To: St. Jean from Mtl, Canada and getting back from where???

DarBur

Dec 11, 2012
Time of past OR future Camino
July 2013
HELP, help, help.

I want to travel from Montreal to begin the Camino, either in St. Jean or in Pamplona and then leave from the nearest airport to Santiago (or Finisterre should I go the extra miles). Is there anyone who has done this? Any travel advice. Please and thank you :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

CaminoGen

CF May-June 2011; Oloron to Fisterra Sept-Oct 2013
Jul 2, 2010
Physically... Montréal, Québec but my heart is on
Camino frances-SJPP. Santiago (2011); Oloron to Fisterra (Sept 5-Oct 23 2013)
The cheapest and fastest way I found was to travel with Air Transat or Corsair with an open-jaw ticket from Montreal to Bordeaux and Paris to Montreal. You then take the train to Bayonne and SJPP. It's a long day but you get into SJPP at around 4PM. Getting out of Santiago is easiest to do via Paris since there are direct flights. A plane ticket from Santiago to Paris is around 90$ and it doesn't rush you for your return; you can sleep at one of the CDG airport hotels and take the shuttle back for the 1PM flight home. You can also fly in and out of Paris and fly to Biarritz, take the train from Bayonne to SJPP.

W

whariwharangi

I went from Vancouver to London. Heathrow

From London (Stansted) I went to Biarritz (Bayonne) by Ryan Air.

I wasn't sure where I would be when my trip finished and was considering to travel for a while after the camino. Easy Jet, Ryan Air, and a host of other discount airlines fly from various airports to London. I think Ryan Air has a flight from Santiago to London.

I went bus from Finisterre and train from Santiago to get to Madrid in one long day. I flew Easy Jet to London from Madrid.

One advantage of London is Britain is not a Schengen country so time spent there does not count toward your 90 days.

Santiago is well connected with several planes, trains, and buses daily. All you have to decide is when and where.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
D

Deleted member 3000

On Iberia:
Montreal › London

Departure
22:10 / Montreal , P Trudeau International
Arrival
9:35 Day / London , Heathrow , Terminal 5

Departure
11:10 / London , Heathrow , Terminal 5
Arrival
14:45 / Madrid , Barajas , Terminal 4

Departure
16:35 / Madrid , Barajas , Terminal 4
Arrival
17:30 / Pamplona

Duration
13h: 20m

JOURNEY2 -
Santiago de Compostela › Madrid

Departure
9:15 / Santiago de Compostela
Arrival
10:30 / Madrid , Barajas , Terminal 4

Departure
12:40 / Madrid , Barajas , Terminal 4
Arrival
14:05 / London , Heathrow , Terminal 5

Departure
18:15 / London , Heathrow , Terminal 5
Arrival
20:20 / Montreal , P Trudeau International

Duration
17h: 5m
Take the bus from Pamplona to SJPdP.

There is no airport near Fisterra.

Buen camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

lightup25

Mar 26, 2013
(2013)
I'm flying Toronto - Montreal - Paris and catching the train to SJPP. I'm not going straight back home after my camino, but from what I've looked into, you have quite a few options to get back to Montreal via larger cities, eg. Madrid and Lisbon. Santiago de Compostela is well connected with transportation.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

DarBur

Dec 11, 2012
July 2013
Awesome, thanks all for the advice - air transat seems to be the most direct and least expensive for now. One last question: I thought that when booking a ticket from Canada to Europe you had to book a return trip - has anyone ever left it open?

Love this forum - also if anyone is planning on being crazy like me and doing it early July (I teach so this is my travel time) - let me know I will look out for you on the camino!

Victor Morgado

Mar 29, 2013
(1991) (1995) (1996)
Do not just begin in Pamplona. you will miss a great beginning...plus Pamplona is always a huge distraction that sets the tone...there is no immediate plunge into the Camino if you begin by Pamplona, but rather a delay illusion of the Camino for a few more days...also the climb from st Jean prepares you to the climb after Pamplona ( El monte del Perdón) it is actually not such an easy climb and it is probably the last tough etapa until galicia..

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

MiriaBD

Mar 25, 2013
Junio (2013)
Hola peregrinos, I will fly Atlanta to Madrid, and planning take a train to Pamplona to start El Camino. I have only 9 days, someone knows if I can take any transportation between towns. I'm traveling with 2 teens, Gracias

lightup25

Mar 26, 2013
(2013)
DarBur said:
Awesome, thanks all for the advice - air transat seems to be the most direct and least expensive for now. One last question: I thought that when booking a ticket from Canada to Europe you had to book a return trip - has anyone ever left it open?

Last time I went to Europe I got a one-way ticket there, and I had no problem getting a one-way ticket back when I was ready to leave. I know that both Air Transat and Icelandair let you get one-way tickets without punishing you with insane prices. You can also check flight search engines regularly to see what's available. Last time, I was able to get a cheap one on Skyscanner and flew with Spanair (but operated by Air Canada).

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
Hi , I'm looking for some advice. I'm flying to Madrid and catching a bus to Burgos to walk to León. I'm using a light weight foldable bag for my rucksack & poles but I would rather leave the...
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
Some news that was posted on Facebook by Johnnie Walker which I'm sure he won't mind my repeating here. Not sure who his informant was. The post was quite long but I'll just repost it here in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides