• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to Pamplona by train

chuckhibbs

Time of past OR future Camino
I will be arriving in MAD )Baranjas) 9:00 a.m,need want to catch 10:30 a.m train from Atocha train station. Do I have enough time to do this transfer!
Any advice? Thanks
Chuck

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I will be arriving in MAD )Baranjas) 9:00 a.m,need want to catch 10:30 a.m train from Atocha train station. Do I have enough time to do this transfer!
Any advice? Thanks
Chuck
Sure thing. We took the Metro to the Atocha Station then onto the Pamplona train. It depends on luggage and Customs, really. Good luck!

Sure thing. We took the Metro to the Atocha Station then onto the Pamplona train. It depends on luggage and Customs, really. Good luck!
So true. In June we arrived at MAD at 06:20 and didn't see our last bag until 09:45. (I had an Air Tag in it and told Iberia exactly where it was, but somehow they still couldn't get it into the belt.) We would have missed the morning trains to Pamplona but fortunately booked the one at around 14:00.

You can take the Cercanias train directly to Atocha from T4 at the airport. Your train ticket may include a free transfer.. look for a qr code on the ticket. You scan it at the gate both getting on and off and then walk directly to your train. The trains to Pamplona at Atocha leave from the lower level, I believe.

There is also an Express bus from each terminal to Atocha from the Airport. Go out to the bus stop in front of T1, 2, 3, 4. It was 5 euros and you can pay with a card. The bus drops off directly outside the train station.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you have time to spare around the Atocha station, there is a Decathlon just across the street. If buying poles is in your plans, that might be an option.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
what is a tarjeta dorada card.
Tarjeta dorada (Gold card):

For peope 60 or more years old, it is a train discount card/ticket. You buy it for 6 Euros at the train station with/before your first train ticket, and it gives you a 25% discount on all train travels in Spain for 12 months.

Tarjeta dorada (Gold card):

For peope 60 or more years old, it is a train discount card/ticket. You buy it for 6 Euros at the train station with/before your first train ticket, and it gives you a 25% discount on all train travels in Spain for 12 months.
I want to add that we were able to get our cards updated for 3 years and even that was at a discount. Instead of 18 euros for three years it was 15 euros for three years. Supposedly you can do that extension process online, but RENFE never likes my US credit card so we just did it in person this year.

Ours are just boring little paper cards and it could be easy to lose or get them wet and run the ink. We can buy RENFE tickets online (I use Trainline for this) using the discount with the number we were issued but we are often "spot checked" by the conductor to make sure we have TD card and it is really us.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
To cut it short: If you are 60 or more of age, buy a Tarjeta Dorada at the first train station, and then go at min. 25% discounts on all train travels for a full year in Spain.

Trying to work out my journey from Madrid to Pamplona. Train or bus? I thought there was a bus from T4 to Pamplona. Who do I book train or bus? Thanks

Trying to work out my journey from Madrid to Pamplona. Train or bus? I thought there was a bus from T4 to Pamplona. Who do I book train or bus? Thanks
You thought correctly; there is a bus; there are also trains which involve you first travelling into central Madrid. Both are decent options with the bus being cheaper.

‘Rome to Rio’ isn’t a bad place to start.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
what is a tarjeta dorada card.
It means Golden Ticket. It is card that gives you about 25% off Renfe train tickets if you are 60 or older. It is my understanding that this card must be purchased at a Renfe station where you show proof of age to the agent and pay 6 euros cash. Once you have your Tarjeta Dorada you can apply it to purchases online or in person. It is valid for a year. I’ve already used mine three times. The trains are super fast and comfortable. Happy travels. Paul

Alsa is the national bus company and has several buses per day that leave T4 for Pamplona. Jimenez is another company that also has buses to Pamplona from the airport. You can look at bus times for the near future, but realize that companies don't release their tickets for sale until about a month from departure. You can download the Alsa app or buy online or just wait until you arrive to buy a ticket at T4. This summer I lost a non-refundable ticket due to flight snafus causing me to arrive in Spain a day later than expected. If you buy ahead to time check the details to see if you can change your ticket if needed.

You thought correctly; there is a bus; there are also trains which involve you first travelling into central Madrid. Both are decent options with the bus being cheaper.

‘Rome to Rio’ isn’t a bad place to start.
Thanks for reply.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Alsa is the national bus company and has several buses per day that leave T4 for Pamplona. Jimenez is another company that also has buses to Pamplona from the airport. You can look at bus times for the near future, but realize that companies don't release their tickets for sale until about a month from departure. You can download the Alsa app or buy online or just wait until you arrive to buy a ticket at T4. This summer I lost a non-refundable ticket due to flight snafus causing me to arrive in Spain a day later than expected. If you buy ahead to time check the details to see if you can change your ticket if needed.
Thank you so much for the reply.

