• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best way to get to St. Jean Pied de Port from Ontario Canada

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello from st Thomas Ont.

Many opinions, but I feel that the best way is to fly into Porto Airport. Stay the night at the local albergue. The town van trasfer guy at the airport spoke english and knew where it was. He drove me straight there for 10 euro. Nice little albergue too. Next day go back to the airport and fly to Biarritz.

From there a bus to Bayonne and choo choo to SJPDP. When you are done, it is easy to get to Porto airport after reaching Santiago.

For me, this was much easier than to Paris etc.. and then getting back to Paris at the end like I did the first time.

If you are close to St thomas/London area, we could get together sometime if you like.

Here is the cost of a random flight Porto to Biarritz that I just picked.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• OPO to BIQ.jpg
    OPO to BIQ.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 40
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What I did was a one-way flight from Toronto to Paris; a couple of days in Paris to allow for jet lag recovery; then TGV train from Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne and a local train to SJPP, but you can also take/share a taxi from Bayonne depending on timing. To return, a bus from Santiago to Porto, and a direct flight to Toronto after a couple of days of sightseeing in Porto. Worked out very well for me.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Many opinions, but I feel that the best way is to fly into Porto Airport. Stay the night at the local albergue. The town van trasfer guy at the airport spoke english and knew where it was. He drove me straight there for 10 euro. Nice little albergue too. Next day go back to the airport and fly to Biarritz.

From there a bus to Bayonne and choo choo to SJPDP. When you are done, it is easy to get to Porto airport after reaching Santiago.

For me, this was much easier than to Paris etc.. and then getting back to Paris at the end like I did the first time.

If you are close to St thomas/London area, we could get together sometime if you like.

Enjoy!
Hi Terri. Thanks for your suggestion. I'm in Ottawa and probably will be flying our of Toronto or Montreal. Next May-June God willing.

My Canadian Pilgrim buddy lives in Ontario. She flew direct to Bordeaux, France from Montreal. I flew to meet her there, from the UK. We then took the train to Bayonne and changed to the little train to St Jean Pied de Port. It was super easy and Bordeaux is a very nice place to spend a day getting over jet lag.

She flew home from Lisbon this time but has previously flown from Porto. Both have good transport links from Santiago and are nice places if you have a day or 2 spare.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Air Transat from Montreal to Bordeaux and then train (Bus at Airport takes you to train station) to St-Jean-Pied de Port. Flights usually start early May.

My Canadian Pilgrim buddy lives in Ontario. She flew direct to Bordeaux, France from Montreal. I flew to meet her there, from the UK. We then took the train to Bayonne and changed to the little train to St Jean Pied de Port. It was super easy and Bordeaux is a very nice place to spend a day getting over jet lag.

She flew home from Lisbon this time but has previously flown from Porto. Both have good transport links from Santiago and are nice places if you have a day or 2 spare.
Thank you.

Thank you.

What I did was a one-way flight from Toronto to Paris; a couple of days in Paris to allow for jet lag recovery; then TGV train from Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne and a local train to SJPP, but you can also take/share a taxi from Bayonne depending on timing. To return, a bus from Santiago to Porto, and a direct flight to Toronto after a couple of days of sightseeing in Porto. Worked out very well for me.
This is exactly what I did from London Ontario and it worked like a charm! It was nice to spend a few days in Paris and Porto if you have the time.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The issue is how do you define “best.” Is your “best” the fastest way? The Cheapest way? The easiest? Safest? Most comfortable? Most beautiful? Least number of connections? And so on. More clarity on your part (and all future question askers) will result in responses more in tune with your needs.

Hi everyone.
I suppose this is a question more for my Canadian friends from Ontario. What is the best, fastest way to get to St. Jean in France from Ontario Canada?
Thank you.
Hi Reggitano52 - I live in Ottawa too. We usually take the train directly to PET Airport in Montreal where Air Transat has overnight flights directly to Bordeaux in France, arriving in early morning. From that airport we make our way by bus to the train station in Bordeaux city centre where you can get a TGV to Bayonne. From there it’s another picturesque train to St Jean Pied de Porte, arriving in the early afternoon.You can do it all in one journey or break it up by staying one night in lovely Bordeaux to get over jet lag. Buen Camino !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The issue is how do you define “best.” Is your “best” the fastest way? The Cheapest way? The easiest? Safest? Most comfortable? Most beautiful? Least number of connections? And so on. More clarity on your part (and all future question askers) will result in responses more in tune with your needs.
Hello. I appreciate your response and I should have been more clear. My question should have stated what is the most direct route to St. Jean.
🙏

Took bus from Ottawa to Montreal Airport, flew Air Transat from Montreal to Bordeaux direct. Air flights were booked four months ahead as a multi-destination flight. Bordeaux is a relatively small airport so it is easy to navigate. Stayed in Bordeaux for a day to get over jet lag.

Took train from Bordeaux to Bayonne and then train from Bayonne to St. Jean Pied de Port. Booked trains using Trainline app approximately two months before departure. All connections worked without a hitch and I could access my tickets electronically on the app.

At the end, took a bus from Santiago to Porto. Stayed two days to explore the city and then flew direct from Porto to Montreal with Air Transat. It was very stress-free and I didn’t have to worry about connection times.

Hi everyone.
I suppose this is a question more for my Canadian friends from Ontario. What is the best, fastest way to get to St. Jean in France from Ontario Canada?
Thank you.
I flew from Vancouver to Paris, CDG. Train to SJPdP with 2 transfers. Took 7 hours but worked like a charm. Booked the train through Rome2Rio. Buen Camino!

Hi everyone.
Thank you.
@Reggitano52
I did that (April/2022) from YYZ to Paris , ( CDG) get the flight to Biarritz , and make arrangement with Cab service ( EXPRESS BOURICOTT spelling!! *) to SJPP,
it depends how many are in the van to SJPP, more people , less the cost ,
On return ,
I took the fast train to Madrid ( stayed there 4 days) from Santiago (four days after my Walk ) and then fly to Paris and home YYZ ,
it is not that complicated.
Wish I could do it agin.. 😂
wishing you the best on your journey.
BUEN CAMINO ! 🇨🇦

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
This is exactly what I did as well and it worked out great. I would do the same again.

Hi everyone.
Thank you.
Fly to Paris by Air transact; arrive Paris in the morning.

Spend a day in Paris, to deal with "jetlag", if necessary, or/and some sightseeing.

Stay in Paris overnight, take an early train, relaxingly, to SJPP.

Stay in SJPP overnight and head out to "conquer" the Pyrenees energetically first thing next morning and arrive in Roncesvalles in the afternoon.

Note: In Paris, St. Christopher's Inn is a hotel for backpackers.

Count me in the "Fly to Paris (CdG), spend the night (or 2 or 3) and take a train from Gare de Montparnasse to SJPdP" crowd. I guess if you truly time it right you can go GdG --> Gare de Montparnasse in one day but IMHO that's just too much hustle for no reason at all. Take just a little time off (if anything shake of the jet lag if you're one of the people who are prone to it) and enjoy a little slice of Paris of your choosing.
You may want to consider to get a hotel\albergue in the vicinity of GdM so then it's literally a cakewalk tomorrow morning
Good luck & Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is no single "best" way to get to St. Jean Pied de Port from anywhere!

You must search all possibilities and see what works best for your situation. It is very helpful to have previous independent travel experience in Europe before planning your Camino. It requires much more planning than a tourist destination.

-Paul

Took bus from Ottawa to Montreal Airport, flew Air Transat from Montreal to Bordeaux direct. Air flights were booked four months ahead as a multi-destination flight. Bordeaux is a relatively small airport so it is easy to navigate. Stayed in Bordeaux for a day to get over jet lag.

Took train from Bordeaux to Bayonne and then train from Bayonne to St. Jean Pied de Port. Booked trains using Trainline app approximately two months before departure. All connections worked without a hitch and I could access my tickets electronically on the app.

At the end, took a bus from Santiago to Porto. Stayed two days to explore the city and then flew direct from Porto to Montreal with Air Transat. It was very stress-free and I didn’t have to worry about connection times.
Thanks very much.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi everyone.
Thank you.
I flew Vancouver to Toronto to Madrid. Same day flew to Pamplona and stayed the night there. Woke up refreshed, took the 12 noon bus (which was only 17 euros) and arrived with no jet lag in SJPP.

Enjoy!
Hello, from St. Marys, Ontario. I would love to get together sometime, coffee or something I am hoping to do the SJPDP way 🤞next year. Ann

LOL Let's add one more to the mix. Toronto to Biarritz(Bayonne) and then taxi or train to SJPdP. I recommend KLM/AirFrance as they have better service than Air Canada. Choose a multi-city flight to allow flying home from Santiago or Madrid if touristing afterwards. My flight was Toronto-Paris-Biarritz and home Barcelona-Paris-Toronto. Booking with one airline instead of multiples is best for ease of transfers and luggage.

As always when booking a long flight it is worth prepaying for your seats! Check the seating maps when booking and get the bulkhead/extra leg room options, there is no need to suffer! Give yourself a couple of nights when you arrive to adjust prior to walking. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello, from St. Marys, Ontario. I would love to get together sometime, coffee or something I am hoping to do the SJPDP way 🤞next year. Ann
Hi Ann. Not sure where St. Mary’s is but I’m in Ottawa. I’m on Facebook if you like to private message me to chat.

LOL Let's add one more to the mix. Toronto to Biarritz(Bayonne) and then taxi or train to SJPdP. I recommend KLM/AirFrance as they have better service than Air Canada. Choose a multi-city flight to allow flying home from Santiago or Madrid if touristing afterwards. My flight was Toronto-Paris-Biarritz and home Barcelona-Paris-Toronto. Booking with one airline instead of multiples is best for ease of transfers and luggage.

