• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking shoes recommendations

Gregbart

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning.
Hi all,
I am looking for a recommendation for a good hiking shoe, or low boot. With all the miles hiked by this group, I figured I could get some good advice. I'm not really interested in trail runners.
I have worn the same brand, and model, boots for many years. But, the quality has really fallen off.
I used to get about a year out of them. Now, after a few weeks, I need to start re-gluing the soles. I get a total of about four months. The manufacturer has given me vouchers for replacements. But, I don't need the hassle anymore.
I will be walking the CF, starting mid-April. I'm starting my training now, and would like to get a good pair to start training with.
A little about me... I wear a size 13w. I split my time between the Pacific Northwest and Death Valley NP. My wife and I live and work in state and national parks year round. They will be worn every single day. The boots need to be comfortable hiking on trails covered in pine needles (slippery) and rocky, dusty, slot canyons.
I'm not overly concerned about the cost, as long as the value is there. Weight isn't a huge concern either. I just need some comfortable, bulletproof, boots.
Thanks,
Greg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi all,
I am looking for a recommendation for a good hiking shoe, or low boot. With all the miles hiked by this group, I figured I could get some good advice. I'm not really interested in trail runners.
I have worn the same brand, and model, boots for many years. But, the quality has really fallen off.
I used to get about a year out of them. Now, after a few weeks, I need to start re-gluing the soles. I get a total of about four months. The manufacturer has given me vouchers for replacements. But, I don't need the hassle anymore.
I will be walking the CF, starting mid-April. I'm starting my training now, and would like to get a good pair to start training with.
A little about me... I wear a size 13w. I split my time between the Pacific Northwest and Death Valley NP. My wife and I live and work in state and national parks year round. They will be worn every single day. The boots need to be comfortable hiking on trails covered in pine needles (slippery) and rocky, dusty, slot canyons.
I'm not overly concerned about the cost, as long as the value is there. Weight isn't a huge concern either. I just need some comfortable, bulletproof, boots.
Thanks,
Greg
Greg, I wear Merrell Moab 3 hiking shoes daily and for hiking. I’ve found them to be very comfortable and resilient. If I could find some trail runners that were as comfortable, I’d certainly consider them as the Merrells are relatively heavy.
At the end of the day, shoes are such a personal choice, I think it’s really down to the ‘suck it and see’ research method.
Good luck.

The path on the CF is truly variable, with asphalt, trails and farm tracks and even some old Roman stone tracks. I wore trail runners with a good grip for slippery slopes. Mine were New Balance and I switched pairs in Leon about midway on the CF, having mailed them to the hotel I booked in advance. It worked:
1691463016083.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I wear Merrell Moab 3 hiking shoes daily and for hiking.

While I'm a trail runners person, my husband will also swear for his Merrels Moab 3. He did the Portuguese and the lebaniego on them. Those are shorter routes (200km and 80km), so there was very little wear.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm not really interested in trail runners.
There's no terrain on the CF that would require boots.
I know you are not really interested in Trail Runners and I can see by your description I am sure you need boots for the terrain you referenced. Annie still lives in the Pacific Northwest and I lived there for over 20 years so I am familiar with why you wear boots hiking there. Anniesantiago has walked alot more caminos then I have. I have done 7 with number 8 this year but I am a rookie next to her. I have walked many different routes and I am sure Annie has too. (there are still many more that I have to do of course:)) As she said there is no terrain that requires boots. I have never felt like boots were needed on any of my caminos. You should think about trail runners. They are lighter and will give you the cushion you need on those rocky parts. As I have said many times observationally I have seen far more and far worse blisters with people who wear boots over trail runners. My eyes are of course extremely scientific :). I have big gun boat feet also. I wear a size 14. For caminos I wear my trusty Brooks Cascadias. Worn them on every camino. But i get a size 15 2W. Normally for just walking around I not need a wider shoe. I haven't had a blister since 2015. Then they were two tiny ones that i took care of the moment they appeared and was not bothered by them at all. Buen Camino

For the last year or so I have worn La Sportiva Raptor II Mid Wide GTX low boots, year around, all day, because they are so darn comfortable on my very wide right foot bunion. They are Gore-tex lined but I don't have sweaty feet. Very light, too. Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I tried many different shoes prior to my Camino and settled on Altra Olympus for the wide toe box. I probably spend about $900 trying to find the right ones but it was totally worth it. I tried Merrill, Saucony, and Solomon, to name a few.