I've been trying to book the noon jimenez bus from MAD T4 to Logrono all day. I waited until it showed up on their website/schedules. I selected the ticket and the seat but I keep getting an error loading the actual payment page. Anyone else have issues with this? I registered with them and tried a different browser. Thoughts? I get into MAD at 10:00 am so that's the earliest/easiest bus (other than racing to Avenida Americas for the 12:15 Alsa bus.)

I've been trying to book the noon jimenez bus from MAD T4 to Logrono all day. I waited until it showed up on their website/schedules. I selected the ticket and the seat but I keep getting an error loading the actual payment page. Anyone else have issues with this? I registered with them and tried a different browser. Thoughts? I get into MAD at 10:00 am so that's the earliest/easiest bus (other than racing to Avenida Americas for the 12:15 Alsa bus.)
When are you travelling?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I sometimes have trouble with my US credit card and Renfe online although I have not had trouble with any bus tickets. One of the moderators uses PayPal.

I looked on Trainline and it says there is also an Alsa bus from T4 at noon? I don't know the dates you are trying to book for. Usually Trainline does accept my US credit card.

I selected the ticket and the seat but I keep getting an error loading the actual payment page. Anyone else have issues with this? I registered with them and tried a different browser. Thoughts?

I see on the website that payment by credit card requires 2-step authentication. If your credit card cannot do this you need to contact your card issuer. Many Spanish websites require this now. You can tell from these labels on the Jimenez website:
1692044387851.png

I booked 2 days ago. I downloaded the Alsa App and had no trouble - for the 1st Sept

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
so I am arriving in MAD T4 on Wednesday Sept 13. I know there's an ALSA bus at noon, but it leaves from Avenida America (I want to avoid a mad dash into Madrid, don't know if my flight will arrive on time at 10am or not) As for the credit card, I don't even get to the page to input the card information; I just constantly receive a "ERROR AL REGISTRAR EL PAGO" . I've tried using Google Chrome, Safari and today, Firefox. On both my laptop and desktop. No luck.

UPDATE !!
I gave it one last shot and used my iPhone. It worked. I was able to get to the page to put my payment information in and it was accepted no problem (Chase CC) Thank you everyone. Hopefully this will help someone else down the line.

so I am arriving in MAD T4 on Wednesday Sept 13. I know there's an ALSA bus at noon, but it leaves from Avenida America (I want to avoid a mad dash into Madrid, don't know if my flight will arrive on time at 10am or not) As for the credit card, I don't even get to the page to input the card information; I just constantly receive a "ERROR AL REGISTRAR EL PAGO" . I've tried using Google Chrome, Safari and today, Firefox. On both my laptop and desktop. No luck.

UPDATE !!
I gave it one last shot and used my iPhone. It worked. I was able to get to the page to put my payment information in and it was accepted no problem (Chase CC) Thank you everyone. Hopefully this will help someone else down the line.
Best wishes on your travel. Do you know if you can change your ticket if needed? I think I mentioned that my flight delay caused us to get to Spain a day later than planned and I lost train tickets because I did not buy a ticket that could be changed. Anyway, it is good to check and be aware just in case.

UPDATE !!
That is great to hear x

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have taken both the bus to Pamplona and the train to Pamplona, although I prefer the bus out of T4 as it is quite easy, especially for a newbie.
Otherwise, I usually use Trainline as I've had no problem navigating their website, and my US credit card always has worked.

Best wishes on your travel. Do you know if you can change your ticket if needed? I think I mentioned that my flight delay caused us to get to Spain a day later than planned and I lost train tickets because I did not buy a ticket that could be changed. Anyway, it is good to check and be aware just in case.
only up until two hours before departure it seems, though at €21 I won't sweat it too much:

"La anulación de billetes solo es posible si se realiza, al menos, 2 horas antes del inicio del servicio, debiéndose personar el viajero en los puntos de venta de la empresa (taquillas) dentro de su horario comercial. Los billetes adquiridos en nuestra web podrán ser anulados por los mismos canales donde fueron adquiridos.

En caso de anulación de billete la empresa devolverá al viajero el importe del billete deduciendo un 10% del mismo, cuando se solicite antes de las 48 horas de la salida del servicio. Si la anulación se solicita entre las 48 horas y 2 horas antes de la salida del servicio, se devolverá al viajero el importe del billete deduciendo un 20% del mismo. No se procederá a la anulación, ni por consiguiente la devolución de su importe, dentro de las 2 horas inmediatamente anteriores al inicio del servicio. No se procederá en ningún caso a la devolución del coste de gestión."

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back