• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To bus or to train from Madrid to Pamplona

Miguel Pazos

Time of past OR future Camino
Will begin on September 8th, 2016
I'm flying from Austin on September 7th, arriving in Madrid the morning of September 8th. I need to decide whether to make a train or a bus reservation, for that same day, from Madrid (Barajas) to Pamplona.
I expect I will meet other pilgrims on the way to Pamplona that may want to share a taxi to SJPP.
What have been some experiences here? Which is better? more reliable? more flexible? What if my flight comes in late and I miss my connection?
Any ideas anyone can share with me?
Thank you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If your flight schedule meets a bus, I think it is more convenient. You don't have to go into Madrid for a train. You don't have to get from the Pamplona train station to the bus station. The buses leave from T-4 terminal, so you just walk out the upper level and look for the bus stops.

I have taken the bus from Madrid to Pamplona many times. It is an inexpensive and pleasant way to travel. The train, on the other hand, is much more expensive. PLM is the bus company to take (Pamplona / Logrono / Madrid). Price is €22.35 one way or €38 return. Two direct buses a day. The others all stop in Logrono and a couple of them are local buses stopping frequently along the way and to be avoided.

http://plmautocares.com/

You will have to go to the bus station in Madrid.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You may take a bus out of the airport itself (Terminal 4). PLM (http://plmautocares.com) has a bus from Madrid's airport to Pamplona six days per week. If the schedule of that bus doesn't suit you, Alsa (www.alsa.es/en) has more options but they mean a change of buses along the route (most likely in Soria) although that shouldn't be worse than communting from Madrid's airport to the downtown to take a bus or a train. Alsa has an office at the airport where you can get tickets for the next bus with available seats (if you didn't book your tickets in advance). If Alsa's schedule out of the airport didn't suit you either, you would need to go to downtown Madrid (Intercambiador de Avenida de América) from where there are more buses to Pamplona than out of the airport. In that case, to travel with PLM that makes the route direct (i.e.: without any change of buses along the route) would be IMHO better than with Alsa (because Alsa means a change of buses along the route). The bus station in Pamplona is on the city center.

By train, you would need to take the express bus (www.emtmadrid.com/Aeropuerto) to go from the airport to Atocha. There are commuter trains too linking the airport with Atocha but there are works on the tracks and you have to make part of the route by bus so till the works on the tracks are finished, the express bus is the best option. Trains from Madrid Puerta de Atocha to Pamplona are direct (take a look at the web of RENFE -www.renfe.com- for info about schedules, fares...). The train station in Pamplona is a bit far away from the city center.

Bus has the advantage that you (can) avoid getting to downtown Madrid and it leaves you at a more centric place in Pamplona than the train. Otherwise, train or bus is a matter of personal preferences. Regarding missing connections due to a delayed flight, read the terms and conditions of the fare you book to know what are that fare's rules about that question. If you don't bother to pay full fare, you could book your ticket once on the ground. That means a little bit of flexibility in case some bus or train was full but there are enough options as to find someone with available seats.

You may take a bus out of the airport itself (Terminal 4). PLM (http://plmautocares.com) has a bus from Madrid's airport to Pamplona six days per week. If the schedule of that bus doesn't suit you, Alsa (www.alsa.es/en) has more options but they mean a change of buses along the route (most likely in Soria) although that shouldn't be worse than communting from Madrid's airport to the downtown to take a bus or a train. Alsa has an office at the airport where you can get tickets for the next bus with available seats (if you didn't book your tickets in advance). If Alsa's schedule out of the airport didn't suit you either, you would need to go to downtown Madrid (Intercambiador de Avenida de América) from where there are more buses to Pamplona than out of the airport. In that case, to travel with PLM that makes the route direct (i.e.: without any change of buses along the route) would be IMHO better than with Alsa (because Alsa means a change of buses along the route). The bus station in Pamplona is on the city center.

By train, you would need to take the express bus (www.emtmadrid.com/Aeropuerto) to go from the airport to Atocha. There are commuter trains too linking the airport with Atocha but there are works on the tracks and you have to make part of the route by bus so till the works on the tracks are finished, the express bus is the best option. Trains from Madrid Puerta de Atocha to Pamplona are direct (take a look at the web of RENFE -www.renfe.com- for info about schedules, fares...). The train station in Pamplona is a bit far away from the city center.

Bus has the advantage that you (can) avoid getting to downtown Madrid and it leaves you at a more centric place in Pamplona than the train. Otherwise, train or bus is a matter of personal preferences. Regarding missing connections due to a delayed flight, read the terms and conditions of the fare you book to know what are that fare's rules about that question. If you don't bother to pay full fare, you could book your ticket once on the ground. That means a little bit of flexibility in case some bus or train was full but there are enough options as to find someone with available seats.
Thanks to everyone that has offered some ideas so far. This forum and the peregrinos that inhabit in it are god-sent to those of us venturing the Camino for the first time. Everyone's experience and willingness to share it is greatly appreciated. I'm sure I will run into many of you along the way. Look forward to meeting you in person.
Buen camino always!

I would recommend allowing 3 hours after arrival time to allow for late flights and other delays at the airport.

It is possible to exchange a ticket for an earlier departure at a cost but if you miss your departure you are out the cost of the ticket. You can purchase tickets at the time of departure ... though it will likely be full price.

PLM autocares and ALSA operate buses from Madrid Intercambiador de Avenida de America to Pamplona. Some, but not all, buses make a stop enroute at Madrid Airport T4. ALSA buses involve a transfer at Soria or Zaragosa.

Renfe operates trains from Madrid Puerta de Atocha to Pamplona.

EMT Madrid #200 bus goes from Madrid Airport to Avenida de America.

EMT Madrid #203 bus goes from Madrid Airport to Puerta de Atocha.

Renfe Cercanias commuter train goes from Madrid Airport T4 to Puerta de Atocha.

Madrid Metro operates subway trains from Madrid Airport to both Avenida de America and Puerta de Atocha. Both destinations involve transfers.

CONDA (ALSA) operates buses from Pamplona to SJPdP. A critical factor is the last bus leaves at 1730.

There is local transit in Pamplona that connects Pamplona Renfe station to Pamplona bus station.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You can't beat the price of PLM from Madrid bus station

If you could get one of the (heavily) discounted tickets that Alsa offers on some buses by booking online well in advance you could get a cheaper one-way fare (out of the airport) than the PLM one you quoted out of the downtown. I don't know if PLM has offers too though.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back