Hi all,
Thanks,
Greg
You require bulletproof shoes? Seriously?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all,
Thanks,
Greg
I walked last Sept/Oct in trail runners Salomon XA Pro 3D, 1 size up from my normal shoes, never had a blister or any issues, highly recommend you buy merino wool socks! Foot care is important if you want to have zero issues.

I was a fan of Columbia and because the service here is so-so, switching to a Meindle light shoe. Tested an Italian brand but too high, then another American brand too soft on pebbles even with an inside additional sole.
Definitely using NOK cream each day to harden the soles of the feet.

I have worn LOWA for years. Renegade boots and renegade shoes. Wore the shoes last year on the CF and they coped with everything. Basically a light boot without the ankles.
solid, supportive for my height and weight with good soles and foot protection. These are my 3rd pair. I am now trying the slightly lighter LOWA Sirkos that seem to have all the same attributes So far.
My friend wore Merril Moab low cut boots on the CF a and they did him fine

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It’s all down to preference, so for what it’s worth this is my preference.
I’m on my fift or sixth pair of Meindl Rapide GTX (trail shoes) with a Superfeet Trail insole. In them I have walked the John Muir Trail in 2016, two week sections of Camino Norte (Irun to Bilbao & Bilbao to Gijon) the Primitivo to Lugo and full CF in 2023. I have never had a blister or any foot issues and find them suitable for all terrains encountered so far on the Camino. As I said it’s all down to personal choice.

Hi all,
Thanks,
Greg
Solomon X-ultra…. I get a good 700 miles on pavement on these and the tops still look like they did out of the box. You’ll get an easy 1000 miles on turf.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It’s all down to preference, so for what it’s worth this is my preference.
I’m on my fift or sixth pair of Meindl Rapide GTX (trail shoes) with a Superfeet Trail insole. In them I have walked the John Muir Trail in 2016, two week sections of Camino Norte (Irun to Bilbao & Bilbao to Gijon) the Primitivo to Lugo and full CF in 2023. I have never had a blister or any foot issues and find them suitable for all terrains encountered so far on the Camino. As I said it’s all down to personal choice.
I don’t think that it is down to preferences: we all walk but we all have different legs, feet, bodies..and there are shoes that fit and others that simply don’t donthe job. With the Columbia, never had a blister, felt like I was walking on a cloud..with thie other two pairs, I found my feet creating blisters and sore feet.

For a wide size (I take EEE in Allen Edmonds), I recommend Treksta. I tried many brands but found most to be too tight on the front part of the foot. Treksta lasts are wide and I've walked a lot of Camino's without getting blisters (such as the one I'm on now).
There is a 'but' and that is a pair will not last much more beyond a Camino Frances from SJPdP..

I don’t think that it is down to preferences: we all walk but we all have different legs, feet, bodies..and there are shoes that fit and others that simply don’t donthe job. With the Columbia, never had a blister, felt like I was walking on a cloud..with thie other two pairs, I found my feet creating blisters and sore feet.
Did your experiences not influence your preferences?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wear Meindl boots on all of my Caminos and all year round as a tour guide in Germany. For me, they are great on asphalt, cobblestones, mud, snow, puddles, gravel, etc. and they seem to last forever. My husband likes them too and he is also a tour guide.
Not sure if you can get the in the US or not.