As always when booking a long flight it is worth prepaying for your seats! Check the seating maps when booking and get the bulkhead/extra leg room options, there is no need to suffer! Give yourself a couple of nights when you arrive to adjust prior to walking. Buen Camino!
Thank you.

Hi Ann!

I have so much that I could show you here in St Thomas, and my wife and I would like to welcome you anytime ! If we are too far for you, we could meetup in London if you like. I am going back for my 5th in the spring. You can DM me at terrykvinet@gmail.com

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Terri. Thanks for your suggestion. I'm in Ottawa and probably will be flying our of Toronto or Montreal. Next May-June God willing.
While this doesn’t directly answer your question here’s something to consider (I have flown from both Ottawa and Montreal - if you choose Ottawa you will most likely have to make connections in Montreal or Toronto anyway). But on to something to consider - Here’s what I have done my last three times - Fly in to Madrid and fly home from Porto. I have discovered that multi city flights like that are almost the same price as round trip to/from the same city.

I like this because Porto is sooooo easy to get to from Santiago (2-3 hrs by bus) and it is a beautiful city to spend a few post Camino days before heading home

Hi everyone.
Thank you.
I fly Toronto to Montreal to paris to Biarritz, then train to sjpdp....returned santiago to paris to Montreal to Toronto. I purchased the paris to biarritz and the santiago to paris flights separate from the other. It is a bit of a risk if ones late because the other isn't covered, but it worked well for me.

Hi everyone.
Thank you.
I flew TO to Toulouse. Took the train to Bayonne (slept in a hostel near the train) in the morning I took an easy train ride into sjpdp. I've done lots of other ways but this proved the most economic and easiest.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We started on el Norte in Irun, but our flight with Air Canada/Lufthansa went Vancouver-Toronto-Frankfurt-Pamplona. We took the rail to Irun, but you can take the bus Pamplona to SJPP

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello. I appreciate your response and I should have been more clear. My question should have stated what is the most direct route to St. Jean.

1) pack everything into a water tight barrel
2) Ottawa down the Rideau Canal (trail if you prefer) to Kingston
3) Swim down the S Laurent, out into the Atlantic, take a grand circle route to the Bay of Biscay, land at Biarritz
4) Train to S Jean
5) discard barrel
6) start walking

May not be the quickest but certainly the most direct.

Hello, my son and I are staying overnight at Bordeaux. Just wondering where you stayed. Don't know anything about Bordeaux. Hope to hear from you. Regards Kat

Hello, my son and I are staying overnight at Bordeaux. Just wondering where you stayed. Don't know anything about Bordeaux. Hope to hear from you. Regards Kat
My friend booked this:
Hotel Notre Dame
36-38 rue Notre Dame
+33 5 56 52 88 24
It was near enough to walk and explore yet quiet at night. I only spent an evening there but it is a nice place. There's a large river and you can walk alongside where it's car free but near restaurants etc. The railway station is quite near the river too. All walkable from where we stayed. I did take a taxi from the airport but there are public transport options too. Bordeaux has a lot of hotels. Hope you enjoy it.
Caroline

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
1) pack everything into a water tight barrel
2) Ottawa down the Rideau Canal (trail if you prefer) to Kingston
3) Swim down the S Laurent, out into the Atlantic, take a grand circle route to the Bay of Biscay, land at Biarritz
4) Train to S Jean
5) discard barrel
6) start walking

May not be the quickest but certainly the most direct.
Quite sarcastic and not funny. My question was genuine. Your response is not appreciated. I've had many great suggestions. Yours is not one of them. Have a buen Camino amigo.

Last year, in September, I spent one night in Bordeaux on my way to SJPP. Then, in November, I spent another night there on my way back to Paris to catch my flight home. Both times I stayed at the Best Western Plus Hotel Gare Saint-Jean. The staff, the room, and the breakfast were excellent. It is a very short walk from the train station. Bordeaux is beautiful!

My question was genuine
I agree, your query was genuine.

Another contributor asked about the most direct route. I was replying to that query. That contributor has recognised the spirit in which I replied.

In what is a very well moderated forum, you will meet a wide variety of responses, many are unhelpful and some even downright dangerous. But all are well meant. And, of course, the forum as a whole "owns" both questions and replies.

Like beauty, humour is in the head of the reader. On this occasion, at least one contributor recognised that.

I wish you kia kaha (take care, be strong)

My friend booked this:
Hotel Notre Dame
36-38 rue Notre Dame
+33 5 56 52 88 24
It was near enough to walk and explore yet quiet at night. I only spent an evening there but it is a nice place. There's a large river and you can walk alongside where it's car free but near restaurants etc. The railway station is quite near the river too. All walkable from where we stayed. I did take a taxi from the airport but there are public transport options too. Bordeaux has a lot of hotels. Hope you enjoy it.
Caroline
Thank you so much. Just had a look on Booking.com and it that the Hotel Notre Dame has no availability, so I might call them direct on the number you have given me. Really appreciate your reply.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back