wife and I hiked the Way of St. Francis in Italy from La Verna to Rieti through Assisi. From the USA, we flew into Rome, took a train to Florence for a two-day stop and took a bus to La Verna. From Rieti, we took a train to Rome to fly back home. We covered about 330 km in 21 walking days. We used three different guide books to customize our course. It was a different experience than the Camino Frances which we walked in 2022. Maybe due to our age (67 and 71) and some knee problems, the hills were challenging for us, especially the downhill. Hiking sticks were very useful. We did not see many people on the trail. There were not many towns or villages along our daily routes so we had to make sure we had enough food and water in our backpacks. Many sections of the trail were rocky and narrow which made it difficult when it was wet. It rained frequently during our trip. Some portions of the trail were not well marked and it was confusing at times due to multiple markings by different organizations. GPX files were very helpful. We mostly stayed in private rooms offered by B&Bs or local hotels. We reserved rooms in advance due to lack of alternative towns along the trail and the places we stayed were also visited by the tourists. Some portions of the trail were on very busy and narrow highways. We avoided these sections by taking a taxi to another spot and walking from there. We also took a taxi at times when the hills were steep and long and/or rain was forecasted for the day.

We found the cost for room and food to be about 20-25% higher than the Camino Frances. Our very limited Italian was not an issue. Google translate was very handy but also most people spoke enough English to communicate. People were extremely helpful and friendly. The food was amazingly delicious. The scenery was breathtaking. Overall, the whole experience was wonderful and memorable. We would like to do more hikes in Italy. We will try to plan it in a way where we only walk 10-12 km a day, avoid portions of the trail with steep and long hills, and maybe stay longer at the overnight stops to enjoy more of the local culture, people and food.

If you are interested, I can provide more information on our particular course, places we stayed, and the guide books we used. Grazie mille.
I would like to receive more info, my daughter and I am thinking to Visit the Piedmont province next year and then walking to Rome. elmamalan@vodamail.co.za

Here is more info on our itinerary, etc. Thank you for your interest.

Attachments

• Way of St.Francis Itinerary.pdf
    47.5 KB · Views: 40
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you so much, Kunter, for the information. My wife and I are planning on walking the via de Francesco from Florence to Assisi in June 2024.
I have walked 3 caminos in the past, Frances, del norte, and primitivo. I am interested in trying something new, so we decided to try pilgrimage routes in Italy, starting with the Way of St. Francis.

Peace and every good

I think you will really enjoy it. We were planning to do Francigena in next Spring, but I had an unexpected bypass surgery in August, so I am not sure I I will be cleared by my cardiologist by then. Italy and Italians are perfect ingredients for memorable Camino. Stay healthy and thank you.

I think you will really enjoy it. We were planning to do Francigena in next Spring, but I had an unexpected bypass surgery in August, so I am not sure I I will be cleared by my cardiologist by then. Italy and Italians are perfect ingredients for memorable Camino. Stay healthy and thank you.
Thanks, Kunter! Wishing you good health and many future caminos.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Good morning. After having walked, 3 (Frances, VdlP, CP and Fisterra) Camino to Santiago, we thought that this year we should ‘experience’ another Way. So in a few short days we fly off to Italy...
Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.