I wear Meindl boots on all of my Caminos and all year round as a tour guide in Germany. For me, they are great on asphalt, cobblestones, mud, snow, puddles, gravel, etc. and they seem to last forever. My husband likes them too and he is also a tour guide.
I’m guessing Meindl is not known or easily available in the US?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Solomon X-ultra…. I get a good 700 miles on pavement on these and the tops still look like they did out of the box. You’ll get an easy 1000 miles on turf.
That sounds like not very much.

I can get about 3,000K out of my army boots before they start to need re-soling, and it's only if I walk 4,000 to 5,000 K on them without getting it done that they'll die.

And I'm tall so heavy, and someone normal size should get more wear out of such boots than that.

Don't recommend them -- my ankles need them, yours almost certainly don't ; but something similar such as classic leather hiking shoes (with rubber soles !!) should be similar enough in durability and quality.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all,
Thanks,
Greg
On my first Caminos I wore expensive walking shoes. My last two I have worn a pair of $A 50 from ASDA supermarket in the UK. Good luck

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I agree with SuefromVegas! Altra Olympus with the vibram sole is perfect for the rockier portions. Wide toe box is a plus. Very durable, wore them on the Frances last September and still going strong walking several days a week since.

I know you said you aren't interested in trail runners, but New Balance trail runners are my suggestion. There's no terrain on the CF that would require boots.
I see more discarded boots along the trail than anything except toilet paper.
Hi Annie, which New Balance trail runners do you wear?
Thanks

I'm on my second pair of Merrell Moab vents and happy with them. I see them on too many other people's feet to believe they are all the first pair they have had. I wear them on some rugged montain hikes. They hold well on steep granite slabs. I wore my first pair on my 350 mile camino from Barcelona to Pamplona.

The fabric on my recent New Balance trail runners tore quickly with no rugged use at all due to a design flaw that a company as old as it is should have been aware of. Buy a pair from them only if their model has good reviews.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks to everyone who took their time to help me out. Last night I bought a pair of Moab 3 boots.
It's a little after 0600, here in Oregon. I'm lacing them up and heading out to hike "The Trail of Ten Falls" in Silver Falls State Park.
If, for some reason, these don't work out, it'll be nice having all the other suggestions handy.
So, thanks again.
Greg

I am a big fan of Meindl, both boots and hiking shoes. Unfortunately this year I could not get a Meindl boot to fit comfortably, my left foot seemed to have got a late growth spurt, so am currently breaking in my first pair of Lowa Renegade boot.

While I appreciate that most, perhaps all, of the Camino Frances does not require boots, I do love my ankle support.

Last edited:
Hi Annie, which New Balance trail runners do you wear?
Thanks
Each year I go to the New Balance store and check out which are built on the SL-2 shoe last. These shoes have a very deep, wide toe box and a narrow heel. So each year it's a different model. You can also call your New Balance store and ask. I also buy my shoes 1/2 to 1 size larger than I usually wear so when my feet swell from walking, they won't be too tight.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Greg, I wear Merrell Moab 3 hiking shoes daily and for hiking. I’ve found them to be very comfortable and resilient. If I could find some trail runners that were as comfortable, I’d certainly consider them as the Merrells are relatively heavy.
At the end of the day, shoes are such a personal choice, I think it’s really down to the ‘suck it and see’ research method.
Good luck.
Yeah, I wear Merrell Moab 3, awesome tracking shoes, walked all off CF last year, still in great Nick for this years CP from Lisbon.

We saw a lot of Hoka trail runners. In the past I have used Altra and Inov-8 trail runners for my long walk. There are lots of good options... all depends on your feet. I used Luna minimal sandals on the Frances route from SJPP with no blisters or foot/leg problems. My wife developed achilles tendonitis wearing her running shoes after about a week. When she switched to Merrill sandals + compression socks she was able to get significant recovery and was able to walk mostly pain free by the time we got to the end of the camino.

