• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

? To take our gortex jackets on Via de la Plata in May/Jun

rlt

Hi,
My name is Lou and with my husband we are walking on the Via de la Plata for our 2nd camino in May/June this year.
We had a wet and very cold first camino last April/May walking from Salamanca to Santiago. We still enjoyed the experience so much and decided to finish the Via de la Plata this year, walking from Sevilla to Salamanca. Packing carefully so as not to overload, we wondered if it was necessary to take our gortex jackets since it is almost summer? I weigh 50kg so must travel light with 10% of my body weight in my pack.
I am sure someone has the answer to this.
Many thanks,
Lou

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi - I am assuming that you are walking south of Salamanca? The further south you go the less chance of rain. I've been on the Via de la Plata in this area at that time and the weather was beautiful and I needed sunscreen.

I've been looking at the data for May/June last year for the weather station serving Merida and surroundings - it was dry consistently on the days I checked. But these days comparing one day against another doesn't necessarily help. I realise this doesn't answer your question I would be inclined to check the long range forecast for where you are walking just before you go and take the decision then.

Buen camino

John

I always carry a waterproof coat. Even on he VdlP at that time of year it could rain and when it does it's usually heavy, although looking at statistics it will probably be hot and sunny. Also, I never saw many shops where you could buy trekking gear and when I did it was expensive.
I've just seen the Sevilla forecast and it's 28 C (82 F) with no cloud!!!

Have a great Camino.

Andrew.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
rlt said:
we wondered if it was necessary to take our gortex jackets since it is almost summer?
Lou

I took my gortex jacket on the VdlP April/May 2008, Norte August/Sept 2009, Voie de Vezelay etc May/July 2010.

I have worn it twice.

This year I will take it on the Via Francigena. Together with an umbrella which I have used far more than the jacket.

We will be there at the same time as you, (for the second time) and have packed our rain jackets. We used them last time about 3 or 4 times. We second-guessed it this time but decided to pre-forgive ourselves for a dumb decision and take them.

So whatever - just roll the dice. "Do you feel lucky today? Do you?"

Buen camino!

AJ said:
rlt said:
Together with an umbrella which I have used far more than the jacket.

Pilgrims tend not to use umbrellas - I suppose they aren't aprt of the image. And an umbrella is highly practical for long distance walking. It can serve as a parasol, a walking stick if needed and of source for rain protection. An option would be to check the weather forecast before you go and if rain is not predicted leave the rain gear...if then en route you see on the very accurate and ubiquitous weather forecasts on Spanish TV that there will be rain - buy an umbrella!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It is pretty hard to gamble.

For me, days I needed to use rain gear (I had only walk in Spring - Apr/May/June):

2 days for Camino Frances
0 days for Camino Primitivo (super lucky)
5 days for Camino via de la Plata (mainly in the north crossing over to Galacia. Very, very wet in the 3 out of 5 days)

After looking at the umbrella option, I think I would try it for my next camino. How does one tackle carrying an umbrella with a walking stick?

My brother set up a velcro strap arrangement so that he could fasten the collapsible umbrella to his pack shoulder strap. It worked very well except in wind.

I'm a runner, and a Gortex jacket to me is a very, very warm coat you use to run in when it's near 0. Although it repels water, It's not the same as a lighter-weight raincoat. So I'm not sure exactly what type of coat you're thinking of taking. But I can tell you that I've twice used this GREAT North Face Flight Series raincoat on the VDLP. It's very warm (I get cold easily) and repels water well. It's also very light and compact.

I just looked now to see if I can find it online, but I couldn't (even though it's only about 3 years old), but the coat at this link looks similar:

http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/ ... tionId=H56

Melanie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked the VdlP in April/May 2006 and April/May 2010. Hardly needed my poncho in 2006 but very glad to have it last year. I had a couple days of steady rain and swollen creeks before reaching Merida last year and was very glad to have it.

Personally, I would not leave home without it.

David, Victoria, Canada.

Hi,
Thanks to everyone who replied! My point was, is the jacket too warm for May 8th /June 6th on Via de la Plata walking from Seville to Salamanca only? We already have ponchos for rain. Last year on our first camino, we walked from Salamanca to Santiago and it was cold and wet. The gortex jackets were excellent. After our walk this time, we fly off to Barcelona to meet family.
Regards,
Lou

That's a good tip Falcon, velcro the umbrella to the backpack.

That or someone invent a walking stick with a built-in umbrella. :wink:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Lou -

Sorry I missed the section you're walking. We only encountered one day of rain around Real de la Jara at the beginning of May, otherwise the rain was mostly further north and in Galicia. f I were walking the section Sevilla to Salamanca, I would not take my rain jacket. Still a gamble but a small one.

I would not take my rain jacket. Still a gamble but a small one.
A gamble lost if it rains for a week straight! If you are just looking at rain wear as a contingency item, take a jacket that weight under 8 ounces. There are plenty out there. My Altus is also a ground cover, blanket, jacket, and pack cover. For a pound, I get a lot of uses!

rlt said:
My point was, is the jacket too warm for May 8th /June 6th on Via de la Plata walking from Seville to Salamanca only? We already have ponchos for rain.Lou

To answer your question - in my view during the time to which you refer you will not need gortex jackets. You have ponchos in the unlikely event that it rains. If you are cold in the evenings after walking you can put on an extra layer.

Buen Camino
John

€83,-
Thanks everyone for your answers to my question whether to take a jacket or not in May/June on Via de la Plata this year.
I will make the final decision closer to departure.
I will do anything to keep my backpack light!
I know that a jacket can provide padding on the shoulders for the backpack.
Regards,
Lou

May/June is going to be warm - take a poncho in case of rain. The most interesting sight that I saw - and very practical, was on the Le Puy route in August. Two girls wearing very little,so it didn't matter if they got wet, but making sure that their back packs were well covered with black bin bags!

A hooded sweat top is also good padding for your shoulders - and good for cool mornings. But honestly, as you walk your shoulders get stronger, and you wont need the padding...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you've bought a good pack that fits you well, and it's not too heavy, you needn't worry about adding any further padding for your shoulders.

Re padding for shoulders, last year I used sheepskin car seat belt sleeves. In Australia these are available from motor accessory stores, and cost $25 for a pair and have a velcro fastening so are very easy to fix. I used them because I have various bits of metal in one shoulder due to a repair job for an old injury, and were very successful. I did not see anyone else with these on my Camino Frances last year. Camino-David

Oops. Re padding for shoulders, I should have said that these sheepskin sleeves fit over the shoulder straps of the backpack. Camino-David

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
David,

It's sound like a fine idea, as long as you don't meet some sheperd dog along the way that decides to get you back in the flock. :|

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.