• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Tips to Keep your Hiking Shoes Dry in the Rain

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My experience.
Lowa Renegade, well oiling with seal grease and always gaitersrp prevent the bottom of pants getting wet.
Never in my various Caminos done at Christmas with a lot of rain have my feet getting wet.
Ah, y un paraguas.

Could I please ask your opinion on using waterproof socks for a walk such as the West Highland Way (in Scottish autumn)? Also, would Aquaphor work as goop? I believe it has lanolin in it (my vegan friend wont use it).
Thank you so much. I have learnt so much from reading your posts.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wore Sealskins waterproof socks on the Portuguese Coastal Camino for one day of persistent heavy rain and they held up surprisingly well!
I will defo take them on my next Camino but i imagine you will experience a bit more than that on the WHW!!
Woody

I use Sealskinz and they work for me. Two layers of merino with a waterproof barrier between.

I hate walking in the rain.

I use Sealskinz and they work for me. Two layers of merino with a waterproof barrier between.

Any issues with feet sweating or that system causing too much internal moisture? Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Hi, Magpie9. This Forum has so many wonderful people sharing an encyclopedia's worth of excellent knowledge.

I am not familiar with Aquaphor, but if it is a lanolin based type of ointment, then it likely would be a good 'goop'.

Lanolin, like beeswax, serves to stay on top of the skin much more persistently than a petrolatum like vaseline; although if a petrolatum is combined with a large percentage of lanolin OR beeswax, (or both), than it will work well.

If the active ingredients are listed, lanolin should be at or near the top of the list to determine that it has a useful concentration.

Nowadays I tend to make my own 'goop' from purchases of beeswaxes and lanolin which I heat gently in a double boiler using old pots. When it is liquified enough, I mix together with an old whisk, whisking gently to avoid trapping excessive air bubbles in the cooled mixture.

I can control the concentrations of any other ingredients, like a camphor or a fungicide. I will typically start with a 50-50 mix of the wax and lanolin, and then decide if the consistency needs adjustment.

Chris, that gave me such a chuckle. . . I started picturing a pilgrim with soggy clothing, who could not get his/her café con leche and also missed breakfast. Talk about grumpy: a wet pilgrim suffering from being hangry and with caffeine withdrawals.

Most read last week in this forum