Most important is to get a lot of miles in on the model of shoe you will wear on the camino while carrying the weight you plan to carry. The slope of the shoe from heel to toe (called the shoe’s drop) and the weight from the pack will change the way you move and the demands on your muscles, especially your achilles tendon. Many people wear shoes with moderate to high heels in daily life and use shoes which are near zero drop on the Camino. This can lead to achilles tendinitis which results in extreme heel pain as well as other issues.

The best way to prepare for the Camino is to slowly increase the amount of walking you do each week. Doing a long walk each weekend is not going to be sufficient. In the running community there is a rule of thumb that your weekly “base” milage should be 2.5-3 times the race distance you are training for. I am not sure if this maps to long distance walking, but I think it’s a good starting place. In the case of the Camino this would suggest that if you are planning to for 15 mile days, that you should get up to 45 miles of training walks in a week, with at least one day that is close to the longest day you plan to walk on the Camino. For example, work up to doing 3 miles each morning and evening (listen to a podcast or audio book if you need to make the most of your time) 5 days, and a 15 mile day once a week.

Footwear really is something you need to figure out via trial and error. It is such an individual thing with such a wide degree of differing foot issues it is virtually impossible to say what worked for me would be a good bet for you.
Some swear by hiking boots, I generally swear at them! Many claim boots for long distance walking are the bees knees. I personally am in the trail shoe camp after destroying my feet on two different Caminos with boots.
Absolutely try on every thing you can at a good hiking store. Take home the first and second choices. Wear them around the house for a few hours minimum to decide. Then on to some outside walks with the chosen pair. Trail shoes require little break in, where hiking boots depending on construction may require some miles before a Camino.
Don't order online! You have to try them on in person.
Socks are as important as your boots/shoes. 'Wright' brand socks have worked great for me personally, but I am sure there are other equally good brands.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good luck.
Agree completely! I too am a fan of Merrell (Moab). I like the ankle high boot better than the shoe because it helps to keep small rocks out better. Since I mostly hike in dry hot areas of Central California, I prefer the Ventilator, though I did do the entire Camino Francis with a pair of waterproof boots. They tend to be a little more occlusive but I was concerned about rain, which ended up not being the case. It only rained for 2 days!

I also agree that finding the right shoe is very personal and takes a lot of time and trial/error to figure it out. That's why I tell people that training for the Camino is about 25% physical and 75% figuring out your footwear and your weak body parts and developing a strategy for dealing with these weak points while on the trail.

For me, after many years of experimentation that what works best for me is to stick with the Merrell Moabs, and purchase the wide cut about a full size lager than my measured foot. This gives me enough room to add extra cushioning (Dr. Scholz Airpillow Inserts) under the insert that comes with the shoe and then place my custom orthotics over the shoe insert. HOWEVER, what works for me may not work for someone else and that's where trial and error come into play.

I wear Altra Lone Peaks for the Sierras, but don’t believe one pair would last for 500-800 mile Camino. After trying several brands, I have settled on Oboz Sawtooth shoes (not waterproof) - they definitely make it through a whole Camino+, and I am 225 lbs. Starting 6th Camino next Wed.

Hi all,
Thanks,
Greg
I wear the vivobarefoot forest esc. It is a zero drop shoe, so you need to adapt.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi all,
Thanks,
Greg
Hi Greg,
We did the Portuguese Camino in April this year. From Porto we went along the coast then switched to the Central from Vila do Conde. We did the Spiritual variant from Pontevedra. All in all we covered sand, boardwalks, concrete, tarseal, granite setts, Roman roads, rocks, rain and mud.
My wife had Merrell Moab 2 and despite good foot care and training ended up with blisters after day 5. I had Jack Wolfskin Vojo 3 mid rise and they were perfect. LIghtweight, good support and excellent traction on all surfaces.
We're in our late seventies and ankle support was paramount. We both used carbon poles where appropriate.
Hope that helps.
Kelvin

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.